Gov't site wrong on 2nd Amendment

This is a discussion on Gov't site wrong on 2nd Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting article: http://foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?p...55.proteus.fma...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gov't site wrong on 2nd Amendment

Gov't site wrong on 2nd Amendment

2. Remove Ads

The Government misunderstands the constitution?? Oh say it ain't so. These folks did not have to pass an IQ test to get elected. Nor a background check./
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I think they know exactly what the Constitution says and the correct interpretation. But, they will never cease trying to change the debate.
    Ksgunner likes this.

I question anyone's English abilities that misunderstands the 2A. Or it could be motivated reasoning.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Perhaps, pressing "1" for English would help...Oh, We already do that..
    ZOMBIEvs42 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

The government does not misunderstand the constitution, the statement is not a lie, the statement is, in fact, 100% TRUE.

This is the statement:

"Whether this provision protects the individual's right to own firearms or whether it deals only with the collective right of the people to arm and maintain a militia has long been debated."

For Rudy's sake... We still debate it here. And 99.99% of us believe it's an individual right. It has been long debated, it will long be debated.

For now, as far as SCOTUS is concerned, it is stare decisis as far as the individual right to KEEP arms. To "bear" arms ? ? ?

Well, even in "keeping" SCOTUS determined that it was subject to "reasonable restrictions." (good thing they didn't say "common sense," ay?).

Sorry, Fox is wrong, it is still being debated.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

The current administration knows exactly what it wants and it is not the 2nd Amendment.
    knight65 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Typical government twisting of meanings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Actually if the 2nd applied to individuals or militia was long debated and was settled by the SCOTUS in 2010.

Correct Outwestsystems. 2010 was the year that it was "finalized". The debate "should be over" but, well, with Washington???? A 5-4 ruling isn't decisive but will now be harder to overturn. The following from the Washington Post June 29, 2010.

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., who wrote the opinion for the court's dominant conservatives, said: "It is clear that the Framers . . . counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty."

The decision extended the court's 2008 ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller that "the Second Amendment protects a personal right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes, most notably for self-defense within the home." That decision applied only to federal laws and federal enclaves such as Washington; it was the first time the court had said there was an individual right to gun ownership rather than one related to military service
    Last edited by farsidefan1; September 26th, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: providing source
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Just more from our illustrious leaders.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

The entire constitution is directed towards the individual's rights. Why would only one specific ammendment out of the bunch (coincidentally the 2nd), be intended as an exception, with no specific wording to do so?
    Jaeger and knight65 like this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Because without it all the rest are just words KimBobTex. The 2A gives us the right to protect the rest of our rights and fight tyranny. Without it they can use force against us to do whatever they want, and make us pursue whatever makes them feel good about themselves. In the end, that what just about every progressive argument is about, making the holder of it fell better about themselves. They don't care what the result of it is, because it's an instant gratification equation.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I'm with ya all the way Jaeger. The 2A is the "TEETH" to the whole document. It's just my way of pointing out the absurdity to think that only the 2A does not apply to the individual, when all the rest do. It's the left's argument that the 2A applies only to state militias, and not the individual.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

One or two SCOTUS appointments by Obama, and there will be no Second Amendment. It will be gutted on a fast track.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links