a bit of history on gun control

This is a discussion on a bit of history on gun control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; interesting article on the history of gun laws and gun right activism in America. The Secret History of Guns - Adam Winkler - The Atlantic...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By loboleather

Thread: a bit of history on gun control

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar

Lightbulb a bit of history on gun control

interesting article on the history of gun laws and gun right activism in America.

The Secret History of Guns - Adam Winkler - The Atlantic
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Some of the earliest gun control laws were Jim Crow laws aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of newly emancipated ex slaves.
    msgt/ret and Warrior1256 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Good article, thanks. Looks like the book from which it is excerpted will be a good read as well...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    Lengthy but a good read. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Good article Thanks for posting

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Some of the earliest gun control laws were Jim Crow laws aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of newly emancipated ex slaves.
    Correct, now they want to make ALL of us peons into slaves to big government but first they have to disarm us.

Nearly all so-called "gun control" laws in the United States have come about as a result of efforts to deny arms to minorities (slaves, then freedmen). Permits to carry, licensing schemes, registration schemes, these all have deep roots in pre-Civil War history. Following the Civil War in many parts of the country (the deep South undeniably, but also in many states of the industrialized North) there were many, many local and state laws passed in attempts to prevent blacks (and other minorities) from arming themselves in self defense, nearly always promoted as public safety measures.

Passage of the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution (essentially extending civil liberties under the Bill of Rights to all states) was done in large measure as a means of assuring that black citizens were not deprived the right to keep and bear arms (see period commentaries as well as the Congressional Record of the times).

"Gun control" has always been about "people control", and it has always been about one group of people demanding control over the lives of other people. The cast of characters has changed but the overriding imperatives have not. There will always be those who are convinced that they are intellectually and morally superior to the common man, and there will always be those who believe that they should control the lives of others (for their own good, of course). There is little difference in the outcomes when comparing ruthless dictators ruling solely in their own interest and idealistic utopians set upon perfecting humanity on earth; the results will always be tyranny and destitution, as well as a permanent underclass.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Links