Questions on NY laws pertaining to out of staters

This is a discussion on Questions on NY laws pertaining to out of staters within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So if I have this right, if you are in the state of NY with a pistol and do not have a NY permit for ...

Thread: Questions on NY laws pertaining to out of staters

Questions on NY laws pertaining to out of staters

So if I have this right, if you are in the state of NY with a pistol and do not have a NY permit for it, it's jail time.
    What about a long gun in your vehicle? Does the magazine capacity thing come into play? Does it make a difference if the long gun is a shotgun with an extended tube or a 30-30? Is there a capacity each can only be loaded to, even if there is room for more? Or does the fact there is room for more make the gun illegal to have there?

Could someone from the next state over explain what is legal for me to have and if it can be hidden or not while traveling (not hunting)?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

It is my understanding from some online research, that nonresidents cannot "legally" posses a handgun in NY, even if the gun is secured in the vehicle and you are only driving through the state. I would like to go to Vermont, but from Ohio, I have no choice but to drive through NY if I want to go there. Looks like I won't be going to Vermont, and its the state of NY fault.

VIP Member
    Google FOPA 96....

Interstate transport from one place legally allowed to own to another, locked and unloaded.

Links