Top 11 most dangerous cities and gun control laws

This is a discussion on Top 11 most dangerous cities and gun control laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report I took an interest in this because ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Top 11 most dangerous cities and gun control laws

The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities: The 11 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - US News & World Report

I took an interest in this because of where I live: just on the outskirts of city #5 on the list of 11 most dangerous cities - Detroit, Michigan.

Michigan has fairly favorable gun laws. Shall issue CCW's. Open carry. A long hunting tradition. Yet Detroit makes the a Highest Crime list yearly.

And if you look at this list, ALL the cities listed belong to what we'd consider gun friendly states.

New York and Chicago, who we love to beat up on so much, rarely make these lists. Yet Miami, Orlando, Cleveland, Minneapolis and Detroit always seem to.

My point is, crime and gun control are, in fact, unrelated. Control or don't control all you want: crime will occur. Crime has more to do with socio-economic factors more than how many people own guns. I am armed for my own reasons: to ensure my family survives a crime should it happen. But citizens being armed doesn't seem to matter.

I know for a fact that if some idiot wants to break into my house, there's nothing I can do to stop him from doing it. I'll shoot and I'll defend but somewhere else, someone else is getting their home broken into. All I can hope to do is up my odds of survival. I don't think criminals care one lick if we, the good guys, are armed. By law, almost every law abiding citizen of my state should own a gun of some sort. It acts as no deterrent whatsoever.

Affluent cities like Santa Ana, San Jose, Fremont and Honolulu are in unconstitutionally restrictive firearms states yet they frequently appear in top 10 lists of lowest crime cities. Again. Gun control and crime don't correlate.

Feel free to debate. I'd be interested in everyone's points of view.
    Str8upguy, rcsoftexas and Sig 210 like this.

While overall crime may be high in bigger cities, It is crime that involves guns that I am interested in. As far as control is concerned, I wish there were some info available on the welfare systems in each of the cities. Gun control is not the only control being put on Americans....
    Badey and CIBMike like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    This includes both property crimes and violent crimes.

My primary concern is violent crime.

Regardless, I see that Atlanta is No. 2, but it's violent crime is slightly at the norm.

I personally don't care about making the argument between gun control laws and violent crime. To me it's pointless, and I agree that socio-economic factors weight more heavily than how many people own guns. The only single-variable systems are those we solve in our freshman algebra classes. One would be hard pressed to make the convincing argument that gun control is the major proximate cause of violence.

That being said, the only thing I care about is being able to defend myself and my family, no matter where I am. Too many politicians are government control freaks and are incapable of understanding that self defense is a natural right.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    You also have to wonder about the actual reporting from those cities who you would think make the list but somehow mysteriously never do, as to what the actual crime rate is, and how they may be manipulating the statistics.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    You also have to wonder about the actual reporting from those cities who you would think make the list but somehow mysteriously never do, as to what the actual crime rate is, and how they may be manipulating the statistics.
    I can attest first hand that the crime rates in Detroit are NOT made up. My buddy who used to live in Cleveland would say the same about that town.

VIP Member
    All i know is Baltimore deserves to be on the list and i live approx. 30 minutes from that dump . I should have the right to defend my family here .

And believe me whatever they kill you with bat, knife , gun , pipe , you will still be dead makes no difference how .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    The information in those "mini bite" reports was so lacking that I consider the whole thing meaningless. I noted that several cities in the gun friendly states had much lower rates of crime now. Most of the "reports" didn't even mention whether crime was trending up or down.

YES, I could look up the entire report and read it. BUT if those cities with falling crime rates are the worst, it must mean that crime rates are falling even more in the "unworst" cities. Else, how could the worst keep their high rankings?

I agree that our enforced poverty system (read that as welfare statism) is responsible for a huge amount of the crime that occurs. And it is also the poorest who either cannot afford protective devices (guns, alarm systems, large dogs to feed) and who in many cases are prohitibed "by law" from owning those things.

It is STILL a fact that as more honest people own guns, crime rates go down. Everywhere.

It is also a fact that as long as there are people there will be crime (and wars, and child abuse, and etc.). Sad, but true.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I don't have a solution for the socioeconomic problems especially given the present mountains of cash via Wall Street and it's unholy alliance with the Fed. We could use a little theme music, though.

There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

If the gun crimes in just Detroit and Chicago were punished with laws available, I believe that many of those crime perps would be locked up...liberal judges and political DA... That alone would make crime go way down...IMHOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have lived in the suburbs of # 1 for 35 years and still cannot believe how it has gone to the dogs under the "unmentionable" party direction. The "score" would be higher in most crime categories but the City staff began using a different accounting system. Now, 65+ auto break- ins at a baseball game are counted as "one" because "it" happened at a single address. Have been to some of the worst "Favelas" in Salvador, Brazil and felt safer than in some North St. Louis neighborhoods. Won't go there day or night even armed.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I definitely agree with the Socio-economic factor that you mentioned. I live about 40 miles east of Atlanta. I am all too familiar with the term "Metro Area". I am wondering if these stats are taken from areas outside the "city limits" of any of these major cities or do they include smaller towns or regions with names but not a "city" on their own.

Atlanta city limits goes well outside it's home county "Fulton". One of these areas includes part of Dekalb county. This particular area of Dekalb county, that Atlanta city limits encroaches, is, well, not very UPSCALE for the lack of a better term. Latest stats show violent crimes in Atlanta down considerably. Possible? Yes, but you could would not think that, if listening to the local Atlanta news channels. It seems to be as bad or worse than ever.

I could see how these figures could become diluted, depending on what parts of the area were counted. Again, I do not know how the stats were arrived at.

A lot of the smaller, more affluent areas on the outskirts of Atlanta are declaring themselves "Cities". Sandy Springs, John's Creek, Brookhaven are now "Cities". If you separate these more upscale areas from Atlanta "city limits" then the crime rate in downtown Atlanta areas should increase. Is this the case? Again, I don't know.

Take Boston, MA. I can say this because my wife is from Boston. Having been to Boston several times, I noticed that Boston, itself, covers a much smaller area than Atlanta, itself. The big difference? Boston's higher crime areas are outside of Boston city limits. Whereas, Atlanta's high crime areas are inside of Atlanta city limits. Again, how do they arrive at the stats.

Take Washington, DC...First rule when visiting Washington.."Don't get off the mall".

Could this be factors in this article? Again, I do not know.

Socio-economics? IMHO. Definitely..
    Hodad likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by pete362e View Post
    Have lived in the suburbs of # 1 for 35 years and still cannot believe how it has gone to the dogs under the "unmentionable" party direction. The "score" would be higher in most crime categories but the City staff began using a different accounting system. Now, 65+ auto break- ins at a baseball game are counted as "one" because "it" happened at a single address. Have been to some of the worst "Favelas" in Salvador, Brazil and felt safer than in some North St. Louis neighborhoods. Won't go there day or night even armed.
    I'm right there with you, the main crime around here is gang rivalry in North St. Louis, if that was taken out of the statistics the numbers would be vastly different.

Distinguished Member
    I live in the suburbs. Personal crime down in my neighborhood is down now.Military-Tank-Garage-Door-Mural.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemgb View Post
    I'm right there with you, the main crime around here is gang rivalry in North St. Louis, if that was taken out of the statistics the numbers would be vastly different.
    I thought that it was East St Louis that was the Hello hole?

Administrator
    Violent crime can happen anywhere at any time.

Famous Last Words constantly heard on the national news.

> We're all in shock. Nothing like this has ever happened here before!

> People never even locked their doors at night here and now this?

> You think you know who your neighbors are. He seemed like such a nice person and now four innocent people are dead.

> This was always such a nice small town and now everybody is afraid to even go out for a walk.

> I moved my family here to get away from this sort of thing and now....blah blah blah.

You get the general idea.
    kaikane0812 and CIBMike like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links