Off-duty LEOs can't carry at NFL Games

This is a discussion on Off-duty LEOs can't carry at NFL Games within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New Rule: Off-Duty Police Officers Better Think Twice Before Deciding to Carry a Gun to Any NFL Game | TheBlaze.com This is so stupid! Why ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: Off-duty LEOs can't carry at NFL Games

New Rule: Off-Duty Police Officers Better Think Twice Before Deciding to Carry a Gun to Any NFL Game | TheBlaze.com

This is so stupid! Why would they prevent LEOs from carrying??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

That policy is going to go over big with FBI agents and US Marshals, to be sure.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

"...a spokesman explained that the new policy was implemented after deciding it would best enhance the gameday experience."

Huh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why would anyone NEED a gun at an NFL game? I mean Aaron Hernandez is in jail.

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Tip your waitress and bartender.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Why should off-duty cops be allowed to carry places CCW's cannot?

Are their lives worth more than mine?

How about we stop categorizing the citizenry into classes... when it comes to guns... cops or not cops, on duty or off... when did they get elevated to that of Praetorian Guards...
    ntkb, GetSmith, msgt/ret and 17 others like this.

Police in some jurisdictions are required to be armed while "off duty" because they are never really "off duty." It's in some contracts/job assignments.

I guess if they are not off duty, their carry is legit.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by ole slabside View Post

How about we stop categorizing the citizenry into classes... when it comes to guns... cops or not cops, on duty or off... when did they get elevated to that of Praetorian Guards...
    I agree with you. However, we don't generally have the threat of angry criminals wanting revenge for us arresting them; they do.

sdprof, gatorbait51 and ArmyCop like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    It doesn't matter what they think.

If that policy is contrary to state law that allows for specific exemptions, then that's all it is, is a "voluntary" policy that has no legal standing.

Because "off duty" cops aren't really ever "off duty". If you were in a restaurant and someone started shooting the place up and you happened to live through it, how would you feel if you found out that an off duty cop was there but failed to act? Most cops, if not all, are expected to intervene in any felony action where lives are endangered.

Since you have been a member of this forum for some of time, you might understand that "gun free" environments are nothing more than target rich environments for those that don't follow laws. Disarming a cop that might be able to intervene in the event of a mass murder just because of a stupid law that disarms everyone else amounts to insanity.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ole slabside View Post

This is an easy one to answer; with sworn LE in any given state, it is a know quantify that sworn personnel meet whatever standard the respective authority deems needed to be a competent good guy with a gun. In every circumstance I'm aware of that standard is a good deal higher than that needed for a CCW permit. With CCW folk, you get everything from "I took the weekend course and now I'm billybadass", to a true professional gun toter.
    Also, there is the issue of money. Sworn LEO have solid financial backing should things go really bad and mistakes are made. That protects others financial interests to some degree when lawsuits start flying... And when bullets fly, there are always lawsuits trailing them. And I'll bet that is why the NFL has taken this stance; to protect their deep pockets as much as possible.

Now I agree with your stance when looking at things in a very simpleton sort of way, but unfortunately, our society just isnt simple.
    Brad426, HotGuns, Pinot and 6 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I agree with you. However, we don't generally have the threat of angry criminals wanting revenge for us arresting them; they do.

Is this about what generally happens, or about each persons choice to defend themselves within the law as they see fit? People can have enemies and others wanting revenge on them for any number of reasons, so where's the line? Should we let prison guards carry too? How about anyone that has been on a witness stand? Either ban weapons completely from anyone not actively on duty at that time or allow people who can legally carry to, well, legally carry.

On the other hand, I'd be fine with "drink a single beer at a game and you lose the right to carry. Choose one or the other." What's the rule for off duty LEO here?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    FWIW "prison guards" are covered under LEOSA in many places, including the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Corrections Officers tend to have the same issues as street cops with being targeted for the job they do. While I think it is ridiculous to prevent someone from carrying because we all have the same opportunity to be present at a random act of violence, the average person isn't targeted in the same way that some members of the law enforcement community are.

I'd like to turn the question around though. People here love to scream that if they cannot carry law enforcement officers should not be able to carry. I don't understand why you would want to take away someone else's ability to defend themselves, and possibly you as well, just because some idiot behind a desk decided to prevent you from the ability to do so. In my mind the "if I can't you can't either" mindset is just as far off base as the NFL's decision to prevent everyone that is legally able to do so from carrying a firearm to one of their games. So, why do you want to prevent someone from carrying a gun? Sounds like an anti-gunner's position to me.
    HotGuns, Aylorian, Sontag and 5 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    It is bad enough that I am expected to disarm in certain venues. It does nothing to enhance my safety or my civil rights to expect LEOs to disarm, as well.
    HotGuns, sdprof, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It is bad enough that I am expected to disarm in certain venues. It does nothing to enhance my safety or my civil rights to expect LEOs to disarm, as well.
    Nobody said your safety or rights would be enhanced... but your game day experience? That'll be off the charts!
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    FWIW "prison guards" are covered under LEOSA in many places, including the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Corrections Officers tend to have the same issues as street cops with being targeted for the job they do. While I think it is ridiculous to prevent someone from carrying because we all have the same opportunity to be present at a random act of violence, the average person isn't targeted in the same way that some members of the law enforcement community are.

I'd like to turn the question around though. People here love to scream that if they cannot carry law enforcement officers should not be able to carry. I don't understand why you would want to take away someone else's ability to defend themselves, and possibly you as well, just because some idiot behind a desk decided to prevent you from the ability to do so. In my mind the "if I can't you can't either" mindset is just as far off base as the NFL's decision to prevent everyone that is legally able to do so from carrying a firearm to one of their games. So, why do you want to prevent someone from carrying a gun? Sounds like an anti-gunner's position to me.
    The justifications for why LEO should be able to carry off duty doesn't seem to be about protecting the public though, seems to be more of a focus on "they might have enemies so they need to protect themselves".

There's a lot of crazy people out there. Ask the owners of this forum how many times they have been threatened for taking administrative action. I run an online community myself (not a forum) and it happens, a lot, 99.9% of them are just angry people with a big mouth but you can't tell them from the other 0.01% until it's too late. Not to be melodramatic about it, just making the point that people can feel a 'need to protect themselves' for many reasons, and if they feel strongly enough about it can choose to just not go to the game.

Now if we're really saying that an off-duty LEO is obliged to act and needs to be equipped to do so then fair enough. Maybe it's just that the timing of me reading this thread was bad having come straight from the "cops present at biker beat down" thread.

I do see your point though. If I can only have 5% of the "good guys" in a crowd armed and ready then I'd prefer that over nothing, so put me under the category of "If they can carry I should be able to also", but not the negative of that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nobody said your safety or rights would be enhanced... but your game day experience? That'll be off the charts!
    I was responding to Ole Slabside, but neglected to hit the "reply with quote" tab. I haven't been to an NFL game since 1999, and will likely never attend another one. Do they wand people entering the stadiums?
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links