Thoughts on Wendy Davis?

Thoughts on Wendy Davis?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Wendy Davis? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now, I'm not here to debate her various politics, I'm only here to get a clear understanding of her stance on the second amendment. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Wendy Davis?

Thoughts on Wendy Davis?

Now, I'm not here to debate her various politics, I'm only here to get a clear understanding of her stance on the second amendment. I have a lot of respect for her regarding her stance on social issues and since the next gubernatorial election will be the first time I will be able to vote I want to make sure I cast the right vote.

Senator Wendy Davis' Voting Records on Issue: Guns - Project Vote Smart

According to votesmart she has a mostly pro-gun voting record, with the exception of concealed carry on college campus, which I have mixed feelings about so that doesn't really bother me. However, she also has recently said that background checks ought to be performed at gun shows, which I'm concerned might be a stepping stone for her to take a stance for gun registration.

You could say that she only takes a pro-gun stance on certain issues to get votes, but that also could swing the other way, you could say she only says to take a pro "universal background check" stance in order to keep support from her liberal core.

I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to vote for a republican because I strongly disagree with their stance on social issues. Maybe if they change their position on those I will vote for them. But until them, it's basically vote for Davis or abstain my vote. So what are your thoughts?

VIP Member
    IMO when liberal Democrats (and she is one) say "Universal Background Checks" their brains are thinking "Universal Registration & (eventual) Confiscation"...... YMMV

It all depends on your issue prioritization. Remember though, Joe Manchin D-WV, was a "pro-gun" Democrat until he tried to slip a UBC's back door gun registration bill through with the help of Pat Toomey R-PA. Toomey was and is playing the re-election game of trying to split the issue and minimize it's damage, but Manchin wasn't because his next election was years off. Now, on state levels, this does not always apply, but nationally, any elected official with the D behind their name, just cannot be trusted. Think of it as "pulling a Manchin", say you support gun rights, but at the first convenient opportunity, go all in on the gun control. Even though there are many gun owners who hold liberal persuasions, they are far too small a group within the whole to move the Democratic party away from gun control. As much as has been made about purity purges on the Republican side, the Democrats seem to be on one of their own and gun control is purity issue #2, behind abortion. Nationally, we were 4 endangered species from more momentum on the side of the gun control crowd, way too close. Now on a state level, it doesn't always follow the national trend (think MO for example), but they are really close when you consider the votes (senators in DC & state legislatures) in states with a more firearms friendly culture (think MN, WI, VT, CO).

If I had prioritized gun rights as the number 1 issue, then I could not vote for a Democrat, even with her record, because I wouldn't trust that she wouldn't take advantage of any opportunity to try to push through more restrictions. I do not know how exactly Texas politics works, but I do not favor abstaining from voting so I would hope there are also other options like a libertarian candidate. You're issue prioritization is up to you, but a vote for Davis carries a risk that you may have new gun restrictions on a whim (depending on the powers investing in the governor) or a new fight over them if she so decides to push them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

VIP Member
    She will do exactly as Shillery's replacement in New York.. "Yeah, I'm pro gun rights until I'm not. " Wendy Davis will pull this as well, she is a cuter version of Ma Richards

I thought you were talking about the anchor on WFMZ. ;-)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav1230 View Post
    I've already made up my mind that I'm not going to vote for a republican because I strongly disagree with their stance on social issues. Maybe if they change their position on those I will vote for them. But until them, it's basically vote for Davis or abstain my vote. So what are your thoughts?
    I empathize with you! The last few elections I have had to choose 2nd amendment rights as my basis for voting even though I hate the social position of the people I wound up voting for.

I still work very hard to support the things I strongly believe in when it comes to health issues and social rights.

What it amounts to is: If we lose our first and second amendment rights we are done!!!!! Everything will be lost.

That is where I am in this life - and it's been a long life.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Background checks for gun shows does not concern me. In fact, it makes sense to me, although I know that some believe 2A protects gun rights for all, including recent felons and the mentally ill.

I did not see Manchin-Toomey as a step toward registration. In fact, the bill outlawed creation of a gun registry. There were some nice protections for gun owners in there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StillLearning View Post
    Background checks for gun shows does not concern me. In fact, it makes sense to me, although I know that some believe 2A protects gun rights for all, including recent felons and the mentally ill.

I did not see Manchin-Toomey as a step toward registration. In fact, the bill outlawed creation of a gun registry. There were some nice protections for gun owners in there.
    Every time I've purchased a gun from a FFL dealer at a gun show, I have had a background check. It's required.

What is this "Gun Show Loophole" of which people speak???
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Gav 1230, not to get off topic, but what is wrong with that dog you're using as your avatar?
    Sister, PEF and gatorbait51 like this.

You asked... so be prepared for an answer you might not like.

You stated "I'm not going to vote for a republican because I strongly disagree with their stance on social issues." Really? Does that apply to ALL Republicans? You don't think there are some Democrats with views similar to some Republicans on social issues (or at least those of interest to you)? Likewise, are you throwing out the baby with the bathwater because you disagree with the stance on social issues some Republicans take?

Seems to me you're painting with a very broad brush. For a young voter coming up to vote for the first time (next year?), I would encourage you to look well past party labels and actually analyze where the individual candidates stand with regard to the issues most important to you. There are a lot of single-issue voters out there, who unfortunately apply a "litmus test" on their single issue of choice and who ignore any other attributes or adverse views the candidate may have. It's also very important to critically assess the candidate's voting record and recorded comments (not just sound bites or brief quotes taken out of context) made prior to an announced candidacy. You will rarely find a candidate who is in complete alignment with you on every issue important to you, so you ultimately end up compromising. Sometimes you have to hold your nose and vote for the candidate that, on balance, represents and promotes views closest to yours.

Be aware that the popular news media is far from neutral, so the snippets you hear broadcast in brief news segments may not accurately or fully describe the candidate's position. Also, recognize that in today's "American Idol" politics, posturing and pandering to show some allegiance to one group or another - political 'insulation' - is sadly the norm. Look at the BS pictures of Presidential candidates since Carter out duck hunting or trap shooting - what does that suggest to you?

Fortunately, I'm not in a position to vote for or against Davis as I live in Arizona. However, I put a very high value on a candidate's willingness to follow the Constitution. I would encourage you to do the same.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Every time I've purchased a gun from a FFL dealer at a gun show, I have had a background check. It's required.

What is this "Gun Show Loophole" of which people speak???
    Some states like NC require a background check at gun shows, but many do not:

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

oh, you mean like limited government, Balanced budget, free market enterprise, defunding a train wreck health care plan, securing our borders, and curtailing our out of control entitlement spending?
    At the current rate of spending by this administration, you won't have to worry about social issues other than your own survival, because the financial collapse of the United States is coming. Just a matter of time.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

She's an extreme leftist progressive libtard........ Remember when BARRY (our POTUS) said he'd have the most transparent administration EVER . If you still believe that I HAVE A BRIDGE FOR SALE IN BROOKLYN, NY.

Distinguished Member
    abstain

[and I'm with Hoplyte, what IS wrong with that dog on your avatar?]
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Now, I'm not here to debate her various politics, I'm only here to get a clear understanding of her stance on the second amendment. I have a lot of respect for her regarding her stance on social issues and since the next gubernatorial election will be the first time I will be able to vote I want to make sure I cast the right vote.

Senator Wendy Davis' Voting Records on Issue: Guns - Project Vote Smart

According to votesmart she has a mostly pro-gun voting record, with the exception of concealed carry on college campus, which I have mixed feelings about so that doesn't really bother me. However, she also has recently said that background checks ought to be performed at gun shows, which I'm concerned might be a stepping stone for her to take a stance for gun registration.

You could say that she only takes a pro-gun stance on certain issues to get votes, but that also could swing the other way, you could say she only says to take a pro "universal background check" stance in order to keep support from her liberal core.

Anyone against concealed carry on campus is against concealed carry, period. Adult students don't surrender their right to self-defense because they pursue education - ESPECIALLY in a public university, which they and their parents have no choice but to fund. If she disagrees, it means she doesn't believe in that right.

Any compromise on this principle means defeat. In a compromise between food and poison, poison wins.

Reconsider republicans. They're not perfect, but they're the only ones (some of them) fighting to keep power with the people, and away from government.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links