More showboating from Giffords , et al

This is a discussion on More showboating from Giffords , et al within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cox Home Page Location Interceptor | Cox Communications...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: More showboating from Giffords , et al

VIP Member

More showboating from Giffords , et al

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Linky no worky. Try this one.

EarthLink - Top News
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Kelly said the system could be a national model.

"At the federal level we still have no requirement for background checks at gun shows, but states like New York are fixing the loophole," he said. "The state's model helps keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them — like criminals and the dangerously mentally ill — without infringing on our Second Amendment rights."
    - Whenever someone says "without infringing on our Second Amendment rights", it always means that they are, in fact, infringing...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Huffington post says giffords is going to attend a gun show. Is it just me, or does this sound like the worst idea ever?

I dont mean that I think she would be harmed, but she might not get a warm reception.

VIP Member
    Question: When they say there are no background checks at gun shows does that mean NO check at all? When we buy a gun at our local gun shop we had to fill out a form that was run through the FBI. I've never bought a gun at a show, so I don't know how it works there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

No, Jean. Thats pretty much B.S.

If you buy from a dealer at a gun show, you go thru a normal background check. Just like in a store. Its only if you buy from a private individual, that you do not.

BUT dont forget that in NY you need a FOB card. That means that you have already been thru a background check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Question: When they say there are no background checks at gun shows does that mean NO check at all? When we buy a gun at our local gun shop we had to fill out a form that was run through the FBI. I've never bought a gun at a show, so I don't know how it works there.

If you buy it from a dealer it has to be back back ground checked, but if you buy it from a non dealer it does not. This is there big loop hole, I would much prefer that they closed the loop hole at the border.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    No, Jean. Thats pretty much B.S.

If you buy from a dealer at a gun show, you go thru a normal background check. Just like in a store. Its only if you buy from a private individual, that you do not.

BUT dont forget that in NY you need a FOB card. That means that you have already been thru a background check.
    You think NYers need a what now? NYS requires permits for pistols, but not for long guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Every gun show I have ever been to you had to fill out the form and have a valid acquire permit, NICS, etc. just like you do at the local gun store.
    All of the gun show loophole crap the libs are spouting is to sway the "low information" voters and people who govern their lives with emotion rather than common sense and logic.
    By the way have you noticed how the "Regime" is redefining common sense? I'm using the old definition.

Heck, I dont think they need a card for anything, I was just saying that lots of those people who do have FOB cards have already been thru a background check.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    You think NYers need a what now? NYS requires permits for pistols, but not for long guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    If you buy it from a dealer it has to be back back ground checked, but if you buy it from a non dealer it does not. This is there big loop hole, I would much prefer that they closed the loop hole at the border.
    OK, thanks.

So what's the answer to people who say that's how the criminals get their guns...at gun shows from individual sellers? Maybe percentage wise it's very small, I don't know. Maybe the gun shows should only allow the sale of guns by dealers? Would that satisfy the anti gun crowd?

I don't think there is anyone on this board that wants criminals to buy guns so they can go out and cause harm. So how do we do this without infringing on the rights of the law abiding?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I dont care if it would satisfy the anti gun crowd (it would not, btw), but I can tell you that criminals DONT buy their guns there. What they do buy are guns stolen from home break ins, and for whatever reason, they "have", bottom of the barrel, ill maintained, junk. And maybe an SKS, or shotgun.

I think most of us would expect criminals to want good guns that functioned properly. But what they are caught with aint that. Like I said, its almost always junk.

I have only had 4 criminal defendants (ever), who had anything close to decent weapons. One had a Beretta (he was legally entitled to have it), and another also legally entitled to have and carry, had a RIA. Two others each had decent brands, but neither what anyone would consider criminals. One had an illegal search set up in his employers parking lot. ALL cars were stopped and searched. He had a carry permit, but at that time his employer forbid guns on the property. The other was similar nonsense.

The real criminals all had junk, and didnt get them at gun shows.

OK, thanks.

So what's the answer to people who say that's how the criminals get their guns...at gun shows from individual sellers? Maybe percentage wise it's very small, I don't know. Maybe the gun shows should only allow the sale of guns by dealers? Would that satisfy the anti gun crowd?

I don't think there is anyone on this board that wants criminals to buy guns so they can go out and cause harm. So how do we do this without infringing on the rights of the law abiding?
    gatorbait51, mook012 and Sig 210 like this.

OK, thanks.

Jeanlouise, you know as well as I do, that nothing will ever satisfy the anti's until we live in a gun free world.

VIP Member
    I dont care if it would satisfy the anti gun crowd (it would not, btw), but I can tell you that criminals DONT buy their guns there. What they do buy are guns stolen from home break ins, and for whatever reason, they "have", bottom of the barrel, ill maintained, junk. And maybe an SKS, or shotgun.

I think most of us would expect criminals to want good guns that functioned properly. But what they are caught with aint that. Like I said, its almost always junk.
    I was pretty sure that's not where they get their guns (shows), but the ones that have to be convinced are the Gifford & Kelly groups.

I don't really CARE what they want either but unfortunately there are plenty of people who agree with them and laws are getting voted on every day (just look at California this week) that are restricting guns and ammo.

So we have to care and go about a strategy to fend them off while making them think they "won" a round. Like you do with little kids...because they aren't going away and they aren't going to stop.

Guns sold at gun shows follow the same procedure as guns sold outside of gun shows. Dealers still do all the paperwork and NICS check. Private sellers follow state laws but usually it's handshake> cash>gun, in that order.

Media spins them to be massive black markets for drug lords and gangs to make arms deals. Reality is it's full of the same middle-aged collectors and dealers that were at the last 36894 shows trying to sell the same old overpriced stuff.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links