'They've been threatening to kill us'

This is a discussion on 'They've been threatening to kill us' within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...OOT_S1.article 'They've been threatening to kill us' December 5, 2006 By FRANK ABDERHOLDEN FABDERHOLDEN@SCN1.COM When most people hear the story of what happened to Sharif ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...OOT_S1.article

December 5, 2006
    By FRANK ABDERHOLDEN FABDERHOLDEN@SCN1.COM
    When most people hear the story of what happened to Sharif and Saffiyya Darr of Zion -- a home intruder burst into their home and they shot him and he died -- they immediately side with them.

It's justified.

RELATED STORIES
    Police, Muslim community address threats
    But the Darr's are learning that someone people are now calling them and threatening them, so they have fled their house and are spending time with family or friends.

The young man who was shot, Gerell Davis, was apparently a gang member.

The Darr's are not happy that someone was killed, and you will not see the Muslim couple as a poster family for the National Rifle Association.

"It's just been crazy," said Sharif Darr. "They've been threatening to kill us and other family members. My grandson has a MySpace (site), and that same night there was a threat on it. My sister called and said someone called and said, 'Your brother killed my brother, and now I'm going to kill your b****.'

"My heart goes out to the family (of the slain home invader). We have grandkids the same age," he said, also noting that the picture that has been running in the newspapers is a younger version of the 16-year-old Davis.

"This young man is connected to us in intricate ways," he said, relating how one of Darr's relatives nearly married one of Davis's relatives, which would have made them family.

When Davis came to their back door the first time, Davis actually identified himself as Darr's nephew Horace.

Darr said the incident began while he was on the telephone in one room and his wife was saying prayers in another around 10 p.m. when his wife heard someone jiggling the front door. She asked for the person to identify himself -- two to three times and loud enough to be heard outside -- but no one answered.

He looked out the window, but the person was walking around to the back door. It was at that point that he identified himself as a nephew. Then he went back to the front door.

Darr said he tried to look out the window, but the person had a hood on and so he couldn't tell who it was. He opened the door, the screen door was still locked, and the person would not look at him and his wife told him to close the door.

"At that time we were going to call 9-1-1," Darr said, but the person outside returned to the back door and Darr heard a loud "boom" as he began kicking in the door. In the meantime, when he wouldn't say who he was, Darr's wife went to get the gun from the bedroom. As the young man came through the door, Darr heard two shots in quick succession and the young man dropped to the floor. That's when the couple called 9-1-1.

The Darrs are not gun owners. The gun was registered and belonged to a relative who wanted it out of the house for a period of time for personal reasons. The relative had a state firearm owner's identification card, which is required in Illinois.

"The whole thing couldn't have been more than 90 seconds. Some people (on the radio) questioned why we didn't call 9-1-1. By the time we realized it was not our nephew, there wasn't enough time to call 9-1-1," he said.

"We had very little time to make a decision," he said.

Darr said he believes the young man may have been hoping that they had merchandise in the house from their eBay business.

His wife is still trying to deal with the situation.

"She is still messed up over this. We may have to take her to the hospital," he said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    God be with them.....

We have had a recent rash of home invasions here, I hope they stop soon.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

"The whole thing couldn't have been more than 90 seconds. Some people (on the radio) questioned why we didn't call 9-1-1. By the time we realized it was not our nephew, there wasn't enough time to call 9-1-1," he said.
    Classic

Even if they did get the call in, the guy's in the house before anyone arrives.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Clean up on aisle 3....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Poor people. That's really upsetting.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Couldn't see his face because of a hood and still let him in the house. Pure genius!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    The family got lucky that they had a firearm in the house.

One more BG gone.

NEXT!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Time frame for the entire incident, 90 seconds give or take. Classic! By the time you realize what is happening you could be dead. Weren't they lucky they had a gun in the house. Maybe now they will buy their own for self protection.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    The Darr's are not happy that someone was killed, and you will not see the Muslim couple as a poster family for the National Rifle Association.
    Of course not. It is well known that NRA members are christian white southern trash who drink beer all day and marry their cousins in between KKK rallies.
    And they call us bigots!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    The family got lucky that they had a firearm in the house.

One more BG gone.

NEXT!
    Even though it may have very well have prevented great harm or death to them, I strongly suspect that they do not consider themselves lucky; and I do not suspect that this will be what finally teaches them that this is a dangerous world and they should have their own firearms for protection.

I love the fact that one more BG is gone, to be sure.

Now, what is the legality of the couple having their friend's firearm in their home? I don't get the sense that they are legal to own firearms in Illinois. Mention was made of the friend's FOID card, but it was said that the couple are not gun owners... Will they be charged?

And yeah, it figures that boys from da hood are threatening vengeance even though it was their boy who was the initial criminal aggressor. Shoot them ALL, I say.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Of course not. It is well known that NRA members are christian white southern trash who drink beer all day and marry their cousins in between KKK rallies.
    And they call us bigots!

I think the point was that they are not known to be NRA sympathizers. They're not gun owners. MAYBE now they appreciate the value of good people having guns. (Probably they are too busy feeling sorry for the dead miscreant, and feeling bad that they had to kill him. It's probably too abstract for them to think of all the things that might have happened to them otherwise.)

The bigotry comes in when the story attempts to link rejoicing at killing people with membership in the NRA.

(...not that we don't sometimes talk about how fortunate it is when good guys pop bad guys now and then)

Yep call 911 the cops will be there in less that 90 seconds NOT!!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I Go With The 'Next'...

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    One more BG gone.
    NEXT!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links