Potential 2A Rights Stripped: Feds Study Social Media for "Depression Surveillance"

This is a discussion on Potential 2A Rights Stripped: Feds Study Social Media for "Depression Surveillance" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apparently the federal government is studying ways to use social media as a means to diagnose potential mental health disorders. With the advent of obamacare, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Potential 2A Rights Stripped: Feds Study Social Media for "Depression Surveillance"

Potential 2A Rights Stripped: Feds Study Social Media for "Depression Surveillance"

Apparently the federal government is studying ways to use social media as a means to diagnose potential mental health disorders. With the advent of obamacare, this may impact gun rights in a big way. Source link is at the bottom.

Most people know that it is illegal to obtain a carry permit if a person is deemed mentally unfit. Where that line is drawn in the sand varies and is subject to change. By using social media combined with obamacare's universal coverage, the federal government could potentially send huge amounts of random people for psych evaluations based on social media behavior, diagnose a mental disorder (like depression), and revoke the right to carry a firearm. I have not read the thousands of pages of obamacare, but I could only imagine that a person could be forced to take a psych eval (due to various means) to keep their coverage. There are several potential reasons for the federal government to do this, but what stands out to me is the potential ability to keep guns out of the hands of those deemed as "mentally unstable".

While these are my personal opinions, I find this study to be troubling and worth discussing. Extreme cases do occur on social media where the authorities should respond, but I don't think it is the governments job to universally diagnose minor symptoms of depression because of a twitter or facebook post. With scandals like the IRS targeting tea partiers and conservative groups, a program such as this is also highly subject to partisan bias and could equate to prejudicial gun grabbing through the guise of public safety concern. I'd love to hear the opinions from those who know the law and/or obamacare better than me.

Source: Feds Studying How to Use Twitter For ?Depression Surveillance? | Washington Free Beacon
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, all they will find with me, is that Harryball doesnt care what they think....

It's getting closer to a breaking point in this country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    It's getting closer to a breaking point in this country

That's the type of statement "they" are looking for...
    wdbailey and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal View Post
    That's the type of statement "they" are looking for...
    Sure... If I were promoting such action; me, I'm just making an observation.

Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Great...Now we have to worry about the Anti-Gun Depression Nazi`s too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You do realize that Facebook is the digital equivalent of a big billboard outside your house, right?

For all practical purposes, there IS NO PRIVACY INTEREST in anything you voluntarily publish in a semi-public forum. Kinda like here. It isn't like mail, for which there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, or e-mail, which is slightly less private. You are essentially publishing information on the world's largest newsstand. And you know that once you publish it, it can be archived and stored. You have no further right to control or take back that information.

If you don't want Big Brother (or huge corporate interests, or the general public, or your a-hole brother in law) to know your business,

DON'T POST IT ON FACEBOOK. Or anywhere else online.

Edit: I realize I sound like a jerk, and I don't mean to. I apologize. But if you are concerned that your 2A rights will be stripped based on what you (voluntarily) post on the internet, don't post personal stuff on the internet. And also read the 5th Amendment.

Edit again: This is absolutely not legal advice. If you want legal advice, consult your own attorney.
    Last edited by unclecharlie; October 17th, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: just in case.
    HotGuns and gatorbait51 like this.

They are watching. They have been watching. They've got plenty of straws to grab at. Have had, for quite some time. Craigslist ads, AOL/MySpace/FB postings, forum discussions and whatnot.

With the full-feed data slurp they are grabbing from some key telecom centers, it wouldn't be surprising that quite a lot is scanned looking for such things. All you need is software, acres of computers, and an unsuspecting citizenry.

Change you can believe in, apparently.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Solution? Stop whining about it, stop rambling on and on about SHTF and projecting nothing but negative. I have a facebook where I literally do nothing but post and link pictures of daschunds doing funny things. Of course that might indicate some other mental defect I sure don't look like I'm depressed
    southernwi and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    I don’t twit and the only time I am on Facebook is to find out about the next car show so I may be safe for a while longer. This is yet another government program with way too many possibilities to be abused and we had to waste $82,800 to pay for it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Though, to be clear, it's probably not that "the Feds are studying X", but more than the National Institute of Health is funding a scientific study that allllll of the people who're actually involved fully intend to publish in the public sphere. The very best outcome for everyone who's actually working on this is "a hint of correlation between social media posting and symptoms of depression" The worst outcome is that after all is said-and-done, the people who're doing the work won't be able to publish a scientific manuscript.
    And then, hopefully, when you go into pubmed and type "depression social media" you'll get another scientific study to examine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by unclecharlie View Post
    You do realize that Facebook is the digital equivalent of a big billboard outside your house, right?

For all practical purposes, there IS NO PRIVACY INTEREST in anything you voluntarily publish in a semi-public forum. Kinda like here. It isn't like mail, for which there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, or e-mail, which is slightly less private. You are essentially publishing information on the world's largest newsstand. And you know that once you publish it, it can be archived and stored. You have no further right to control or take back that information.

If you don't want Big Brother (or huge corporate interests, or the general public, or your a-hole brother in law) to know your business,

DON'T POST IT ON FACEBOOK. Or anywhere else online.

Edit: I realize I sound like a jerk, and I don't mean to. I apologize. But if you are concerned that your 2A rights will be stripped based on what you (voluntarily) post on the internet, don't post personal stuff on the internet. And also read the 5th Amendment.

Edit again: This is absolutely not legal advice. If you want legal advice, consult your own attorney.
    Yes, things that are posted on the internet are public. However, it has been proven that the NSA has had access to everyone's emails that are hosted through big providers, text messages, and pieces of (if not all of) phone calls conducted by Americans. The public would have absolutely no way of knowing whether that information was being cross referenced with their public postings. Personally I value my right to privacy and my first amendment rights. Hence, my postings here.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Though, to be clear, it's probably not that "the Feds are studying X", but more than the National Institute of Health is funding a scientific study that allllll of the people who're actually involved fully intend to publish in the public sphere. The very best outcome for everyone who's actually working on this is "a hint of correlation between social media posting and symptoms of depression" The worst outcome is that after all is said-and-done, the people who're doing the work won't be able to publish a scientific manuscript.
    And then, hopefully, when you go into pubmed and type "depression social media" you'll get another scientific study to examine.
    While this may just be a "study" in its current form, there is still a reason that this study is being conducted. The federal government would have to pass no laws to assess public information. As posted above, apparently, it doesn't need laws or the pesky constitution to assess warrantless private information either... I'm sorry, but I don't think that the worst case scenario is publication of a scientific study. Especially pertaining to firearms. Countless government entities prove otherwise on a weekly basis. Need I remind you of the ATF's operation fast and furious, the recent failed AWB and universal background check bills, the IRS conservative scandal, the patriot act, the NSA spying on everyone, and plenty more... Edit: The things that people would have been accused of tin-foil-hatting has come to reality. With the overreach of obamacare, personally, I see the potential of my original post. Assuming the study finds a correlation.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    While this may just be a "study" in its current form, there is still a reason that this study is being conducted.
    Yes, the reason is to better understand mental health. Mental illness is likely to be the major form of suffering this century, with maybe poverty-based distress (which will likely continue to drop) and aging-related diseases competing. AND, it's not like social media is going away. So, it's not like mental illness concerns are going away or like they should be de-prioritized. Proper diagnostics and proper treatments really are Good Things, and it's a question of how best to get from A to B.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Well, all they will find with me, is that Harryball doesnt care what they think....
    Apathy is a sign of depression...they'll be visiting you shortly with a head shrink.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Solution? Stop whining about it, stop rambling on and on about SHTF and projecting nothing but negative. I have a facebook where I literally do nothing but post and link pictures of daschunds doing funny things. Of course that might indicate some other mental defect I sure don't look like I'm depressed
    Nah, criticizing citizens won't be targeted for "special" treatment. </sarcasm>
    gatorbait51 and ANGLICO like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links