Illinois At It Again - this time a 2% surcharge on ammunition

This is a discussion on Illinois At It Again - this time a 2% surcharge on ammunition within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Illinois is at it again, this time it's a bill that requires a 2% surcharge on all ammunition sales that would fund a state 'High ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By gregivq

Thread: Illinois At It Again - this time a 2% surcharge on ammunition

Illinois is at it again, this time it's a bill that requires a 2% surcharge on all ammunition sales that would fund a state 'High Crime Trauma Center Grant Fund'.

In other words they want legal gun owners to fund trauma centers in high crime areas (eg: gang infested areas):

Proposed Illinois Gun Law HB3714 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Sorry to break it to you but the "non-gang" folks already fund those trauma centers, by higher health costs to cover the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but the "non-gang" folks already fund those trauma centers, by higher health costs to cover the losses.
    So that means it's okay to charge gun owners more?
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdalton View Post
    So that means it's okay to charge gun owners more?
    Pretty sure I didn't make any claim to the "rightness" of the bill they created. I was just stating a FACT that we already pay for this stuff.
    ppkheat likes this.

I'm so tired of paying for Chicago. I love living in the southern part of the state.

2% aint much, which is why they picked a piddly figure, like 2%. The problem is that what it really is, is "the camels nose under the tent".

Once the tax is in place, they can raise it as high as they like, and it becomes a back door approach to gun control.
    84160 likes this.

Let the people pay for what they voted for...IMHO...I will never EVER step foot in that state anyway.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Illinois is working hard to be the next Detroit. Their high taxes in Cook county (Chicago) drive everyone away to buy cigarettes, gas, food, and guns somewhere else. Local businesses are failing and the politicians grab whatever agenda they can, including guns and ammo, to have a "good" subject on their junk mail pamphlet.

I propose a tax of state lawmaker salaries. 10% for any payments due to their screwed up political practices. We're still paying for Blagoyevich...and soon...we'll have our big-O celebrity back. Make that 20%!
    84160 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let the people pay for what they voted for...IMHO...I will never EVER step foot in that state anyway.
    After 38 years in that hell hole, fortunately I escaped for the most part. I have two kids who have to stay there because of jobs, and on occasion I have to put cloths pin to nose and go visit.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

HB3646 – DANGEROUS BILL – Bans Concealed Carry in any restaurant that has alcoholic beverages on the menu. Drastically reduces your choices on when and how to protect yourself. This bill is a foot in the door to create a growing list of places where you will be prohibited from protecting yourself and your family from dangerous criminals.

HB3669 – DANGEROUS BILL - This bill eliminates “safe haven” provisions for areas near schools – meaning that you could not even have a firearm locked in your trunk if you drive on to ANY property controlled by a school district. Once again, this bill would severely limit your self defense options and would make you a felon for doing nothing more than possessing a firearm. Under this bill, you would have to leave your defensive firearms at home if your plans called for you to enter any lands controlled by a school district. The real purpose of this bill is to pave the way for sweeping prohibitions on concealed carry that would make self defense impractical and a serious legal risk for most Illinois citizens.

HB3675 – DANGEROUS BILL – This bill would severely increase penalties for persons found to be carrying firearms in restricted areas. This bill is designed solely to scare law-abiding citizens out of carrying defensive firearms. This bill in no way targets gang-bangers or other violent criminals.

SB2594 – DANGEROUS BILL – This is another bill that would prohibit carry in restaurants that have alcoholic beverages on the menu.

HB3651 – GOOD BILL – This bill lowers the burdensome 16-hour training rule to a more reasonable 8-hour requirement. This bill also eliminates the re-training requirements for carry permit renewals. In short, this bill undoes that anti-gunners’ attempts to discourage people from applying for carry permits by easing burdensome training requirements.

HB3650 – GOOD BILL – This bill provides for concealed carry reciprocity between Illinois and dozens of other states.

HB3649 – GOOD BILL – This bill reduces the exorbitant fees the State Police plan on charging people for permit applications. The state should not be allowed to price-gouge citizens who want to defend themselves. This bill would make fees more reasonable and thus allow greater access to self defense for Illinois citizens.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregivq View Post
    Illinois is working hard to be the next Detroit. Their high taxes in Cook county (Chicago) drive everyone away to buy cigarettes, gas, food, and guns somewhere else. Local businesses are failing and the politicians grab whatever agenda they can, including guns and ammo, to have a "good" subject on their junk mail pamphlet.

I propose a tax of state lawmaker salaries. 10% for any payments due to their screwed up political practices. We're still paying for Blagoyevich...and soon...we'll have our big-O celebrity back. Make that 20%!
    It's not just Cook county where that goes on.

Many folks around here go to Perryville, Missouri for gas and cigarettes because the taxes are lower.

Last years's pay raise that I asked for and received disappeared when Illinois raised the payroll taxes. I saw two months of that raise, and *poof* it was gone like I'd never gotten it.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdalton View Post
    Illinois is at it again, this time it's a bill that requires a 2% surcharge on all ammunition sales that would fund a state 'High Crime Trauma Center Grant Fund'.

In other words they want legal gun owners to fund trauma centers in high crime areas (eg: gang infested areas):

Proposed Illinois Gun Law HB3714 - American Gun Owners Alliance
    Personally I believe this will be utilized in the future to justify other so called "Common Sense" measures. I can see politicians saying "Of course people who purchase ammunition pay part of the cost created by "Gun Violence" Just as they should pay court costs or for additional police or programs to educate children to inoculate them against the "Gun Culture". Not saying this is the original intent but once out there it's just too tempting. Or do you think politicians are going to accept responsibility for their own failures?

Links