Manhunt on for suspect

Manhunt on for suspect

This is a discussion on Manhunt on for suspect within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How many things can you find MINDBOGGLING in this article? http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...DATE/612060436 Manhunt on for suspect DETROIT -- Police are looking for a man who took ...

Thread: Manhunt on for suspect

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Manhunt on for suspect

How many things can you find MINDBOGGLING in this article?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...DATE/612060436

Manhunt on for suspect

DETROIT -- Police are looking for a man who took an officer's gun and stole an ambulance to avoid going to jail, according to Detroit police Lt. Linda Vertin. The man, 23-year-old Deandre DeShon-Russell Riley of Detroit, was arrested about 1 a.m. today in a stolen car and taken to a western district headquarters.

About 6 a.m., Riley complained of being ill and was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital. He then got into a fight with two police officers and took one of the officer's department-issued Glock handguns.

"They were handcuffing him to the bed at the time of the struggle," Vertin said.

Riley then forced a hospital clerk to walk him to the front door, where he let her go before he hopped into a private ambulance that contained three people, Vertin said.

When he drove off, Vertin said, a Wayne County sheriff's deputy fired a single shot at the vehicle but it "did not take effect," she said.

Sheriff's department officials were not immediately available for comment.

Riley drove the ambulance to Third and Canfield where he abandoned the vehicle and ran off.

"He is somewhere in the area, we don't know where," Vertin said.

The people in the ambulance did not suffer serious injuries in the incident, Vertin said. She could not say if the people were patients or ambulance workers.

Hospital officials declined comment but did not ask police for officers. The hospital has its own security team, officials said.

Riley initially gave police the name Cortez Rogers, which turned out to be a man serving time for armed robbery in a northern Michigan correctional facility. Vertin said a fingerprint check revealed Riley's true identity.

Vertin said she was not sure if police leaked incorrect information to the media this morning. The alias could have led to the mixup, police said.

Riley has had several contacts with the department. He currently is on probation for carrying a concealed weapon.

"We're unsure if he's armed or not, but we're considering him dangerous," Vertin said.

Vertin said anyone with information is asked to call (800) SPEAKUP.

Riley is described as a black male, 5 foot 6 inches tall, 150 pounds and who wears his hair in braids.

Spain and Hancock elementary schools are on lock down because of the search. At one point, Murray Wright High School also was on lockdown, according to broadcast media reports.

You can reach Santiago Esparza at (313) 222-2127 or sesparza@detnews.com.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sounds Like GREAT Police Work...

I used to live in the Detroit area...it's a nice place to be from...
    Not friendly to CCW'ers...
    The city is the 'pits'. Schools are destroyed...the city gov't is corrupt...and property values are in the toilet.

The City of Detroit is reaping what it has sown...

PM me if you really want to know how I feel.............

I still have family there...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I grew up in Rochester Hills, but as a troublesome youth, we would head to 8 Mile to hang out and party... for a city that has never been gun friendly, we sure knew a lot of people (trouble makers) that had some form of firearm or another. I remember one night when a guy we were partying with offered my buddy $200 if he would bring him one of father's shotguns.

I hung out in some really stupid places in my youth. I'm glad I lived to pound some sense into my own kids.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Sounds like a place to avoid!

When he drove off, Vertin said, a Wayne County sheriff's deputy fired a single shot at the vehicle but it "did not take effect," she said.

What effect was supposed to happen? I never understood firing at a fleeing vehicle. First it's probably against department policy. Second, there were innocents (or assumed), it was an ambulance. If it's coming towards you and you can aim at the driver then you can take that shot. Just seems irresponsible to me.

"We're unsure if he's armed or not, but we're considering him dangerous," Vertin said.

I'd assume he's armed, he stole a POs gun. Let's see....he assaulted a PO (1), took his gun (2), kidnapped a hospital worker (3), kidnapped 3 on the ambulance (4), stole a ambulance (5), escaped from custody (6) and he's going to chuck the gun so he doesn't get into trouble for that? I'd say he's still got the gun.
    Last edited by Mtbiker; December 21st, 2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    -Biker

Assistant Administrator
    we sure knew a lot of people (trouble makers) that had some form of firearm or another.
    Something Daly seems to always forget - same as DC, NYC etc - when will it sink in - no matter how ''gun free'' you try to make a city, all it will do is disarm the law abiding folks.

Crooks have guns - period. Nothing much will stop that. The black market is and will remain fully functional.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links