Man pulled gun during fight in Wal-Mart store

This is a discussion on Man pulled gun during fight in Wal-Mart store within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, who here has been to WalMart? Fess up! http://www.svherald.com/articles/200...news/news6.txt Man pulled gun during fight in Wal-Mart store BY GENTRY BRASWELL SIERRA VISTA — Holiday ...

Thread: Man pulled gun during fight in Wal-Mart store

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

OK, who here has been to WalMart? Fess up!

http://www.svherald.com/articles/200...news/news6.txt

BY GENTRY BRASWELL

SIERRA VISTA — Holiday shopping tempers boiled over Sunday afternoon at Wal-Mart when a man pointed a gun at another during a fist fight in the store, according to Sierra Vista police.

About 5:25 p.m., between the store’s sporting goods and toy sections, two men began a verbal altercation that led to physical blows, Officer Mary Chatham said. During the altercation, one man pointed a gun at the other, she said. The man with the gun possessed a concealed firearm permit, Chatham said. He told police he produced the weapon because his opponent, who was larger than him, had taken him to the ground, the officer said.

The man with the gun suffered a black eye and a bloody nose, she said.

The man who was reportedly threatened with the gun did not remain on scene until police arrived, and his identity as a potential victim remains unknown to police, the officer said.

“For whatever reason, he decided not to stay,” she said.

Wal-Mart personnel detained the man with the gun until police arrived, but declined to pursue criminal charges against him.

With no victim on hand and no charges pursued by Wal-Mart management, the investigation is stalled indefinitely, Chatham said.

Police awaited surveillance video of the incident from the store Tuesday afternoon.

“We could’ve pursued charges against him if we had a victim,” Chatham said. “According to an eyewitness, he (the man with the gun) threw the first punch.”

The man told police the other man threw the first punch, Chatham said.

REPORTER Gentry Braswell can be reached at 515-4680 or by e-mail at gentry.braswell@svherald.com.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

He was definitely in the wrong. If you start something and can't finish it, take your whuppin' like a man.

However, if the other guy started it, then you have every right to exercise his right of due process, and press charges if you so choose.

Either way, this just makes all of us responsible carriers look bad.

CW permit or not. Sounds like somebody didn't put their brain in gear first. AVOID confrontataion at ALL costs.Beees

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    He was definitely in the wrong. If you start something and can't finish it, take your whuppin' like a man.

However, if the other guy started it, then you have every right to exercise his right of due process, and press charges if you so choose.

The fact is, if you're carrying, DON'T "start something."

I can't wait to know if the surveillance camera will bear him out that the other guy threw the first punch.

I can't believe that although this guy has a black eye and bloody nose, and there is no other "victim" to be found, and our CCWer did not fire the gun (good restraint, perhaps?), everyone concerned seems itching to charge the CCWer! For what?! Defending himself?!

Well, we'll see. If he's not charged, the story will probably just disappear.

Wal-Mart personnel detained the man with the gun until police arrived,
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT

I have a feeling we're not getting the whole story here for some reason.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Good point. Are they saying that Walmart personnel were matched (i.e. they had guns) against a guy with a gun?

More like he cooperated and assented to remain there -- BECAUSE HE'S THE FREAKIN' GOOD GUY!!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    The fact is, if you're carrying, DON'T "start something."
    Well, I'd hope that would go without saying, but yes, you're 100% correct.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

Very well said...
    Never take a gun to a fistfight.....
    Empty hands are met with empty hands, end of story....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Nearly no details in that little piece. Lots of inferences can be drawn, none of which (likely) will match up to the facts if/when they come out. That said ... Ditto on the criticisms about altercations. It's amazing how deflating it is for someone's anger level when there is zero come-back and zero response. I try very hard to practice exactly this, when carrying. It's simply not worth it. 'Cause, even if I feel I'm in the right, one or more witnesses are going to end up saying I contributed to the fight, and that's an instant E-ticket ride to jail, at minimum. Not worth it, ever. God help him if the surveillance film shows he personally reached out to touch someone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    A good reason to vebalize you non hostile intentions in such situation. shouting loudly, "stay back, I don't want to fight" would have put wintesses in the correct mind set to understand what was happening(if the gun toting guy was indeed the victim. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

I would agree Nate,

A fist fight is just that... a fist fight. Now if the guy was being strangled or pumled in a life threatining mannor then I say he had the right to defend his life. I do not think this is the case. It sounds like the CCWer was in the wrong.

You can fight without killing.

Avoid confortation at all costs when carrying.

I do wonder if the fight would have broken out if the CCWer was practicing open carry.

Would you choose to confront someone practicing open carry if you thought it may lead to a confrontation of some sort?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Sierra Vista=one horse town....pleasant place to live--not a whole lot around except for Ft Huachuca.

This is a definite aberration...but ya, the gun owner was an idiot (if he started the fight)

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Would you choose to confront someone practicing open carry if you thought it may lead to a confrontation of some sort?
    If it was over a stupid "That's the last [insert popular videogame console here] and it's MINE!" type of verbal altercation, no. But if he was doing anything physical, like perhaps grabbing my wife by the arm, I may very well land one on his nose, open carry or not.

Wait One Moment...

...But if he was doing anything physical, like perhaps grabbing my wife by the arm, I may very well land one on his nose, open carry or not.
    If he put his hand on my 60 Y/O wife...white hair and all...no ambulance would be needed...just the coroner...

OMO...pretty accurate though...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links