Conversation with a history school teacher

This is a discussion on Conversation with a history school teacher within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had an interesting conversation with a history school teacher this school teacher is about ready to retire as a history schoolteacher he was telling me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Conversation with a history school teacher

Had an interesting conversation with a history school teacher this school teacher is about ready to retire as a history schoolteacher he was telling me how the textbooks they are using for the children have been changed throughout the years that they have actually changed the history in these books of what actually happened in this country by leaving certain things out and putting other interpretations in place, and that as a history teacher you are not allowed to deviate from the current history books, he said this is going on for about 15 years that he can remember noticing changes in the history books, so today we have a lot of children and young parents who really do not have a clue what this country was all about years ago. So the end result is((only people who know what they have do not want to lose what they have)) and people do not know what they have and what their rights are would not oppose anybody trying to take something away from them if they think that our leaders gave them that right that they should be able to take that right away. Somebody sent this to me-- men fort for liberty and win with hard knocks and blood and their children brought up easy let it slip away again poor fools and their grandchildren are once more slaves again. I guess that old expression is true if you yourself do not work for something you will never appreciate what you have. Some very brave people have lost their lives and very smart people ensured that we the American people will never become slaves and controlled by a dictator, and now people in this country have become very soft with no backbone and will not fight for something thay don't even think they have. it seems there's only a handful of people in this country who actually see what is going on, we will not win this fight if we do not educate these people

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Decaf...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    The people who are involved in compiling the information, or more accurately misinformation, that is presented in the "history" books used these days were brainwashed by the liberal universities and the professors in those universities.

That's why you are seeing the re-writing of the information. They try to justify it as another perspective of what happened.

Unfortunately that trend is continuing and even accelerating.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

One of the ten thousand reasons why my children are homeschooled now.
    niks, gatorbait51, mano3 and 3 others like this.

1. Not disagreeing the accuracy of history books today (in public schools) since my son went to private schools and I thought they were very good.
    2. Do you realy think history books were all that accurate in the 60's and 70's and 80's? All of mine gloss over the fact we savagely took over this country from the Indians. They do not get into the real reasons that percipitated WW I and WW II. They were mostly cheerleading books for the US.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Sponsor
    Yeah, I'm with suntzu on this one.

History is taught by the victor. Our kids have been getting a skewed version of historical events since long before I was the Little Pitcher in the class room.

I'll grant that the reasons and the message here in the U.S. are going down a different path than in the past, but the techniques are the same and have been employed "The World Round" since the dawn of man.
    gatorbait51 and Darrow75 like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    It is very very easy to toss stones at history texts and teachers. They are faced with an almost impossible task these days.

First off, there is a lot of stuff that could be taught, might be taught, should be taught, and nowhere near enough time. In truth
    you could teach about any single decade and take a year to do it. Someone has to cull through material and decide what is to be included. That someone is in a lose - lose situation. No matter what they include, or exclude, they will be accused of not telling the whole story.

Second, the history has to be taught in an age appropriate manner. What you can tell to a fifth grader, an 8th grader, a college
    sophomore are each different.

Third, teaching history is often confused with teaching patriotism or civics, or government and politics. Different things.
    Unfortunately some parents expect history classes to be something other than history.

Fourth, teaching history is (at least during the past decade or two) thankless, as there are always parents who view anything said that doesn't fit their "misunderstanding" of facts as either liberal or conservative brain washing. Or they see a story partially told for the purpose of making it grade appropriate and jump to the conclusion that there is partisan purpose.

It is possible to read personal biographies of great men in our history, biographies of the same individual written by different authors, and come away with opposing ideas about specific events.

Forget for a moment the fables about our revolutionary war. We have an excellent historical record of everything which followed starting with the constitutional era--1789, onward. There are places where things are fairly straight forward and places where no one truly knows why people or Congress acted in particular ways. They are judged now by today's standards and it is impossible to get into the shoes of the people who lived in those times.

Even very recent events, such as the causes of our war with Japan, are impossible to teach properly outside of a specialized
    course as there is a bit more to the story than just their aggression; they didn't wake up one Saturday morning and decide
    to attack us on Sunday--- plenty of complex stuff going on back 2 decades to perhaps even a century led to that day.

Those who bash our schools and teachers as having political agendas are IMO rather naive. You maybe don't like
    the message, it doesn't perhaps fit with your belief system, but even if on an issue or two you are right, you need to take into account the impossible nature of the task.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

What's important, regardless of what you believe, is that history is presented only as history - no politics included. Government classes are completely different than history. I just want to know, and I want my kids to learn WHAT happened.
    suntzu, luvmy40, ccw9mm and 2 others like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    What's important, regardless of what you believe, is that history is presented only as history - no politics included. Government classes are completely different than history. I just want to know, and I want my kids to learn WHAT happened.
    To include the good, bad, and ugly
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    To include the good, bad, and ugly
    Most definitely. No sugarcoating nonsense.

Also, I'm all about patriotism, loving my country, etc., but people need to learn our history. America hasn't always made the best choices, and there is a lot in our history that we shouldn't be proud of.

We need to learn about that, too.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

WHAT history? Its been replaced, in large part, by "Social studies". Which, in re the History of the USA, is worthless.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I was taught lemmings commit mass suicide by running off cliffs, verified by scientific study. Turns out not to be so. Makes one wonder just how much one knows "for fact" is no more than what we were told--and knowing no different, believe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's completely normal for "history texts" to get rewritten as new evidence surfaces or the passage of time allows for a more objective interpretation of what actually happened. Do not confuse "history texts" with history. Even when the events in question happened millennia ago, we're still learning about them (our understanding of ancient Greece or Rome, for example, is *still* improving even though those civilizations have been the most studied in the West for over two centuries, and both left an extensive written record).

What you should be concerned is not whether the current history books are different. The question you should be asking is whether they are more *accurate*. If they aren't, what is inaccurate and why?
    gatorbait51 and Hopyard like this.

I graduated high school here in Florida in '11 (youngin'). I love history and so did my History teacher in senior year. I used to point out things in class - he would agree that things were left out. Unfortunately, McGraw-Hill - Pearson basically control text books in public, some private and even in Universities. Its a monopoly of the texts books and they are brainwashing todays kids.
    gatorbait51, Ghost1958 and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saigaguy View Post
    I graduated high school here in Florida in '11 (youngin'). I love history and so did my History teacher in senior year. I used to point out things in class - he would agree that things were left out. Unfortunately, McGraw-Hill - Pearson basically control text books in public, some private and even in Universities. Its a monopoly of the texts books and they are brainwashing todays kids.
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but because Texas is one of the largest purchasers of school text books in the nation, and because the folks who run the State's elected Education Commission tend to be from the conservative wing of the Republican party, there is more bias in that direction introduced into both texts and curriculum than is generally realized when these books are
    purchased by school systems in smaller states. Once Texas has worked with the publishers to shape the book content, the other states are fairly well stuck with it.

Late for the gym-- more later.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links