Seattle libraries change gun policy..belatedly

This is a discussion on Seattle libraries change gun policy..belatedly within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seattle public libraries opt to obey the law…finally The long-standing, and wholly illegal, ban on guns in Seattle’s public libraries comes to an end next ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Seattle libraries change gun policy..belatedly

Seattle libraries change gun policy..belatedly

Seattle public libraries opt to obey the law…finally

The long-standing, and wholly illegal, ban on guns in Seattle’s public libraries comes to an end next week, according to Seattle Times columnist Danny Westneat, who reports today that the rule change was a long time coming, more than a year after a Second Amendment Foundation legal victory defending state preemption was allowed to stand by the State Supreme Court.

Seattle public libraries opt to obey the law?finally - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    ArmyCop, ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    If you carry a concealed firearm in a library, do you have to use a silencer?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

as a legal concealed carrier, i did not acknowledge the libraries' prohibition at all. in Washington, such ad hoc 'gun free zones' do not have the force of law. they could only ask me to leave. and in this case, since THEY were breaking the law, i wonder how matters would have stood had i opted to disobey their request to leave. all moot, though, since no one has ever 'made' me.
    Nmuskier, ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Obviously. People are trying to read, you know.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
    I'm in his camp...

If you have no choice but to defend yourself from an aggressive dirtbag...using a silencer is greatly appreciated!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Obviously. People are trying to read, you know.
    Do libraries actually still have books? I thought they were taken over by videos and other garbage since nobody can read anymore.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

I can only imagine the scowl from the librarian if you didn’t.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

My library which is not in Seattle has for several years had a growing section of books with larger type face in order to make them easier to read.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    as a legal concealed carrier, i did not acknowledge the libraries' prohibition at all. in Washington, such ad hoc 'gun free zones' do not have the force of law. they could only ask me to leave. and in this case, since THEY were breaking the law, i wonder how matters would have stood had i opted to disobey their request to leave. all moot, though, since no one has ever 'made' me.
    a private business can ask you to leave for any reason, not sure about a public library but i would not want to fight that legal battle.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    My library which is not in Seattle has for several years had a growing section of books with larger type face in order to make them easier to read.
    Yes, easier to read for the visually impaired. I can appreciate that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Yep. One of the local libraries supplies large print books to the assisted living home where my father lived for 6 years. They bring stacks of books and rotate them every month or two. Since my father was "only" 95 he didn't needed the large print books but a lot of the other residents did. They are VERY nice for older people. As Daddy lost his hearing and couldn't listen to his big band era and opera tapes anymore, he read more and more.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, refusing to leave immediately when requested while armed is called felony trespassing. If you feel you are being wrongly removed, there is an endless number of lawyers willing to help settle that issue.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    MI also has state preemption. If a public library put up a "no gun" sign, I'd ignore it and just call later to notify them that their sign carries no legal weight.
    Asked to leave? Sorry, here's my city tax bill. I own a share of this building. It is not private property.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In FL, refusing to leave immediately when requested while armed is called felony trespassing. If you feel you are being wrongly removed, there is an endless number of lawyers willing to help settle that issue.

as a legally armed, private citizen, i will try to avoid confrontation whenever possible. i would have left if asked to do so, and, as you suggest, fought another day with attorneys, if i wanted to continue matters (probably not).

as another poster pointed out, a public library isn't a private business, so do they have the same 'right' to order you off their property if they learn that you're armed. but is a library a 'government building' like a courthouse or a city hall?

the Seattle Times columnist, Danny Westneat, is a low-key, anti-gun person, who is bothered by the thought of legally armed people possibly sharing the library with him. poor boy. would he be similarly bothered by a 6'6" male, who might be able to beat him to death with his feet and hands? or how about a group of teenaged young men, who could do the same. or the housewife who might be carrying scissors or a knife, with which she could cut his throat? and my guess is that more innocent people are shot each year by uniformed police officers than are shot by private citizens with CPL's (just a guess). i'm surprised this frightened man ever dares to leave his house. yes, i do find his attitude ridiculous!

Well done SAF!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links