Important gun rights race in Virginia

This is a discussion on Important gun rights race in Virginia within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The race is getting tighter in Virginia. McAuliffe was ahead by a good margin until recently. He's about as left as they get and his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Important gun rights race in Virginia

VIP Member

Important gun rights race in Virginia

The race is getting tighter in Virginia. McAuliffe was ahead by a good margin until recently. He's about as left as they get and his stance on gun control reflects it:

The Wire: OregonLive.com

If he wins it's going to be a big blow to the 2A. I hope ALL Republicans go to the polls and vote! Don't sit home on this one. Volunteer with your local Republican committee to give rides to people who might not be able to get ther on their own.

If you don't live in Virginia, but want to help...here's the Cuccinelli web site. We made a donation in hopes that it will, in some small way, help him win.

Ken Cuccinelli for Virginia Governor 2013 ? Ken will continue to work to strengthen our economy and preserve our liberty.

Help stop the dommino effect of the anti 2A groups.
    Rock and Glock and Tzadik like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

Jeanlouise, thanks for posting this. I see you are a WV gal, but I appreciate your concern about how we Virginians are to be governed. Unfortunately, some who would normally vote republican are disappointed in the candidate and wish Bill Bolling was running. I've even heard some talking a "write-in" vote. I hope this is not the case, as I agree with you that a McAuliffe win would be a real blow to Virginia. I, too, am helping where I can with a "get out the vote" effort. Thanks for your interest in this important race.
    Tzadik likes this.

VIP Member
    I understand being disappointed when "your" candidate isn't the runner (speaking generically, not to you Whaler) but I just don't understand why Republicans don't realize that the only way to win is to stick together...like Liberals do!

No one is perfect and 100% but splitting the vote is a sure way to get a Democrat elected.

Too much is hanging on this VA race to be divided...and get nothing. or in this case, worse than nothing.

We lived for many years in Fairfax country and my husband went to college in Charlottesville, so we keep a close eye on what's happening in VA.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

You are right on. We never seem to learn the lesson of "counting our similarities as Republicans, rather than counting our differences". I am also concerned about the Libertarian candidate taking up to 10% of the vote. (I'm sure your new environment in WVA is a lot more relaxing than Fairfax. Congratulations to you and your husband on escaping the "beltway of life".)

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaler1 View Post
    Jeanlouise, thanks for posting this. I see you are a WV gal, but I appreciate your concern about how we Virginians are to be governed. Unfortunately, some who would normally vote republican are disappointed in the candidate and wish Bill Bolling was running. I've even heard some talking a "write-in" vote. I hope this is not the case, as I agree with you that a McAuliffe win would be a real blow to Virginia. I, too, am helping where I can with a "get out the vote" effort. Thanks for your interest in this important race.
    It's over before it began. The 'other side' sticks together whether they are from Hollywood, Wall Street, or the hood. 'Our side' is full of Prima Donnas who if EVERYTHING doesn't go their way pout and stay home from the polls. That's why we lost in 2012 and why we will continue to loose.
    Jeanlouise and sensei2 like this.

I just read an analysis on the VA General Assembly delegate elections. The expectation is that the Rs may lose 6 seats. That will make it 55-45 with the Rs still in control. FastTerry won't be able to do Bloomberg poop because no anti-2A bill will even get to his desk. IMHO. I still fear that even losing the 6 seats indicates a frightening trend.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Carpe Diem

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I just read an analysis on the VA General Assembly delegate elections. The expectation is that the Rs may lose 6 seats. That will make it 55-45 with the Rs still in control. FastTerry won't be able to do Bloomberg poop because no anti-2A bill will even get to his desk. IMHO. I still fear that even losing the 6 seats indicates a frightening trend.
    Just too many liberal transplants in northern VA for the rest of the state to stop McAuliffe I'm afraid. I hope I'm dead wrong. I don't know why anyone in VA would want anything to do with anything from New York...including that weasel Bloomberg(I'm being nice as this is a family forum). Anyone heard how the race for Lt Governor and Atty Gen is going? Let's hope we can keep the General Assembly pro 2nd Amendment.

If VA turns much more liberal, my wife and I plan to move back to our home state of TN or possibly SC. We live in a rural part of the state along the VA/NC border and it's just a forgotten part of the state.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

VIP Member
    Politics in Virginia is really about 2 Virginias. One is the rural part of the state with solid family values. The other is Northern Virginia with its large population voting block and liberal bent. Much of the middle part of Virginia swings from time to time. Unfortunately is just a matter of time before Virginia goes Democratic. Maybe not this year, but the time will come when this state is lost.

We could not be further apart on our values, or rather I should say some of us have values, others not so much.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    not all republicans are pro gun, not all democrats are anti gun and there are actually quite a few "liberals" that shoot/carry and will fight right alongside of you on the issue of gun rights.

shooting and the ownership of guns for fun and defense is not at all exclusive to republicans, don't alienate your allies in the fight to maintain gun rights.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I lived in Virginia for 14 years...I'd sure hate to see it ruined. Seems like NoVa is taking over the rest of the state much like NYC is ruining the rest of that state. Terrible.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    not all republicans are pro gun, not all democrats are anti gun and there are actually quite a few "liberals" that shoot/carry and will fight right alongside of you on the issue of gun rights.

shooting and the ownership of guns for fun and defense is not at all exclusive to republicans, don't alienate your allies in the fight to maintain gun rights.

I agree to a point. However, as a group(especially at the state and federal level) most Democrats are anti 2nd Amendment.

I don't know many liberals but the ones I do know feel the police and military are the only ones who should be armed and are there "for our protection." I'm sure there are exceptions.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    I don't know many liberals but the ones I do know feel the police and military are the only ones who should be armed and are there "for our protection." I'm sure there are exceptions.
    i feel just the opposite, i know many liberals, i support some "liberal" policies myself. only a select few want total gun ban and they are very extreme on their other views as well. about half of the "liberals" i know own guns and i know many who carry. almost all of them enjoy a day at the shooting range even if they dont own guns.

generalization is never good, we need everyone we can have on our side. outside of the forum few people care that much about the gun issue, there are tons of fence sitters. gun rights is not even top ten of their main concern. they watch the news and then get distracted in 5 minuets. the extreme antis are a lost cause, the very pro gun dont need any more preaching, converting the fence sitters and bringing them to our side is how we will win this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

As an independent who supports free markets and personal freedom (including the freedom to keep and bear arms), I can't bring myself to vote for either the Democratic or Republican candidates this year. Even though I have had a libertarian philosophy for most of my life, I have never actually voted for one. This year I am voting for Sarvis. I expect that McAuliffe will win. I hope that the Republicans in the Virginia legislature will block McAuliffe's anti-gun measures, but when all is said and done, I am not a one issue voter, and simply can't stomach much of Cuccinelli's social platform. Frankly, I can't think of anything that would be better for Virginia than to upset the Republican/Democratic political oligarchy by introducing other alternatives. If Sarvis gets 10%, the Libertarians are automatically on the ballot next time. This may induce the Republicans to back off from romancing the far right wing of the Republican party next time around.

My thoughts almost exactly mirror bklynboy, I know many others who feel the exact same way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    As an independent who supports free markets and personal freedom (including the freedom to keep and bear arms), I can't bring myself to vote for either the Democratic or Republican candidates this year. Even though I have had a libertarian philosophy for most of my life, I have never actually voted for one. This year I am voting for Sarvis. I expect that McAuliffe will win. I hope that the Republicans in the Virginia legislature will block McAuliffe's anti-gun measures, but when all is said and done, I am not a one issue voter, and simply can't stomach much of Cuccinelli's social platform. Frankly, I can't think of anything that would be better for Virginia than to upset the Republican/Democratic political oligarchy by introducing other alternatives. If Sarvis gets 10%, the Libertarians are automatically on the ballot next time. This may induce the Republicans to back off from romancing the far right wing of the Republican party next time around.
    It is all a Chess Match i sure hope the state to the west of us stays strong and keeps it 2A stance and laws in place it is important to all the states not to lose ground . Good luck to our Viginia friends
    bklynboy likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links