Liberty -- important quotes, points

This is a discussion on Liberty -- important quotes, points within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Liberty. A fairly important concept. Misunderstood by many. Yearned for but feared by many. One of the most powerful motivators we've got, as people. Got ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Liberty -- important quotes, points

Liberty. A fairly important concept. Misunderstood by many. Yearned for but feared by many. One of the most powerful motivators we've got, as people.

Got any pithy quotes, references or other points regarding Liberty that would be worth folks remembering?

H. L. Mencken had the right of it, largely:

• I believe that liberty is the only genuinely valuable thing that men have invented, at least in the field of government, in a thousand years. I believe that it is better to be free than to be not free, even when the former is dangerous and the latter safe. I believe that the finest qualities of man can flourish only in free air – that progress made under the shadow of the policeman’s club is false progress, and of no permanent value. I believe that any man who takes the liberty of another into his keeping is bound to become a tyrant, and that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave. -- "Why Liberty?”, in the Chicago Tribune (30 January 1927)

• I believe in only one thing and that thing is human liberty. If ever a man is to achieve anything like dignity, it can happen only if superior men are given absolute freedom to think what they want to think and say what they want to say. I am against any man and any organization which seeks to limit or deny that freedom. . . [and] the superior man can be sure of freedom only if it is given to all men. -- Letters of H. L. Mencken (1961) edited by Guy J. Forgue, p. xiii.

So did Benjamin Franklin and most of the Founders ...

• They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Franklin's Contributions to the Conference on February 17 (III) Fri, Feb 17, 1775
    BugDude and 9mmjoy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)." - Ayn Rand

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
    Patrick Henry

"I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit."
    Theodore Roosevelt

"Our country, in her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right, but right or wrong our country!" Stephen Decatur

He did say "Our country" not "Our government"

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

"Let us consider, brethren, we are struggling for our best birthrights and inheritance, which being infringed, renders all our blessings precarious in their enjoyments, and, consequently triffling in their value. Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves on the ruin of this Country. Let us convince every invader of our freedom, that we will be as free as the constitution our fathers recognized, will justify." --Samuel Adams, A State of the Rights of the Colonists, 1772
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    - James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46 at 243-244

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson ~ Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950]

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
    - Samuel Adams ~ Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at 86-87 (Peirce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850. 2, col. 2.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face!" Zack de la Rocha

Gotta love H.L. Mencken quotes, but if you're religious, I would stay away because you are gonna get offended.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Sponsored Links