Bloomberg attacks again......

This is a discussion on Bloomberg attacks again...... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Three Va. gun shops named in NYC suit Out-of-state effort to control crime again targets illegal firearm sales BY REX BOWMAN TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Dec ...

Three Va. gun shops named in NYC suit
    Out-of-state effort to control crime again targets illegal firearm sales

BY REX BOWMAN
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Dec 8, 2006

New York City is trying to curb its violent crime by once again going after gun dealers in other states, including Virginia.

New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced yesterday that the city has filed suit against 12 gun dealers in five states -- including three gun shops in Virginia -- in an effort to stem the flow of illegally purchased guns into the city.

Bloomberg filed a similar suit in May against 15 gun dealers in the five states -- Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia and South Carolina -- alleging that they illegally sold guns that ended up in the hands of people who committed violent crimes in New York.

The Virginia gun shops targeted by the latest suit, filed in federal court in New York, are the Bob Moates Sports Shop in Midlothian, the Franklin Rod & Gun Shop in Rocky Mount and the Town & Country Pawn Shop in Roanoke.

When told of the lawsuit, Dan Heckman, owner of the Rocky Mount store, said he knows of no improper sales at his shop. "Everything we sell, we have to call the state police about."

Richard Hill, a salesman at Bob Moates, echoed Heckman. "You can't fudge" gun sales, he said.

"Everything going through here has to match up. . . . We have to put it though the state police and FBI criminal computer."

Hill said the law says the stores can't sell handguns to out-of-state residents. They can't control what someone with Virginia identification does with their purchase once they've left the store, he added.

He said his boss, Bob Moates, has been selling guns for about 50 years. "It's not something you'd jeopardize over some little something," Hill said.

According to Bloomberg's office, private investi- gators working in teams of two traveled to the 12 gun dealerships this year and carried out "straw purchases." One of the investigators made all the inquiries about buying the gun, then had the other one fill out the required federal forms to pass the background check.

The investigators' approach was meant to mimic the way felons, who can't own guns, buy them anyway by having a friend fill out the paperwork.

Between 1994 and 2002, New York City police recovered more than 300 crime guns traced to the 12 dealerships, according to Bloomberg.

Of the 15 dealerships targeted in the first suit, six have reached settlements with the city, according to Michael A. Cardozo, New York's corporation counsel.

"We are confident that, like many of those in the first suit, the dealers identified today will recognize that the city's effort is all about public safety, not interfering with lawful business," Cardozo said in a written statement. "We hope they will work with us to that end."

Contact staff writer Rex Bowman at rbowman@timesdispatch.com or (540) 344-3612.
    Times-Dispatch staff writer Mark Holmberg contributed to this report.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

I've been mulling this over. I actually don't mind jumping through a couple of hoops in order to purchase a firearm in Michigan. If the store that I frequent was willing to cross into some shady areas in order to make pruchasing easier for someone, I think I would take some offense to that. You know I hear all the time how criminals can purchase a gun from "some guy" out of the back of his Chevy Mini-van, so why should these gun shops get a free pass. If they have broken the law, they should face the music. But that's where it should end. If someone uses this as a spring board for stricter gun control laws, thats where I would have the problem. Most of us agree that the all that's really needed is for the current laws to be enforced... to me, that's what this sounds like.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Let's see if the NRA steps up this time.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

This whole thing stinks.

Bloomberg is a city mayor not a Federal LEO. He has no right or business conducting his "sting" operations outside of NYC.

Based on what I have read, none of the guns stores did anything wrong. He is just using the law suits to drive them out of business.

He refuses to turn information gathered in his investigations over to the ATF. That sounds like he knows there has been no law broken. Otherwise, he would be guilty of obstruction of justice.

My biggest complaint is WHERE IS THE LEADERSHIP OF VIRGINIA and other states where he has spread his poison?

If I were governor of Virginia, I would file suit against Bloomberg and NYC.

The only government people doing anything is the ATF. It said it was looking into whether he violated any laws.

At least the VCDL is collecting money to help these stores fight the law suits.

Rant Over. I need some valium.

Assistant Administrator
    Bloomberg is a city mayor not a Federal LEO
    Exactly!! I am thinking ''who the *** does he think he is''!

He is using his position - no abusing it - to try and further his extreme anti gun intentions. I do not want ''crooked'' dealers to get away with criminal activity - it's bad for everyone but this is just extreme beyond description.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    According to Bloomberg's office, private investi- gators working in teams of two traveled to the 12 gun dealerships this year and carried out illegal "straw purchases" that they should be prosecuted for. One of the investigators made all the inquiries about buying the gun, then had the other one fill out the required federal forms to pass the background check.
    bold is mine.
    Said it before, I'll say it again...Bloomberg is a piece of garbage...

who else but a piece of garbage would say

"If you tell me you need a gun permit, you're telling me you don't think the NYPD can do a good job in protecting you," he said. "Most people, I don't see any reason why they need it."

It must be nice not to ever need a gun like Mr. Bloomberg. This is because he has a multi-person security detail that could probably outgun all branches of military combined!

As for abusing his power...what did people think when they elected a billionaire as a mayor of a town? He is only in it for a power trip.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced yesterday that the city has filed suit against 12 gun dealers in five states -- including three gun shops in Virginia -- in an effort to stem the flow of illegally purchased guns into the city.
    <snip>
    According to Bloomberg's office, private investi- gators working in teams of two traveled to the 12 gun dealerships this year and carried out "straw purchases." One of the investigators made all the inquiries about buying the gun, then had the other one fill out the required federal forms to pass the background check.
    It sounds to me as though Bloomberg's "investigators" actually committed CRIMES in order to "catch" these dealers selling to straw purchasers.

These are private investigators -- they do not have any special dispensation to break the law, like when cops have narc officers buy drugs and then bust the drug dealers.

They are admitted straw purchasers! They should be going to jail for that. And Bloomberg put them up to it as the mastermind of the whole plan, so HE should be going to jail for conspiracy to commit firearms purchase crimes. What the hell are the feds waiting for?!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walther1 View Post
    It must be nice not to ever need a gun like Mr. Bloomberg. This is because he has a multi-person security detail that could probably outgun all branches of military combined!

As for abusing his power...what did people think when they elected a billionaire as a mayor of a town? He is only in it for a power trip.
    Adding to the pile of proof that he is just power/ego-tripping, he spent MILLIONS OF HIS OWN DOLLARS to buy himself the election! He's not PAID millions of dollars for doing the job of mayor. So clearly, he took a multi-million dollar loss so that he could enjoy the power of being mayor of NYC.

All of us have a vision of what changes we think are necessary in our society. Must be nice to have a vision for where you want to take a city socio-politically, and be able to simply make it happen by spending scads of money.

So when will Bloomberg be arrested for conspiracy, (the various Federal gun laws he and his group broke), and for being an a--hole (wait, can't be arrested for that)

Sounds like the BATF needs to be kicking down Bloomberg's door and that of his cronies for impersonating a FLEO....I think I will vomit now...thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA View Post
    Felons who take the time to work around the system are smart enough not to have the guy fill out the paper work and buy the gun while the felon is still standing there, don't they? This is assinine! Furthermore, even if they did, the person they should go after is the purchaser - he's a felon now, too! People who work in gun stores cannot read minds. Many people, myself included, have brought a friend into a store for guidance, tips, etc. when buying a gun. How is one supposed to tell the difference? Unless the person says explicitly, "OK, that's the one I want, Joe. Buy it for me."

The reason NYC has a problem with gun-related crime is that their law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to carry. Criminals will always have some kind of weapon. They should look at their own laws and enforcement rather than blaming others for their problems.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Of, course he has the endorsement of Ray Nagin LOL....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Bloomberg needs to be made to walk around his city without bodyguards. The first time he's mugged he can explain his gun banning attitude to the robber. At least the robber will agree with Bloomberg, because for the bad guy, gun banning is good for the robbery business.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

The Worst...

news I've heard was that Bloomberg was talking about running for President...what a fiasco that could be...

Bloomberg for pres. and Rosie as VP...wow...what a ticket...

...puke...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links