Have 10 round mags ever helped?

This is a discussion on Have 10 round mags ever helped? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As with most here, I see the 10-round mag laws as nothing but feel good political folly. But those laws have been in place in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Have 10 round mags ever helped?

Have 10 round mags ever helped?

As with most here, I see the 10-round mag laws as nothing but feel good political folly.

But those laws have been in place in various locations for quite some time now. Anyone know of even a single active shooter incident where the shooter actually used a 10-mag?

I'm not trolling. It's a real question. After years of pushing that agenda, if the anti-gunners had even one success case, you'd think they'd jump on it with both feet.

For my part, I want to authoritatively tell my anti-gun friends that no 10-mag has ever saved even one life. But if I'm wrong, that statement falls flat.

Any help?

Cheers,

KRvW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

<crickets>

I think after a few hours, you have your answer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    5, 10, 25 it doesn't matter. Someone bent on killing will use what is available to them.
    tcox4freedom and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KRvW View Post
    For my part, I want to authoritatively tell my anti-gun friends that no 10-mag has ever saved even one life. But if I'm wrong, that statement falls flat.
    Thoughts ...

Fact is, someone who isn't forced to take a time-out in a firefight to reload has an advantage. Saves diverting the attention span. Saves being without firepower for that moment. Belt-fed weaponry came along for good reason, in that sense. Full-capacity magazines are much the same.

Plenty of these multiple-victim murders are perpetrated with plenty of ammo being expended. (Fort Hood, Aurora, etc.) Had those folks only been in possession of ~3-5rd alternatives instead, very likely fewer would have been harmed.

But where I really have a problem is where governmental hirelings daring to decide who gets to live or die. I have a real problem with someone criminalizing me for daring to be protected effectively simply because a few violent felons go off their meds, deciding (a) that I'm to be deemed expendable while (b) ignoring the simple fact the truly violent felons can acquire whatever they need anyway in spite of such laws against me. Eviscerating my ability to respond as heavily as I'm capable in a defensive situation only harms me, while the most violent of felons are going to sidestep such limitations anyway. Makes no sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nothing I have ever read has indicated that the last ban had any significant value in reducing crime.
    Expiration and effect on crime[edit]

The Task Force on Community Preventive Services, an independent, non-federal task force, examined an assortment of firearms laws, including the AWB, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence." [6] A 2004 critical review of firearms research by a National Research Council committee said that an academic study of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence outcomes." The committee noted that the study's authors said the guns were used criminally with relative rarity before the ban and that its maximum potential effect on gun violence outcomes would be very small.[7]
    This quote that I copied from Wikipedia refers to the 1994-2004 AWB which included a ban on manufacture of so called "high capacity magazines". Silly bans on "things" don't change human inclination to violent behavior.

How Many Round Does A KNIFE Have?

Lizzy Borden took an ax…gave her Mother forty whacks….when she saw what she had done…..she gave her Father forty-one!

Axes need too have ah whacks limit...Eh?

VIP Member
    As with most here, I see the 10-round mag laws as nothing but feel good political folly.

But those laws have been in place in various locations for quite some time now. Anyone know of even a single active shooter incident where the shooter actually used a 10-mag?

I'm not trolling. It's a real question. After years of pushing that agenda, if the anti-gunners had even one success case, you'd think they'd jump on it with both feet.

Any help?

Cheers,

KRvW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Here is one example of where limited-capacity firearms were used in a mass shooting. Did those limitations help? Hard to say:
    http://www.acolumbinesite.com/weapon.html
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I shot IDPA during the blanket of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 which limited mag capacity to 10 rounds. Ever see someone shooting a Glock 19 in rapid fire and reloading three ten round mags just
    as fast as someone that has two 15 round mags? I did it all the time. There is no common sense reasoning limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds except the non-gun anti's like to think it makes sense.
    Its feel good legislation at its finest with ABSOLUTELY no basis in fact.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Likely not entirely true. I'd bet someone has stopped a threat with a ten round mag. Likewise, I'd bet there have been plenty more times when 10 wasn't enough.

IMO all 10 round mag limits do is support the magazine manufacturers since more are required to get the capacity most of us would feel safe carrying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I shot IDPA during the blanket of the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 which limited mag capacity to 10 rounds. Ever see someone shooting a Glock 19 in rapid fire and reloading three ten round mags just
    as fast as someone that has two 15 round mags? I did it all the time. There is no common sense reasoning limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds except the non-gun anti's like to think it makes sense.
    Its feel good legislation at its finest with ABSOLUTELY no basis in fact.
    Actually, the Giffords shooter probably did get off more rounds with the happy stick than he would have with a ten-rounder, so there may be some basis in fact. Certainly not enough to promote mag restrictions, imo.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Thanks all who've replied. Especially...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is one example of where limited-capacity firearms were used in a mass shooting. Did those limitations help? Hard to say:
    http://www.acolumbinesite.com/weapon.html
    Thanks for the citation. From what I see there, those guns weren't using 10-round mags due to the AWB of 1994, but because that's just what their capacities happened to be.

So, to revise my question a bit, does anyone know of a citable active shooter case where the attacker was using a 10-round magazine as a result of the AWB of 1994 or some other 10-round law?

And, to be clear, I am absolutely NOT defending the 10-round limits! I agree that they're foolhardy. There's no need to try to convince me of that. I just want to be able to disarm naysayers when they say publicly that 10-round limits are in any way reasonable. I want an authoritative and correct argument against that foolishness. That's all.

Cheers,

KRvW
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Unarmed victims probably don't spend a lot of time counting reloads.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Actually, the Giffords shooter probably did get off more rounds with the happy stick than he would have with a ten-rounder, so there may be some basis in fact. Certainly not enough to promote mag restrictions, imo.
    during the AWB BS, if you normally used two 15 rounders, then you used 3 - 10 rounders. A reload takes a split second for an experienced shooter.......30 rounds down range doesn't make much difference
    whether it came from three magazines or one magazine. With no one to interrupt an active shooter, 3 10 rounders will do just as much damage just as quickly as one 30 rounder. To limit magazine capacity
    based on the erroneous assumption that having a 30 round mag somehow makes you a more efficient mass murderer is ridiculous.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Confused....lobby my friends that never has a 10 round mag saved even one life. Sorry, can someone hit me with a slugger on my head. Is this for or against? I do not think stats have been kept where the good guy stopped a threat using 8 out of 10 available bullets or 3 out of 8. if this is the question........
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnEA...C4C7BEE0A02E48

MOST Unarmed people will run from the sound of gunfire,not to it,giving somebody whether they have a 6 shot revolver or a 33 round magazine plenty of time to reload and take out targets at will,the perfect scenario is when that POS in Norway hunted down all those defenseless kids on that island.
    In several recent mass shootings the Murderer has more than one firearm so even if he fires 10 rounds from a handgun or rifle he can just deploy his next gun until he gets to a position where he can reload
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links