Virginia AG Election: Obenshain versus Anti-2A Forces: UBC versus 2A

This is a discussion on Virginia AG Election: Obenshain versus Anti-2A Forces: UBC versus 2A within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guns Go Down in the NRA?s Backyard - The Daily Beast Ok you Virginia folk: Is this really a UBC issue, or is that a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Virginia AG Election: Obenshain versus Anti-2A Forces: UBC versus 2A

Question Virginia AG Election: Obenshain versus Anti-2A Forces: UBC versus 2A

Guns Go Down in the NRA?s Backyard - The Daily Beast

Ok you Virginia folk: Is this really a UBC issue, or is that a red herring for other issues?

Not that it matters, but $1.3 million from Bloomberg, into a media campaign, has to take a toll.

What's your read? Just Bloomberg, or does the gun lobby need to rethink a wee bit?

I am not trying to start emotional war here, folks, just wanting an honest assessment of what really happened, as I do not rely on Op-Ed's on the web for analysis so much as a data points.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I was hoping Obenshain would hold on to his thin lead, but it looks as if he might not.

This pops out at me from the article:

"Obenshain had run a better campaign the Cuccinelli for months. Though Obenshain shared Cuccinelli’s extreme cultural conservative agenda on guns and women’s issues, he instead put his biography and family in the spotlight as he tried to appeal to voters..."

What used to be considered mainstream American values of family and culture is now considered "extreme". That "extreme" includes adherence to the Constitution and the 2A. So, given that Cuccinelli went down to the Liberal agenda, it looks as if Obenshain will too.

If VA keeps their Republican legislature then they can do damage control; but if they turn in the next election...I imagine Virginia will go the way of Maryland, Washington DC and other states that are very anti gun rights.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

IMO guns and gun laws had little to nothing to do about it. It was a byline unless you are involved heavily in 2A support or gun control advocacy. Which in actuality most people go thru their day not thinking about.The hard right conservative Christian social policies whether proven or implied is what caused the R ticket this loss. When you run a Lt. Governor candidate who publically states yoga is a gateway for satanism the chances of pulling in enough moderate or independent votes to your ticket go down dramatically. Hopefully a lesson is learned.

In a nutshell, northern VA has been overrun by Democratic transplants. There are enough voters in the population centers to carry the entire state, and those population centers are now solidly blue.
    Tzadik likes this.

VIP Member
    I'll go with the red herring option. Bloomberg tosses poo-laden dollars against many walls, and the occasions they seem to stick are cited as proof positive that UBCs generate a groundswell of support. The reality is that extremists of whatever bent are going to have a much tougher time getting elected than their more moderate opponents.
    sensei2, Sig 210, tdave and 2 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

And the last count posted on the news from last night has Obenshain up by 600 or so votes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvermedic View Post
    IMO guns and gun laws had little to nothing to do about it. It was a byline unless you are involved heavily in 2A support or gun control advocacy. Which in actuality most people go thru their day not thinking about.The hard right conservative Christian social policies whether proven or implied is what caused the R ticket this loss. When you run a Lt. Governor candidate who publically states yoga is a gateway for satanism the chances of pulling in enough moderate or independent votes to your ticket go down dramatically. Hopefully a lesson is learned.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This, on all points
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Which in actuality most people go thru their day not thinking about.The hard right conservative Christian social policies whether proven or implied is what caused the R ticket this loss. When you run a Lt. Governor candidate who publically states yoga is a gateway for satanism the chances of pulling in enough moderate or independent votes to your ticket go down dramatically. Hopefully a lesson is learned.
    I agree that it was a dumb statement although he did retract it and try to explain what he meant. Democrats can make all sorts of stupid statements and get away with it (Alan Grayson, Obama, Biden, Pelosi, Reid for instance). But, if a Republican
    makes one, all hell breaks loose and the media report it over and over as if that's his ONLY stance on anything.

However, he's not Mark Obenshain and that's who the thread is about.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

This is absolutely correct. I'll twist it a little bit, though. The "gun issue" gives Bloomberg and Giffords/Kelley an excuse to add money to the fight.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    I disagree that the gun issue had very little to do with the election results.

"Gun control" is always very high on the "bucket list" of Democratic voters. That and most social issues that are considered sacrosanct to Democrats, like abortion.

It's pretty much a tie right now and there will probably be a recount.Obenshain, Herring preparing for attorney general recount - The Daily Progress: News

The Daily Progess is the newspaper in Charlottesville, VA...not webbsite.
    Warrior1256 likes this.

Maybe it just me, but has anybody ever seen a media focused recount where the D candidate actually lost ground?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Maybe it just me, but has anybody ever seen a media focused recount where the D candidate actually lost ground?
    I thought I heard something about that in 2000, hanging chads, etc.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Just calling it as I see it as someone who lives here. While gun control is a democratic party thing I don't think it is necessarily someone who voted for a democrats main concern, or even up in their top 10 reasons to vote for the candidate with a D behind his name. The majority of people aren't R or D they are plain folks in the middle who make a choice on an overall proposed agenda not on one issue only. They take a look and think hmm what is best for me and my family and my values. There will always be a base for each side that will vote their party no matter what, it's the folks in the middle you have to reach now to win elections in swing states. Obenshain is in a tight race and may not win even with the support of most LEO organizations in the state due to the influence of the hard right candidates on his ticket that most of the independents in the state just could not stomach. Guilt by association. Hopefully the recount goes his way and the legislature stays R over the next 4 years so we can at least keep a status quo on our 2A rights.

Most of the time (especially recently), it seems that "they" manage to "find" way more D votes than R votes in the recount process. Al Franken, anyone? Maybe I am just jaded...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

My district in NOVA went Democratic, but in talking with my neighbors, not a single one cited gun control as the reason for not supporting Cuccinelli. When walking my dog around the neighborhood over the past couple of months I noticed that almost all of the (few) houses with Cuccinelli signs on the lawn had cars with "We vote Pro Life" bumper stickers in the driveway. My take away is that it was the divide over abortion/birth control and other issues that relate to religious doctrine which shaped the vote against Cuccinelli, not gun related issues. This has probably spilled over into the AG race as well since Cuccinelli used the AG post as his bully pulpit.

On a related note, in my 25+ years in NOVA, I have never seen so few campaign signs on people's lawns. I think everyone was disgusted with both major party choices this year. I mentioned that there were few Cuccinelli signs, there were really not very many more McAuliffe signs either.
    Rock and Glock and sensei2 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links