Purchasing two handguns in PA Question

This is a discussion on Purchasing two handguns in PA Question within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just called my FFL to tell him to expect a package for me next week containing two handguns I've been dying to own again. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PEF

Thread: Purchasing two handguns in PA Question

I just called my FFL to tell him to expect a package for me next week containing two handguns I've been dying to own again. Ones I should have never let get away.
    I was under the impression (from five years ago or so) that I would need to fill out an additional paper because I was buying a second handgun within 48 hours of the first. He said "don't do it". He told me that another customer had done this and received "several phone calls" over it. That it is no longer 48 hours, but a week wait (he later said two weeks, so not sure which) and that it was not worth the hassle. To leave the one with him and come back for it in two weeks.

Does anyone here know about this or has run into it before? Is there really a hassle and phone calls received (by ATF???) to the purchaser, or is he trying to save himself some paperwork?
    And I fully expect there to be two full transfer fees now, whereas 30 minutes ago I was thinking there would just be one transfer fee and perhaps an extra five bucks added on for the second gun.

I don't know the rules on this, but a few months ago I purchased two pistols at the same time from a gun shop here in PA, and didn't have to fill out anything other than the normal paperwork. I didn't receive any calls or other indications that this was out of the norm.

VIP Member
    Tundra5.7 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

From reading that link (thank you BTW) it sounds like no skin off my nose, but rather the FFL has to *earn* his transfer fee a little more.
    Maybe I'll call the local Gander Mtn and see what they have to say. All the private shops know me and I don't want to waste their time if I'm doing the transfer somewhere else.

My FFL has no problem with staggering pickup times for me if I was to do a multiple-handgun purchase, and he'd only whack me the one fee.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I called GM and they wanted $75 A PIECE to transfer the guns.
    That's as far as we got...

Gasmitty, I see you are from AZ. I'm not sure how that correlates with PA. We have are own background check and all.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I called GM and they wanted $75 A PIECE to transfer the guns.
    That's as far as we got...

Gasmitty, I see you are from AZ. I'm not sure how that correlates with PA. We have are own background check and all.
    Your question addressed a situation with an FFL, and the same Federal law applies regarding handgun purchases, including multiple purchases.

PA may have some additional requirements, but the Federal ones are the same.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Your question addressed a situation with an FFL, and the same Federal law applies regarding handgun purchases, including multiple purchases.

PA may have some additional requirements, but the Federal ones are the same.
    I'm pretty sure individual states can put their own restrictions in place that FFLs are supposed to follow. What flies in AZ may not in PA. And for sure what is OK here is not in NY.

I don't know of any extra paperwork that needs to be filed under PA state law. I think your FFL is being overcautious. I've bought 2 handguns at once before in PA, and it wasn't an issue at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

It would be a State situation,I've bought 10 AR15 lowers at the same time down here,before Fast and Furious
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am leaning that way more myself, Badey.
    I just remembered buying a couple 1911's from a different gun shop 3-4 months ago. It was not the same day, but I know it was within three, possibly two. I need to hunt up the paperwork and check.
    And then call that FFL back and say it's either a go or not. I know they aren't shipping right away because I told them I did not want the pistols to arrive Monday, when just about all the shops are closed.
    FFLs are getting terrible around here. I had a frame shipped to another shop I frequent and it sat for two days. Their excuse was they do not open the package in case their might be damage, so they didn't know who it was for. What about them needing to log it in?! Pathetic. And the frame maker sent me know tracking information, so I didn't know what was going on until I finally got a hold of him.

And just to add... the third shop I would use does not email or fax his license, so I need to wait for him to snail mail things! Pathetic I tell ya.

Just to wrap up this saga and shed some light on the law, it goes like this:
    Currently, if you buy two handguns through an FFL in PA and it is within five working days (more on that later), the FFL has to send two notices out, one to the ATF and one to the sheriff's dept (they handle carry permits in my county). On the five day working days, if the gun shop is only open one day a week, technically it is a five week wait then. It is five of "their" working days. How technical is that? lol
    So today I was able to purchase two handguns at the same time from one FFL. And it involved no extra work from me, but does him. Here's the kicker though, it puts me on a "watch list"...

This watch list is to keep tabs on who might be legally purchasing handguns, but illegally distributing them. The gun shop owner said he did receive a visit from ATF on a similar situation. One of his friends is a collector (without a C&R) and had two single action army Colt's transferred to him the same day. ATF visited the gun shop with a whole list of his buddy's recent purchases (60 pistols in a year) and questioned him on it. Whether he thought the guy might be selling the handguns to gangs or something. They didn't even care what the guns were, just that he had bought a lot in a short amount of time. They also paid his friend a visit.

So hopefully I have nothing more to add here, but I've got the feeling today's purchases might have rasied an eyebrow or two with some of my other purchases in the past year.

Links