Ruger American Rimfire Review

This is a discussion on Ruger American Rimfire Review within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've been itching to fill up a few empty spots in my gun safe with something fun yet inexpensive and I came across this ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DetChris
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Ruger American Rimfire Review

So I've been itching to fill up a few empty spots in my gun safe with something fun yet inexpensive and I came across this beauty at Bass Pro Shops a few days ago...

Cost me $269 before tax. Impulse buy territory :)

It's Ruger's brand new American rifle chambered in .22 long rifle. I've held this and a hunting caliber version of the same rifle and this is a dead ringer to the "real thing". I added a simple bipod to the front, a BSA 3-9 magnification scope to it and hit a neighborhood range to start dialing my scope in.

The indoor range only went out to 25 yards but it was perfect for what I was doing.

I was immediately struck by how well made this rifle was. It's a handsome all black design with fairly light stippled areas around the forend and grip. That stippling was nicely stylized as well. The bolt was well polished with a black bolt handle. The safety is right behind the bolt, shotgun style. It comes with two stock ends. One with a lower cheek piece so that you can shoot through the front fiber optic, rear collapsible sights ala 10/22, or easily swap that cheek rest out for a higher one with the use of scopes. IMO this gun was made for a scope. The iron sights are cute but really not necessary.

It runs on the 10/22's decades proven rotary mag. It holds 10 rounds at a time. After 150 rounds of .22, it didn't hiccup one bit. The bolt action was silky smooth the angle of throw was nice and short. My hand never got close to hitting the scope while cycling the action. The two stage trigger shot like a dream out of the box. Crisp, sudden, repeatable and light. Add that with a full float 22 inch long barrel and it produced nice groups at 25 yards. The hole below was made by about 3 reloads (30 shots). Extremely accurate and repeatable!

I will be trying to hit my local outdoor range so I can stretch this puppy out to 50 and 100 yards to see how it does in the elements.

I am very happy with this rifle. What started out as an impulse buy is turning into the best rimfire gun in my collection. If you see one at your LGS and have some loose change lying around, get one. You won't be sorry!
    Last edited by DetChris; November 10th, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I may have to give this some serious thought. Been years since I owned a bolt action 22LR. I have a bunch of 10/22 mags and three 10/22s. Only been shooting one of those lately. Something might have to give there.
    So....I take it you've been finding some 22LR ammo in your area lately? Or have you been crossing the border to Canada?

I've fondled one (I believe it was the shorter bull barrel) and liked it. I think they hit a home run with this one, especially in states like mine that do not allow hunting with semi-autos unless it's a shotgun (not deer). Great little rifle.
    DetChris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    I may have to give this some serious thought. Been years since I owned a bolt action 22LR. I have a bunch of 10/22 mags and three 10/22s. Only been shooting one of those lately. Something might have to give there.
    So....I take it you've been finding some 22LR ammo in your area lately? Or have you been crossing the border to Canada?
    I've happened upon my share of .22. I've got my stockpile of .22 up to 6k rounds. I always buy anytime I see any.

Very good report. I'll have to look into those rifles. Nothing more fun than a day of sniping squirrels with an accurate bolt 22.
    The one thing I don't agree with you on though is about the open sights. I believe EVERY rifle should have BUIS, and I can't believe the makers of rifles today are allowed to get away with such nonsense by consumers.
    DetChris likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have been thinking about one in the youth model. Maybe I should start thinking about two of them, one for me, one for the grand kids.

I have two 10/22s but I always use my old bolt action single shot when shooting for bragging rights.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've never owned a semi auto .22. They always seemed like only a way to shoot up a lot more ammo and chalk up more misses. My antique Win 72 has gotten the job done for almost 50 years with a w3hole lot less ammo. But there's a make and model to fill everyone's needs and desires.
    DetChris likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsored Links