I have a friend who is paralyzed , gun rights?

This is a discussion on I have a friend who is paralyzed , gun rights? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the restrictions if any on the handicapped , I'm in California....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I have a friend who is paralyzed , gun rights?

What are the restrictions if any on the handicapped , I'm in California.

For physical handicaps, I think the answer is "none". Ie that it doesnt matter.

There are no restrictions I know of. For CC here, you have to demonstrate being able to handle a gun safely @ the range.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by malford View Post
    what are the restrictions if any on the handicapped , Im in California
    None, as far as I know. Why would there be?

BTW - Welcome to the forum!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Here in Puerto Rico gun laws are pretty tough. You need a license to own, for which you are investigated by police and being an able person is a requirement.

If you can shoot it, you can use it...
    Even this guy... Michael shoots his .45 with his feet - YouTube
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If he can fire the gun safely then IMHO he has a greater need than healthy people in States where you must Have a NEED for a permit.I am partially paralyzed,"Incomplete Quad",I can walk with a cane,but need a CHAIR for long distances,I'm in Texas and not only carry but can shoot anything you put in my hands,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If he can fire the gun safely then IMHO he has a greater need than healthy people in States where you must Have a NEED for a permit.
    Agree with the above!

Welcome to the forum.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    As long as you can demonstrate on the range that you can safely operate a firearm you're good to go in my state.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As for your question. A physical handicap should not have an effect on your right to own/shoot guns, as long as your able to so safely. However since we're talking about California, that doesn't necessarily apply.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

thank you all for your feed back god bless

If some one attempted to deny him based on his handicapped status I would think Americans with Disabilities Act would be`applicable.

CA does not put any "more" restrictions on a handicapped person. It will mostly depend on where in CA he lives. DR

VIP Member
    I think there could be some really interesting legal head banging if someone could not do a required range test due to a
    handicap but could nonetheless use a gun to protect themselves. It isn't all that hard to imagine examples of such.

There would not only be the constitutional issues surrounding the right delineated by 2a, there would be the problem
    of discrimination against the handicapped if the range at which the test was given could not accommodate the person.

I don't think the OP's question is trivial or unimportant; just the opposite. Also, there are other kinds of handicaps
    besides partial paralysis or partial blindness which could interfere with the ability to take a range test but not the ability to
    safely use a firearm for self defense or just for sport. Just for a quick example, TX doesn't let you take the range test
    with a caliber below 32. There certainly are some arthritics folk who might manage well with a 22 lr or 22 Magnum or 25. And, since a CHL isn't necessarily solely for SD, the argument that inability to handle a SD round is disqualifying makes no sense as far
    as license disqualification. (A CHL isn't an SD license. There is no such thing.)

My naive know it all view would be that so long as the handicap is not a severe intellectual or mental problem, the state would be compelled to accommodate, somehow.

Now I'll go sleep at the HIE. Maybe my opinion will change by morning.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In KY in a private sale you pay your money, you get your gun. From an FFL, they run Instant check, ( delays you 1-5 mins), you pay your money, you get your gun. Open carry is legal. For CCDW you take 1 day class pass written test hit target 7 of 20 at 7 yards ( I believe) and you will get concealed carry permit. I would imagine the instructor/assessor would need to accomodate disabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links