So apparently brandishing an intimidaion are acceptable "protest" techniques

This is a discussion on So apparently brandishing an intimidaion are acceptable "protest" techniques within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 40 Armed Gun Advocates Intimidate Mothers Against Gun Violence In A Restaurant Parking Lot | ThinkProgress I am glad the 1st amendment exists, I am ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: So apparently brandishing an intimidaion are acceptable "protest" techniques

So apparently brandishing an intimidaion are acceptable "protest" techniques

40 Armed Gun Advocates Intimidate Mothers Against Gun Violence In A Restaurant Parking Lot | ThinkProgress

I am glad the 1st amendment exists, I am glad like minded folks can get together and protest against things they do not believe in, what they want to see changed, whatever. What I have a problem with is showing up, with loaded weapons in the name of a "protest" against those you wholeheartedly disagree with. There is no way that this is not outright intimidation, this behavior is not helping the "pro-gun" (dare I call it) movement. With the left leaning media being the norm here in the US, it is challenging to showcase aspects of "positive gun ownership," and incidents like this simply do not help...they cause more harm than good.

I am trying to imagine exactly what these idiots were thinking (yes, they are idiots through and through). What were they expecting to happen? Were they honestly hoping for the 4 MDA members would look out the restaurant window, see 40 folks with their locked and loaded AR's, semi-autos, etc and think "well, I can see clearly now, of course any person no matter what should be able to own and carry weapons however they see fit...thanks guys! Let's go to Walmart and buy some ammo!!!"

I am sure that some of you may disagree with my rant here, and that is fine. But I stand firm in my belief that this behavior is absolutely unacceptable, and in my opinion, these jerks should be arrested for among other things, intimidation and brandishing.

What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?
    Last edited by nkanofolives; November 11th, 2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Incomplete Sentence
    JulesWinnfield likes this.

2. Remove Ads

So I guess the OP is sayin it is ok for anti-gun folks to protest but not us gun owners? Seems to me that open carry is allowed in Virginia so where are these folks going wrong.
    StormRhydr and Ghost1958 like this.

If the 2A is truly intended to keep government in line, I don't see how you can use it (as intended) without using intimidation.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Administrator
    What's not acceptable here is posted non self defense stories.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Just for a point of reference, you can see the other "side" of the picture here:

JD
    Administrator
    **Thread moved** just so we can better clear the air of what's what etc.

It's easy to see what a differing POV can lead to regarding to this situation.

I typically don't agree with the open carry of long guns, but as part of a counter protest I don't see much difference between this armed group and those that counter the Westboro yahoos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    40 Armed Gun Advocates Intimidate Mothers Against Gun Violence In A Restaurant Parking Lot | ThinkProgress

I am glad the 1st amendment exists, I am glad like minded folks can get together and protest against things they do not believe in, what they want to see changed, whatever. What I have a problem with is showing up, with loaded weapons in the name of a "protest" against those you wholeheartedly disagree with. There is no way that this is not outright intimidation, this behavior is not helping the "pro-gun" (dare I call it) movement. With the left leaning media being the norm here in the US, it is challenging to showcase aspects of "positive gun ownership," and incidents like this simply do not help...they cause more harm than good.

I am trying to imagine exactly what these idiots were thinking (yes, they are idiots through and through). What were they expecting to happen? Were they honestly hoping for the 4 MDA members would look out the restaurant window, see 40 folks with their locked and loaded AR's, semi-autos, etc and think "well, I can see clearly now, of course any person no matter what should be able to own and carry weapons however they see fit...thanks guys! Let's go to Walmart and buy some ammo!!!"

I am sure that some of you may disagree with my rant here, and that is fine. But I stand firm in my belief that this behavior is absolutely unacceptable, and in my opinion, these jerks should be arrested for among other things, intimidation and brandishing.

What are everyone else's thoughts on the matter?
    Nothing in the article said if the guns were loaded or not. That is your assumption. Even so, if you look at the picture taken from the head on view, they don't appear to be that scary or menacing to me.

Maybe the MDA group was just looking for an excuse to go to Hooters.
    StormRhydr and Ghost1958 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    From the story: A member of OCT responded by tweeting, “I guess I’m a #gunbullies #Comeandtakeit.

Folks, there is a right way and a wrong way. A time and place for everything.
    What these OCT folks did was IMO plain flat out misugided, if for no other reason they
    are swatting at a fruit fly in the grand scheme of thing; a group of moms, great move, not!

And in return they gain themselves negative publicity and a news story that harms. A tiny turn of
    situation/circumstances and they would have gained themselves an arrest. Not smart.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If you read that in a NRA magazine Id bet it would be more like
    " 10 times as many showed up to counter a MDA protest "
    its all about spin! DR
    msgt/ret and Warrior1256 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Just for a point of reference, you can see the other "side" of the picture here:

Major difference with just a slight shift of camera angle, a bit of “selective” reporting maybe.
    atctimmy, JD, blitzburgh and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If it actually happened (don't know, but pics and description seem to show it did) ...

Wow. Not something I'd participate in, coming later to a competing protest gathering in a manner that involved gathering up guns from the trunk to deploy as a group arrayed "against" the other protesters.

Now, I've carried (and on a few occasions openly) to certain protests, but these weren't competing protests that had a high risk of folks who'd feel directly threatened.

Personally, if this is how it all went down, my opinion is that it was needlessly inciting to do it in that manner. Though, that said, it was in Texas. And there, open carry can only involve rifles, as OC of sidearms is unlawful. Thus, this OC display was only possible with long guns.

My view: this method is misguided, as some others have suggested. It's fairly assured of being taken as deliberately in-your-face, flagrant. Rough, when it involves arms and the constitutional fight we're in involves so many that'll take it badly. Protesting is one thing. Even openly. But to do it in a manner all but certain to be taken confrontationally with arms is about as likely to degenerate and have bad outcomes as, say, neo-Nazi skinheads coming to a Jewish rally for inter-faith understanding. There's a time and place for things. Had they already been there at the venue and set up shop, or if they'd not arrived en masse and (by nature of the OC laws in TX) not needed to unload all the weaponry at the same time, much of the disconcerted reaction and resulting bad press could likely have been avoided.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    a group of moms, great move, not!
    I doesn't make any difference it the are "a group of moms" or not, Those of us who believe in the 1st amendment can protest as well.

For to long these anti-gun folks have been running ruff shot over us. Some in the gun community have woke up and decided enough is enough, two can play this game. It IMO is a good counter to the antis wants....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I doesn't make any difference it the are "a group of moms" or not, Those of us who believe in the 1st amendment can protest as well.

Though, it's unfortunate in TX the statutes criminalize openly carrying anything but a long gun. I'd be willing to bet that if folks in the competing protest arrived in ones/twos in separate cars instead of en mass (as they apparently did) and weren't required to unload their weapons so visibly (being long arms), much of the furor and fear would have not occurred.

And, with any protest, there's holding a protest or vigil at the same basic venue. And then there's camping out right in front of (in the face of?) the other protesters (a la the neo-Nazi example above, which is typical of such ploys). Wasn't there, so I can't say how it went down exactly. But given the tenor of the politics involved and how high a percentage of the Congress is in the anti-gunner camp already, it's a risky tactic to do such engagements in an in-your-face manner without consideration of the ramifications. There are, IMO, ways to do this sort of thing openly. It needn't generate such hostility and fear, even if at the same venue.

I'm all for openly carrying. I'm all for making a point. But I'm also all for doing it intelligently. A prime example of blowing the call was Adam What's-his-name attempting to promote that felonious armed march on D.C. earlier in the year. Now, that was clearly the wrong way to do an in-your-face deal, all but certain to generate hugely negative outcomes because of the method chosen.
    JulesWinnfield likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Four (4) members of MDA. Wow. Underwhelmed. I hope I choose my battles betters than that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links