If your job knowingly puts you in harms way, should they deny your right to SD? - Page 5

If your job knowingly puts you in harms way, should they deny your right to SD?

This is a discussion on If your job knowingly puts you in harms way, should they deny your right to SD? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pittypat21 A better question is should your job deny your right to SD regardless of whether they put you in harms way. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: If your job knowingly puts you in harms way, should they deny your right to SD?

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    A better question is should your job deny your right to SD regardless of whether they put you in harms way.

Either way, the answer is "No, they shouldn't".
    THIS is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    There is a simple rule by which I live. If there are places I will not go without a gun, I will not go to those places when I have a gun.

If you are so concerned about your safety in your workplace that you feel you may need a gun to fend off an attack from a work release prisoner, wouldn't it make more sense to find a job where your greatest worry is how to avoid that annoying guy that's always trying to get you to contribute five bucks to the weekly football pool?
    I'm not just worried about an attack from a work release prisoner, but from anyone at all, including disgruntled employees, mass shootings, etc. Workplaces are one of the most common places where these incidents occur, including schools. Or maybe I just want to carry there because I damn well feel like it?

Workplaces are not quite the same as an individuals home or land. They are subject to various laws on hiring practices, codes of ethics, OHSA/Safety requirements, etc. They CANNOT do whatever they please! And unlike an individuals home, I cannot "just leave" for if I do I can't make a living. I'm more or less forced to be there for now, not technically on paper but in reality, yes. All I want changed is the ability to CCW and defend myself since I cannot control who they hire or what they may do.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    This is your quote from the OP:

If you are true to that word then you would favor any type of weapon and any form of carry in any place of employment. But that is not what you advocate. You want a limit on what you think is reasonable....
    That sir is the trap. At some point you will be infringing on the right to carry if a law is passed stating CC only.
    Of course not everything or everyone will be happy with the laws and regulations. There are some grey areas. Would you rather have it all black and white where anything or everything is allowed to be carried or nothing at all? That defies common sense, and will never happen. However, being able to CCW on the job is not totally out of the scope of reason. Certain aspects of the laws can be changed. Indeed, they have been changing and getting better for pro-gunners for awhile now.

I've made what I'd like to see happen perfectly clear in an earlier post. People can razz me about my stance, or talk about private property this or that, but if they enacted legal carry on the job, I've no doubt that most of the folks on this forum would consider it a huge victory and be happy as a pig in s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You don't have any 'right' to carry firearms on anyone else's property. If you don't like being unarmed by their property 'rules', don't go on their property.
    That's what my state of WI has been telling us all these years about carrying a firearm ANYWHERE until quite recently. That law was changed (thank the Lord). Laws about carrying on certain large businesses can be changed too.

BTW... I do have the right to have a firearm in my car while on "their property" (where a criminal can break in and steal). Go figure.

I wonder what would happen if I needed to shoot someone from my car on their property? Probably the same thing as if I did it in their building, which is they wouldn't be held responsible by WI law. So why deny my right to CCW?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA1945 View Post
    I'm not just worried about an attack from a work release prisoner, but from anyone at all, including disgruntled employees, mass shootings, etc. Workplaces are one of the most common places where these incidents occur, including schools. Or maybe I just want to carry there because I damn well feel like it?

Workplaces are not quite the same as an individuals home or land. They are subject to various laws on hiring practices, codes of ethics, OHSA/Safety requirements, etc. They CANNOT do whatever they please! And unlike an individuals home, I cannot "just leave" for if I do I can't make a living. I'm more or less forced to be there for now, not technically on paper but in reality, yes. All I want changed is the ability to CCW and defend myself since I cannot control who they hire or what they may do.
    Your premise appears to have morphed from the original - "I would like to see a law enacted in my state whereas any place of employment that knowingly hires or brings in prisoners or convicted felons ought not to have the right to deny any law-abiding citizens their the right to SD."

Either way, you are right - an employer cannot do whatever the employer wants to do. But it can and should still be able to do a lot, and run the business as it sees fit. Think Hobby Lobby and its HHS lawsuit. That's what happens when the government tells everyone what to do.

Look at it this way as well. Employer is anti-gun because of traumatic experience in his past. Just can't stand to be around them; deep mental trauma. Now the state tells him he must allow his employees to carry. So the employer decides to close up shop and a dozen people are out of work. Who wins?

Few rights are absolute, and we need to respect the rights of others (this is America). And you can find an employer that allows for carry if you look hard enough.

And if all else fails, start your own business and carry all you like.
    suntzu and ccw9mm like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA1945 View Post
    That's what my state of WI has been telling us all these years about carrying a firearm ANYWHERE until quite recently. That law was changed (thank the Lord). Laws about carrying on certain large businesses can be changed too.

BTW... I do have the right to have a firearm in my car while on "their property" (where a criminal can break in and steal). Go figure.

I wonder what would happen if I needed to shoot someone from my car on their property? Probably the same thing as if I did it in their building, which is they wouldn't be held responsible by WI law. So why deny my right to CCW?
    See, here's where the disconnect happens. It a denial of your right if you don't have a choice. So, your rights really are being infringed if you cannot carry a firearm to and from work, hence why you are allowed to keep it inside your vehicle while on their parking lot. Otherwise not only would you be defenseless while on their property, but you are also rendered defenseless while you commute to, and from, your workplace. If you cannot carry while at work, that's your choice because you choose to work there. If you don't like their rules, go find another job that has a structure that is more palatable to your sense of self preservation.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links