County Wants Dealers to Help Implement Gun Control

This is a discussion on County Wants Dealers to Help Implement Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...nclick_check=1...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: County Wants Dealers to Help Implement Gun Control

Senior Moderator
    They can ask, but they can't demand.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

"In order to facilitate compliance with the potential ordinance, Leon County is seeking participation from FFL dealers to act as third party intermediary to request background checks on behalf of private sellers. As such, the private seller would first sign the firearm over into the inventory of a licensed dealer. The dealer would then conduct the background check. If the buyer is not approved, the dealer must also perform a background check on the seller before returning the gun. If the seller is not approved, the dealer takes control of the weapon.
    Yeah, that especially, should fly over quite well.

That is a clear attempt to pressure licensed dealers into helping county officials implement gun control.
    Ya don't say?!

ETA: To those more in the know than I, say this happens and the dealer takes control of the weapon, is he/she required to reimburse the owner of it?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Brought to mind the old saying "Wish in 1 hand,poop in the other. See which fills up first".
    msgt/ret, CIBMike and Ghost1958 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Theres a reason why God gave us a middle finger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The major oversight in this "ordinance' is that it violates state law. Counties have nearly no say so in gun laws due to state preemption. Secondly I seriously doubt LDSs are going to bite the hand that feeds them. More wishful thinking on the commissioner' part.

790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.—
    (1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by the State Constitution or general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or any administrative regulations or rules adopted by local or state government relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances, rules, or regulations are hereby declared null and void.

[The commissioners] are opening themselves up to fines by proposing any local firearm ordinances.
    Last edited by OldVet; November 12th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Your right OldVet but I would not put anything past the J.W.'s. I kid I kid!!!!
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I have sympathy for you in Florida and wish you success in removing such critters from office. Here we have a local target for removal come election day his initials are Justin Jones.

VIP Member
    This certainly isn't the first politician on either side of the debate who doesn't understand the law, preemption, or how things work in general.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ms. Hammer is opening herself up to fines by proposing any local firearm ordinances.
    Read it again: Marion Hammer is NOT part of that mess. She was reporting on it in her opinion column.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Oops, my bad.

And I feel doubly bad for saying My Bad.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This certainly isn't the first politician on either side of the debate who doesn't understand the law, preemption, or how things work in general.
    Exactly. These politicians are idiots. I hope local gun shops do not go through with it.
    Warrior1256 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oops, my bad.
    And I feel doubly bad for saying My Bad.
    We know you have a warm heart!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Reminded me of a story I once read about this FFL who had been in business like 40 years and when he learned he was dying he put all his records right next to the voilite chemicals in the storage shed and he said well you know accidents happen and he left it in his will to kindly inform the boys on the hill of that terrible accident after he was gone ...

But sry FL. I know CO and CA do that crap and it sucks. Just read all the rants on Calguns tales of dealers refusing to help because they make no money in it or they hate it dont understand it or illegal charge 75-100 bucks to do it . No thank you .

Also dont forget in CA back in when they first started doing gun control bills they said dont worry your guns are safe and register them well guess what happen .. let just say a lot of people lost a lot of sks -m/ d rifles ..

VIP Member
    You'll have a hard time getting anyone who knows me to believe I have one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links