Can I CCW in a... Laws are vague at best. Colorado

This is a discussion on Can I CCW in a... Laws are vague at best. Colorado within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The verbiage on the CCW laws is vague at best. I'm trying to figure out if it's legal to conceal carry in places like: libraries, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Can I CCW in a... Laws are vague at best. Colorado

The verbiage on the CCW laws is vague at best.
    I'm trying to figure out if it's legal to conceal carry in places like: libraries, banks, post offices, meeting rooms in the same building as police stations, and for that case police stations. Also I know that it's illegal to CC in public schools, what about private/paid/catholic schools?

Yes I have read http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf many times and I don't see definitive answers.
    The only thing that I see is:
    4)
    A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not aut
    horize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a
    public building at which:
    (a)
    Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each
    entrance to the building;
    (b)
    Security personnel electronically screen
    each person who enters the building to determine whether the
    person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
    (c)
    Security personnel require each person who is carrying a
    weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the pers
    on is in the
    building

None of these places that I have mentioned have guards or electronic screening.

Other than the Federal Rules, Colorado CC is rarely limited, and is essentially limited only by the above. If there is a screening device and attendants it is a "No Go".

Look here also: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx

All schools are prohibited - public, private, parochial (Federal)

Post Office: NO GO (Federal)

Banks: OK

Libraries: OK

Screening devices and security pre-empts everything in the public building category (e.g. library)!

Also note: Colorado has a "Zero Tolerance" regarding drinking alcoholic beverages and CC.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    You can not carry in ANY school K-12, preschools are one of those questionable ones, if it federally or state funded I would avoid carrying there also.

You can carry everywhere else unless they have electronic or physical searches when you enter. That is why you are not allowed to carry at a Rockies, Broncos or Avs games, because they search on entry.

So with some searching I found a different link http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf (page 3) has somewhat of a list. Still some holes.

libraries, ?
    banks, ?
    post offices, Can't carry,
    meeting rooms in the same building as police stations, depends on if the Building Owed, Leased or Rented by the Federal Government.
    police stations. can't carry, pretty much assumed that.
    Also I know that it's illegal to CC in public schools, what about private/paid/catholic schools? ?

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    You can not carry in ANY school K-12, preschools are one of those questionable ones, if it federally or state funded I would avoid carrying there also.

You can carry everywhere else unless they have electronic or physical searches when you enter. That is why you are not allowed to carry at a Rockies, Broncos or Avs games, because they search on entry.
    Any public school.
    " of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school;"

Hi Rock and Glock,

Where are you getting you info on the "zero tolerance" for drinking and ccw here in CO?

Many folks are under the opinion that the same BA standards apply for CCW as driving (eg- a beer with diner is fine).

Thanks,

Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    Any public school.
    " of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school;"
    BATFE Regs do not differentiate between private, public and parochial schools, IIRC.

Here's Colorado Statutes:

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds
    (1) A person commits a class 6 felony if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without le- gal authority carries, brings, or has in such per- son's possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-901 (3) (e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, high, or vocational school or any public or pri- vate college, university, or seminary, except for the purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruc- tion in conjunction with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the neces- sary duties and functions of an employee of an educational institution that require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of participa- tion in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
    CJ_mp40c likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Hi Rock and Glock,

Where are you getting you info on the "zero tolerance" for drinking and ccw here in CO?

Many folks are under the opinion that the same BA standards apply for CCW as driving (eg- a beer with diner is fine).

Thanks,

Hunter
    Let me look. It results from a very strict interpretation of the statute.

Here's the NRA-ILA interpretation:

MISCELLANEOUS
    It is unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
    That reflects the statute I haven't looked for yet. The "under the influence" does NOT have a minimum, although reason should play a significant part. E.G. Some cold medicines have alcohol in the formulation.

I'll go find the statute..............

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons. (1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:

(d) He THE PERSON has in his OR HER possession a firearm while he THE PERSON is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, AS IT EXISTED PRIOR TO ITS REPEAL, OR POSSESSION OF A PERMIT OR A TEMPORARY EMERGENCY PERMIT
    ISSUED PURSUANT TO PART 2 OF THIS ARTICLE is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).
    Now I'll go find 12-22-303................Can't find.............

Here's from RMGO:

Is it legal to be intoxicated while possessing a firearm?

No. "Under the influence" is the key.

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons.
    (1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:
    (d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).
    So.................just stay under the limit..................YMMV Blah blah blah................

The best I'm finding is this:
    18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons. (1) A person commits a
    class 2 misdemeanor if:
    (d) He THE PERSON has in his OR HER possession a firearm while he
    THE PERSON is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled
    substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a
    permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, AS IT EXISTED PRIOR TO ITS
    REPEAL, OR POSSESSION OF A PERMIT OR A TEMPORARY EMERGENCY PERMIT
    ISSUED PURSUANT TO PART 2 OF THIS ARTICLE is no defense to a violation of
    this subsection (1).
    Without quoting more, statute 12-22-303 points you to the revised statute that makes a BAC of .08 the limit for driving. I have to believe that's the guideline for carrying as well. It doesn't seem real clear.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The best I'm finding is this:

Without quoting more, statute 12-22-303 points you to the revised statute that makes a BAC of .08 the limit for driving. I have to believe that's the guideline for carrying as well. It doesn't seem real clear.
    That is an ascertainable standard at least, whereas the "complete" prohibition sounds draconian, as well as well nigh unenforceable. Thanks for finding that 12-22-303..........I went stupid and my circuits didn't close to find that Good job!

Links