Interesting Op-ed regarding the 2nd & Militias.

This is a discussion on Interesting Op-ed regarding the 2nd & Militias. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I found a link to this on another gun board and thought it was a great op-ed. http://www.opinioneditorials.com/fre..._20061210.html December 10, 2006 Does the 2nd Amendment ...

I found a link to this on another gun board and thought it was a great op-ed.

http://www.opinioneditorials.com/fre..._20061210.html

December 10, 2006

Does the 2nd Amendment regard the person or a "militia"? I say, what's the difference?

Christopher Coleman

"That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, composed of the Body of the People, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe Defence of a free state..."

George Mason, the noteworthy Virginian founding father and namesake of the major Northern Virginia university (also my alma mater), quoted this exact statement in his “Declaration of the essential and Unalienable Rights of the People”, a document that would later have probably the most profound impact in forming the basis for the Bill of Rights found in the Constitution of the United States. George Mason is remembered as a libertarian of the highest order, going so far as to refuse to sign the draft of the Constitution that did not include a statement listing the rights so sacred to the freedom of man that no government should be allowed to trample upon them. The founders, Mason among them, found the need for the common citizenry to have the right do bear arms for defense so fundamentally important that it was listed second in the Bill of Rights. The United States is grounded, indeed was founded, on the principle that one day, at some time, the average person may be called upon to defend all that he holds dear, including every other unalienable right given to him by God and the Constitution; from that evil which seeks to take away from him. Would any historical scholar argue that were it not for the farmer and merchant “minutemen” who fired the shots at Lexington and Concord, or the Virginian planters under Thomas Nelson Jr. who dug the trenches at Yorktown, that the dream of a United States might never have come to pass? The tradition of the militia is as old in this country itself, and the term does not describe only the role of part time soldiers. Sadly, it seems that the majority in this country would now say the need for militia is moot in that days of a standing U.S. military, the National Guard, and 24/7 police forces. The government of the District of Columbia has recently argued that the 2nd Amendment only applies to the archaic notion of “militias” and not to the average populace themselves. They would however be dead wrong to think that in this day and age the only true militia is the government-funded and equipped National Guard. One need only look at the definition of militia to realize that the National Guard is not the only militia in existence or that even with the presence of the police and the military, we couldn’t one day face the possibility of having to defend for ourselves the life and freedom we hold so dear.

The definition of “militia”, as given by the popular internet encyclopedia is: “the activity of one or more citizens organized to provide defense… The entire able-bodied male population of a community, town, or state, which can be called to arms against an invading enemy, to enforce the law, or to respond to a disaster (this is established in the U.S. under federal law, namely Title 10, USC, Section 311); A private, non-government force, not necessarily directly supported or sanctioned by its government; Defense activity, as well as those engaged in it, when it is defense of the public, its territory, property, and laws.” Given this definition, the whole civilian populace able to bear arms in time of war or crisis may constitute a militia, and it does not necessary have to be organized along military lines or even be more than one person. The only necessary act of being a militia is defending the nation, the rights given to citizens of this nation, and lives of those we hold dear.

Lets not for one second think that there will never come a time in our nation’s future when the military, the police, even the whole government apparatus will fail the common citizens; and that defensive actions of brave men and women, with no military or law enforcement training, who never wanted to fight any war or police any crime, will be this country’s last hope for salvation. I’m not talking about just the hundreds if not thousands of times a year when death or serious criminal acts where thwarted by responsibly-armed citizens…no, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’m talking about the chance that one day; the common man may have to defend this country from an enemy intent on making war on the United States as a whole. I give three names as an example: Todd Beamer, Tom Burnett, and Jeremy Glick. These men were three of a group of several passengers on United Airlines Flight 93 who, when faced with certain death at the hands of the enemies of America on September 11th, 2001, fought back and while sacrificing their lives in the process, saved countless lives, and possibly even the nation’s landmark White House or Capitol. These men and women did not have firearms, but in my mind no less a militia than those on Lexington Green, and did no less fighting for freedom and liberty than the brave National Guard soldiers that have fought in every war since the Guard’s formation. The government of Washington D.C. can say whatever it pleases about gun safety or the need to have handguns in such an urban environment. However we should not tolerate those who govern a city whose name is synonymous with crime in some circles to say that the militia no longer exists…which is akin to saying the common citizen will never need the right to defend his life, his rights, or his nation. A government which says that takes it upon themselves to insure that such an even requiring such defense will never occur; and after witnessing the ability of terrorists to attack us on September 11, I am not sure any government can take that vow.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    A government which says that takes it upon themselves to insure that such an event requiring such defense will never occur; and after witnessing the ability of terrorists to attack us on September 11, I am not sure any government can take that vow.
    Oh, sure they can. They just can't deliver on their vow.

Good article, and straight to the point. Even today, with all of our societal safeguards, it still falls to the individual common citizen to defend himself and the people and things he loves. Who can in good conscience deny that God-given right?

Well I have yet to find a SCOTUS case that renders the RKBA a collective right.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If someone were to actually take the time to read US v Miller, the SCOUS ruling the antis love to cite....The reasoning behind allowing the continued restriction on sawed off shotguns is that no one had shown that a short barreled shotgun had any place in the usual equipment of a military organization. And as it was not shown to be a regular part of military they said it was not protected by the second amendment. Which pretty much states the individual right to posses MILITARY arms.

So if you follow this reasoning my 54 cal muzzle loader is of no use in a modern military so I might concede that under Miller the feds could ban it…..HOWEVER my ARs; AKs; FN-FAL etc. ARE protected.

Good Article...

I think I'm going to email a copy to Mrs. Brady!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the article!
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Dig Deeper...

I have printed the originally prorosed amendment...and then searched additional details given for further searches within the article...LOTS of info...certainly worth printing, reading, and sharing...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I recently read that the reason US v Miller turned out the way it did was because neither Miller nor his attorney bothered to show up for court! If they had, and had proved that short barreled shotguns were used in WW1, the whole thing may have turned out way different. Oddly, supposedly Miller was never seen or heard from again. Smell a conspiracy anyone?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links