Dunham's Sports + pistol ammo = records

Dunham's Sports + pistol ammo = records

This is a discussion on Dunham's Sports + pistol ammo = records within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods: feel free to move; I wasn't sure if it belonged here or not. Below is a letter to Dunham's Sports I just sent. To ...

Thread: Dunham's Sports + pistol ammo = records

Exclamation Dunham's Sports + pistol ammo = records

Mods: feel free to move; I wasn't sure if it belonged here or not.

Below is a letter to Dunham's Sports I just sent. To sum it up, if you plan on buying handgun ammo there, be prepared to sign a form.

To whom it may concern:

I wanted to comment on a policy your company has implemented in its PA stores. Upon bringing a box of .38 Special ammunition (ammunition that could be used in either a pistol or a rifle) to the checkout, and having shown my state ID twice (once at the firearms counter and once at the cash register) I had to sign some type of form in order to make my purchase. Since my personal information had already been written on this form (when I handed my ID to the cashier), I complied.

I feel it is unethical to record personal information without notifying your customers. I would like to point out that in the state of PA, there are no laws requiring any type of paperwork to be filled out in order to purchase ammunition.

While I am unclear as to why you would have such a redundant policy, since a background check (PICS) is required to purchase any firearm, I am sure that I will shop elsewhere for any of my future sporting goods needs.
    I would also like to point out that I don't have so much as a point on my drivers license, and I have a spotless criminal record; so you have just lost one more "good" customer. I thought you would like to know why.

Sincerely,

(me)
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That's pretty sick.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

All of the Dunhams here in Northern Michigan won't sell any "pistol" ammo. When I asked why, the manager said they didn't want the liability. That's all I could get out of him, so it made me wonder if there is higher insurance for dealers that sell ammunition that is typically considered pistol ammo. I know that there is a lot of ammunition that can be used in both (A friend has a .270 hunting pistol), but Dunhams here still won't sell 9mm.

Whether liability insurance is the reason or not, I think you handled it very well. Letting them know they are losing your $$ and why they are losing it is the best way to at least get them thinking.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I have bought 9mm at Dunhams recently in Indiana and had no problems and no forms, they keep it locked behind the counter is all.

Not at a Dunham's, but at a Wal-Mart, I ran into a similar problem YEARS ago. This was after boot camp, while I was in my MOS school. I stopped by Wally World to pick up some .22LR for my father's Ruger MK II we were going to shoot that day, along with various other rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I was 18. Keep in mind, I had just gotten back from combat training where I shot automatic grenade launchers for crying out loud!

Clerk: "Are these for a pistol or rifle?"
    Me: "Pistol."
    Clerk: "I'm sorry, you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammunition."
    Me: "It's for a rifle, then."
    *Clerk looks at me funny and grunts*
    Clerk: "Fine."

Rang me up, and that was that. Retailers that want to come up with their own stupid policies regarding ammunition and other similar items REALLY annoy me.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Not at a Dunham's, but at a Wal-Mart, I ran into a similar problem YEARS ago. This was after boot camp, while I was in my MOS school. I stopped by Wally World to pick up some .22LR for my father's Ruger MK II we were going to shoot that day, along with various other rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I was 18. Keep in mind, I had just gotten back from combat training where I shot automatic grenade launchers for crying out loud!

Clerk: "Are these for a pistol or rifle?"
    Me: "Pistol."
    Clerk: "I'm sorry, you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammunition."
    Me: "It's for a rifle, then."
    *Clerk looks at me funny and grunts*
    Clerk: "Fine."

Rang me up, and that was that. Retailers that want to come up with their own stupid policies regarding ammunition and other similar items REALLY annoy me.
    Wally World also charges a 10% fee for pistol ammo. I haven't bought any there since they started doing that.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

It used to be that they kept the condoms locked behind the counter and the cigarettes in front. Now the cigarettes are behind the counter and the condoms are in front. Probably the same circle will happen with ammo someday.
    -------------
    Walther1

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of the ultimate CC gun!

Not an issue here in lower Mi, but their .45 LC is a bit pricey.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I wouldn't have bought the ammo and tore up the form course i dont shop dunhams usually prices to high

This Sounds...

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Wally World also charges a 10% fee for pistol ammo. I haven't bought any there since they started doing that.
    like a 'money' thing, not an 'insurance' thing...

I'd pay MORE to shop elsewhere...it's the principle involved here!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The sporting goods shops around here are not all that bad. Wal-Mart has the better prices on the more common stuff, but I have an odd-ball caliber that I have needed to hit gun stores in the past for to get, and even at that it was hit or miss. Now there is a nice box sports store near me that actually stocks the stuff that I need (want).

As for defensive stuff, I am still looking for an outlet that isn't terribly proud of their ammo.

Here in MI they here selling UMC 9mm for $39 250rds. I picked up 500 rounds and the guy handed me both box's and said have a nice day. He did not ask to see anything.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    This part of VA is the same way, purple88yj. Plenty of somewhat overpriced WWB at wally world, but nothing that wouldn't be considered a major caliber. There are a few gun shops in the adjoining counties that stock some truly oddball stuff, and I've even found one that manages to sell a good variety of defensive ammunition at reasonable prices - but their guns are all 105% of MSRP. Go figure.

Dunhams ammo policy

I don't shop at Dunhams here in the Detroit area since Dicks' Sporting Goods opened up. Dunhams is nothing but a clothing store anymore I have bought a lot of ammo at Dicks', and their pricing can't be beat. $6.98/box for Rem 9mm, 115 FMJ by the case of 500 rounds. No stupid store policies either.

one of the reasons i reload.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links