Indiana firearms on school property

This is a discussion on Indiana firearms on school property within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this. I live in Indiana and under Indiana Code IC35-47-9, it allows "a person" to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stylus

Thread: Indiana firearms on school property

Indiana firearms on school property

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this. I live in Indiana and under Indiana Code IC35-47-9, it allows "a person" to request authorization from a school board to be allowed to carry a firearm onto school property. I have contacted our local school administrator and he has allowed me a private initial meeting with the board for me to be allowed to conceal carry into my children's school. What am I overlooking here? I would appreciate anyone's input on this. Please understand that I am not a teacher, I am a parent.

2. Remove Ads

Indiana firearms allowed on school property

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this. I have a license to carry a firearm in Indiana. Under Indiana Code IC35-47-9, it allows "a person" to request authorization from a school board to be allowed to carry a firearm onto school property. I have contacted our local school administrator and he has allowed me a private initial meeting with the board for me to be allowed to conceal carry into my children's school. What am I overlooking here? I would appreciate anyone's input on this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flippie46 View Post
    I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this. I have a license to carry a firearm in Indiana. Under Indiana Code IC35-47-9, it allows "a person" to request authorization from a school board to be allowed to carry a firearm onto school property. I have contacted our local school administrator and he has allowed me a private initial meeting with the board for me to be allowed to conceal carry into my children's school. What am I overlooking here? I would appreciate anyone's input on this.
    Read this:
    News ? Tactical Defense Institute - Tactical, Firearms Training, pistol, rifle, shotgun
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

thanks mike1956, it was a good read and I might take that with me to the meeting. I want it to be clear that I am not a teacher. I am a parent that is very concerned because our school has no safety plan in place other than "lock down'. I have taken training and am very familiar with firearms. My ultimate goal would be for them to allow trained teachers to carry at school.

VIP Member
    thanks mike1956, it was a good read and I might take that with me to the meeting. I want it to be clear that I am not a teacher. I am a parent that is very concerned because our school has no safety plan in place other than "lock down'. I have taken training and am very familiar with firearms. My ultimate goal would be for them to allow trained teachers to carry at school.
    John, whose article I linked, is passionate on this topic. Give him a call.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I believe here in Texas that the school official can set that law as they see fit.

thanks seanth468, I guess I will find out this week. It's just that I could not find out anything on the internet about this law for Indiana. Our schools lack so much common sense when it comes to gun issues and protecting our kids. I figure they will have some "policy" reason for why they won't give me permission. I just didn't know if they had the constitutional right to deny me under my civil rights.

I will call him and I guess I will find out this week about the school board's ruling. It's just that I could not find out anything on the internet about this law for Indiana. Our schools lack so much common sense when it comes to gun issues and protecting our kids. I figure they will have some "policy" reason for why they won't give me permission. I just didn't know if they had the constitutional right to deny me under my civil rights.

............then you already know you can have your legally possessed firearm on school property if it stay's in your vehicle.
    The easy way is always mined.

Ex Member
    I will NOT walk in school with one but before getting out I just throw it in the glove box.

I do realize this, but my fear is that this law does not apply to any other events at school. Meetings, ballgames, etc... I believe that these misguided kids that decide to kill others will up the bar to events that have an easier target in the form of mass populations.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    the worst they can do is tell you no. if you get permission to carry then good for you, at least your school has the right to decide.

well second thought, i read over your Indiana Code 35-47-9, looks like you could obtain permission for now, but there is a new section being implemented on 7/1/2014 that will not allow it and that will become a felony.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

squid86, could you please send me a link of where you found the new code?
    thanks

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this. I live in Indiana and under Indiana Code IC35-47-9, it allows "a person" to request authorization from a school board to be allowed to carry a firearm onto school property. I have contacted our local school administrator and he has allowed me a private initial meeting with the board for me to be allowed to conceal carry into my children's school. What am I overlooking here? I would appreciate anyone's input on this. Please understand that I am not a teacher, I am a parent.
    That law is pretty straight forward. Ask, and they either grant or deny.

If I were you I would keep it short and sweet, sell yourself well. Cite how long you've lived in the area if it's a long time, not your clean criminal record, any community involvements, military service....basically show them that you're an upstanding citizen.

Most importantly, if they refuse you, remain respectful. Don't burn this bridge. You can try again later.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links