Getting people on-board with citizen carry: highway signs, PSA's and other ideas

Getting people on-board with citizen carry: highway signs, PSA's and other ideas

This is a discussion on Getting people on-board with citizen carry: highway signs, PSA's and other ideas within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; @ GunsSaveLife.com , they've got an interesting idea for informing passersby of the benefits of an armed citizenry and the evils of gun control: highway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Getting people on-board with citizen carry: highway signs, PSA's and other ideas

Thumbs up Getting people on-board with citizen carry: highway signs, PSA's and other ideas

@ GunsSaveLife.com, they've got an interesting idea for informing passersby of the benefits of an armed citizenry and the evils of gun control: highway signs, a la the old Burma Shave signs.

The first set of signs erected by the CCRA went up on I-74 east of Urbana, Illinois in the spring of 1998. The first set, consisting of three signs, proclaimed the simple truth, GUN CONTROL DISARMS VICTIMS NOT CRIMINALS.

Local 9-1-1 coordinators hate our DIALED 9-1-1 AND IM ON HOLD SURE WISH I HAD THAT GUN I SOLD slogan and are quite vocal in their opinions.

<snip>

Got any more ideas about communicating a simple, clear message to the fence-sitters and anti-gunners, messages that can help the cause and help turn the hardened hearts and minds? Such as, simple 10-second spots on television and radio, framed as Public Service Announcements? Or, stickers/flyers/banners for certain events or venues? Other ideas?

One rule for the discussion, if we can: Let's keep this thread on target with idea generation and kicking around the concepts related to that. Let's avoid wrangling over the 2A politics (which we can leave to other discussions elsewhere).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Crime Control
    Not Gun Control
    Be the Solution
    Not the Problem

Victim Options:
    * Carry A Cop
    * Dial-A-Prayer (911)
    * Hope They Leave
    * Or, Be Armed
    Pick One

Home Invasion
    Despite The Lock
    Grabbed a Flashlight
    And My Glock.
    Had The Means
    To Survive The Day
    Instead Of Doing
    Whatever They Say.
    ARMED CITIZENS SAVE LIVES

Crimes Occur
    Quite A Lot.
    Choose To Survive It
    Or Not.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Gun Control
    Strips Us All
    Of Our Means
    To Stand At All
    When Crime Finds Us

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    @ GunsSaveLife.com, they've got an interesting idea for informing passersby of the benefits of an armed citizenry and the evils of gun control: highway signs, a la the old Burma Shave signs.

The first set of signs erected by the CCRA went up on I-74 east of Urbana, Illinois in the spring of 1998. The first set, consisting of three signs, proclaimed the simple truth, “GUN CONTROL — DISARMS VICTIMS — NOT CRIMINALS”.

Local 9-1-1 coordinators hate our “DIALED 9-1-1 – AND I’M ON HOLD – SURE WISH I HAD – THAT GUN I SOLD” slogan and are quite vocal in their opinions.

<snip>

Got any more ideas about communicating a simple, clear message to the fence-sitters and anti-gunners, messages that can help the cause and help turn the hardened hearts and minds? Such as, simple 10-second spots on television and radio, framed as Public Service Announcements? Or, stickers/flyers/banners for certain events or venues? Other ideas?

One rule for the discussion, if we can: Let's keep this thread on target with idea generation and kicking around the concepts related to that. Let's avoid wrangling over the 2A politics (which we can leave to other discussions elsewhere).
    On first reading this, I thought this was a great idea. But then, to learn more about how Burma Shave signs were used, I looked online and found this:
    "This use of a series of small signs, each of which bore part of a commercial message, was a successful approach to highway advertising during the early years of highway travel, drawing the attention of passing motorists who were curious to learn the punchline. As the Interstate system expanded in the late 1950s and vehicle speeds increased, it became more difficult to attract motorists' attention with small signs."

If that's true (and I don't see why it would not be), then small signs might be too difficult to read at highway speed...how big are those first signs you mention on I-74?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    These two are great! I'd recommend changing the first one to some fair approximation of a normal EDCer's reaction time, and not an expression of the destructive potential of the gun. It's a bit "too pro-violence" to me. It can really be something like, "It takes 20 seconds to realize you're in a situation where a gun can deter crime, and 2 seconds to draw". Or, whatever. The contrast with 23 minutes is what's important.

I find the "a policeman is too heavy" hilarious.

I think that a few different "zingers" along a certain meme, spread over a few billboards would be most useful.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    Matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to a DwB (MSF) donation seems poetic to me.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible with this (simple) discovery. Tell the kids about this and "type III levers"! It's an untapped technology...

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post
    On first reading this, I thought this was a great idea. But then, to learn more about how Burma Shave signs were used, I looked online and found this:
    "This use of a series of small signs, each of which bore part of a commercial message, was a successful approach to highway advertising during the early years of highway travel, drawing the attention of passing motorists who were curious to learn the punchline. As the Interstate system expanded in the late 1950s and vehicle speeds increased, it became more difficult to attract motorists' attention with small signs."

If that's true (and I don't see why it would not be), then small signs might be too difficult to read at highway speed...how big are those first signs you mention on I-74?
    If you go to the guns save life web site, you will see that they are very specific as to the size of text, and the spacing of the signs.... the are quite readable... ad in my estimation, perhaps a little too widely spaced... but they do give a comfortable 2 second read time for each sign...
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A Bad Guy
    Should Not Be
    The Only One
    With A Gun

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post

They're easy to read while driving unless the brush starts to grow up around them. They usually do a good job with the brush but sometimes it does get a little difficult to control.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    And just think, they probably won't get a bunch of bullet holes through them.

Thrown vegetables maybe?
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Since everyone is super sensitive to racism in this day and age, throw the heller decision back at them

The Heller Decision stated, "there are reasonable limits to the 2nd Amendment. Funny. In the 1800's the Supreme Court also stated that Slavery was constitutional because blacks were an inferior race with the Dread Scott Decision.
    That will definitely ruffle their feathers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

The first set of signs erected by the CCRA went up on I-74 east of Urbana, Illinois in the spring of 1998. The first set, consisting of three signs, proclaimed the simple truth, GUN CONTROL DISARMS VICTIMS NOT CRIMINALS.

Local 9-1-1 coordinators hate our DIALED 9-1-1 AND IM ON HOLD SURE WISH I HAD THAT GUN I SOLD slogan and are quite vocal in their opinions.

<snip>

gatorbait51 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

i've noticed similar signs in Nevada. not Pro-Rights signs, but the multiple Burma Shave-style signs and they work, even at 80MPH.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

I think this is an effective approach people who own and carry are far less likely to buy into the Bravo Sierra!

How about this one from the Memphis Police Association?
    MemphisBillBoard.jpg
    StormRhydr and ccw9mm like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links