How far would you go to defend the Second..?

This is a discussion on How far would you go to defend the Second..? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh, we all say (most of us, anyway), "From my cold, dead hands!" But what about your pocket, your pocketbook, or your wallet? How about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: How far would you go to defend the Second..?

Oh, we all say (most of us, anyway), "From my cold, dead hands!"

But what about your pocket, your pocketbook, or your wallet? How about selling a gun to defend gun rights?

Here's one Connecticut gun store owners answer... He's got a $100,000.00 gun on Gun Broker.com... Once touted as the world's most expensive gun...

S.S. engraved in gold, ivory and scrimshaw handles...

Would you put some money were your mouth is? To that extent? Just to fight State laws... in your state?

Frankly, I hope he's successful, and parlays the 100K into a good legislative fight in CT. With matching funds from each of NRA and GOA, SAF and all the rest...

Story here
    Badey and gatorbait51 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

One thiing i do know.If someone takes a gun from my cold dead hands,a criminal shot me..I love firearms but i love living and breathing way more..If i was alone and had no life then maybe..That said,until someone tries to go against the 2a in my state,i can't say for sure what i would or wouldn't do. I would do what i could legally anyway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I've donated to the cause to the point that I can't financially do it any more. The only thing left for me to prove myself would be to join the revolution.
    gatorbait51 and emawildcat like this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    How far?

The question is a matter of degree on a personal level.

I've found when most people are attacked be it physical, emotional or mental, their initial response is NOT to fight back; but back off in proportion to the level of the attack.
    If the attacks are frequent enough and of approx the same level, eventually the victim becomes anesthetized until the final blow is
    not seen coming.

For those with ears to hear; hear.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There may come a time when the action to keep it would need to be equal to the action it took to get it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I engage in education with people inside my sphere of influence daily, give presentations, join people up in the NRA and pay for their memberships, and take new people to the range and help them discover what it's all about. I also contribute funds to the entities influencing legislative issues and I write my political representatives on a State and Federal level regularly. I don't have a $100K gun to sell, but I do everything I can with what I have every day because it is important to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

For the record. I will fight to keep what's mine and my right to defend my family. That's about as far as I'll go on a public forum.
    Lee 1973, mg27, Aceoky and 3 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

His heart's in the right place, but IMHO it's the wrong approach. What he should really do is pick up his business and move. Every day a person continues to work in a state that doesn't respect his rights, he's helping to fund his own oppression through his taxes. I'm sure he's paid a lot more than $100,000 over the years to the government he's now trying to fight.

If he doesn't want to move, another option would be to retire.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Good angle OP. I honestly have bills, debt to pay, a family to provide for, retirement to think about and a child to put thru college. So I'll donate whatever I can above and beyond my NRA lifetime membership dues but there's no way I can just pony up my life savings for any cause.

It's almost easier to take up arms and fight back against a tyrannical government because I'll have nothing to lose at that point. In peacetime, I'll do what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I do what I can. That pretty much consists of donating money to organizations that have a way longer reach and louder voice than I do. I educate those around me and take them shooting. I also write (e-mail and snail mail) and call my representatives regularly. I hope it never gets to the point where I and others have to go beyond these measures.

Kudos to this guy for staying and fighting for change. IMO, if everybody just up and moves, eventually there won't be any free states left to move to.
    mg27 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I do exactly what I swore to do and that is to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States. Now does that mean I get to decide what is Constitutional or not? Nope, that is for the courts. Do I get to write my own laws? No that is Congress. I fight within the laws and and boundaries of the Constitution because that is what I swore to do. If I step outside of the Constitution to fight for what I believe the Constitution says, I am no longer honoring that oath.
    Hopyard, Sig 210 and NightOwl76 like this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    III%

If you plan to take my gun from my cold, dead hands, be careful. The barrel is going to be a little hot.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    How far??,as far as it takes as I don`t "Baa" very well.
    Ghost1958, mg27, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I'm more of an original, factory unmodified collector, and don't really go for the engraved/inlaid guns, but it really is a beautiful piece. I like the dead guy battling the grizzly on the grip.

Smith & Wesson 629 First Ever Made SS 44 MAG 6" : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I guess I'm just remembering a long time ago when a few guys got together and pledged their Lives , their Fortunes, and their Sacred Honor...

Not to be taken lightly...

Don't know how many bills they had to pay, or what other financial futures they had to protect, or what progeny to educate... But they claimed to put it all on the line to live free.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links