Hard to believe

This is a discussion on Hard to believe within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From experience- hope that doc doesn't expect expedient service if she needs 911. I, myself, have discovered a LifePak, TU, requiring 10-7....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard to believe

From experience- hope that doc doesn't expect expedient service if she needs 911. I, myself, have discovered a LifePak, TU, requiring 10-7.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broskisr View Post
    LAKELAND - A dispute between a Lakeland Police Department lieutenant and his former doctor has led to a new Watson Clinic policy:

Unless law enforcement officers are on official business, the clinic doesn't want guns carried into any of its buildings. Officers who aren't there in that capacity are requested to store their firearms in their vehicles for safekeeping.

This kind of willfull stupidity makes me wish that the idiots in charge of making this decision find themselves crime victims and no one is around to help them, or worse, that the cops are around but they've left their guns in the car.

*** is wrong with these people?! What do they fear from a COP having his gun with him in the doctor's office?

And how dumb are they that they consider leaving a gun in a car to be "SAFEKEEPING"?!

These are the kinds of people who we're justified in not caring about, folks. They are the kind who keep themselves stupid, who refuse to think rationally about a subject. On-duty cops, off-duty cops, why would they discriminate between them and demand that off-duty cops leave their guns behind? Do they really want to NOT have the protection that a police officer may be worth if something bad happens in the clinic?

As you said, what is wrong with people?!: now they are disarming law enforcement!

And what is the point of making this a blanket policy? The doctor (allegedly) had this problem with ONE guy! Now they treat it as though NO cops should be carrying guns to the doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    From experience- hope that doc doesn't expect expedient service if she needs 911. I, myself, have discovered a LifePak, TU, requiring 10-7.

I understand the first part; what does the second part mean?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I understand the first part; what does the second part mean?
    LifePak makes defibrillators, "TU", is T**sUp, and "10-7" is out of service. IOW, you discover that you didn't get charged batteries at the start of shift, or they didn't hold enough charge to get through shift- meaning that you are no longer an Advanced Life Support unit, and so you have to go back to base. Certainly an event you do your absolute best to avoid, but...........

It points to the real agenda and point this out to any anti-cop you know. After they finish disarming the citizens of this country they Will go after law enforcement. This is not the firs place that cops have been told they can only carry on duty.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Watson Clinic employe's hundreds of doctors in this area. That said, The local hospital has most of these doctors on rotation, I would say that 99% of the time if you had to go to Lakeland Reginal Med Center chances are you will get a doctor from Watson Clinic. So in this area its hard to avoid them. I have been in the emergency room several times and my bill has had Watson Clinic at the top.
    The new anti-gun rule for this place tells me that most of the doctors are anti gun (at least at Watson Clinic).

Once again, in Florida, the company's policy does not carry the force of LAW, unless you are told to leave in front of a cop and he witnesses you refusing to do so. Then it's trespassing. Until then, though, all you're doing is failing to comply with a "store policy," like if you wore a t-shirt to a place with a jacket-and-tie dress code.

If you don't want to have to disarm in order to go to this medical clinic, don't let your gun show. "Concealed is concealed," right? Carry in a fanny pack or something when you go, and switch back to your normal carry mode when you leave. Just because they're paranoid idiots, does that mean you should have to be defenseless, or should have to leave your gun in the car where it can be stolen in a vehicle burglary?

Hospitals and most medical facilities are off limits in Fl anyway . Any facility or portion of a facility the may provide a mental health service is off limits and a felony to carry a dangerous weapon anywhere on the grounds , And yes that even means the parking lot . It could be argued that any of these places offer mental health services . If you dont believe me . Just check Attorney Jon Gutmacher website (author of the Florida use and firearm book) , He has all the specifics on his site . There is a case being tried in south Florida right now . A gentlemen was arrested for concealed carry while visiting a hospital , And it is FELONY !!!!

If you have carried at a doctors office/hospital in Fl(as i have)you may have commited a felony !!!!!

Gutmachers site - http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/faq008.shtml
    Last edited by speedlinehobbies; December 20th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

VIP Member
    This would be an example of when to leave your gun & not take it with you to the doctor's office:

"Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment"
    http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092

The only time I would not take my weapon, would be if it would be out of my control for any length of time. If I'm in for a checkup or shot, I'll take it.....If I'm undergoing anesthesia or an MRI, I'll leave it home.

At the time the weapon discharged, it was reportedly in a cocked and locked position; that is, the hammer was cocked and the thumb safety was engaged to prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin. A live round was in the chamber. (Many people who choose this weapon for personal protection will carry it in this manner because it allows them to quickly fire the weapon if needed.)

When the firearm was removed from the magnet, the gun was still in a cocked and locked position. An empty cartridge was found in the chamber. The presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber is highly unusual. If the thumb safety were not engaged and the weapon fired normally by depressing the trigger, the normal backward recoil of the slide should have automatically ejected the empty cartridge, and a new live round should have automatically been chambered. As discussed earlier, the thumb safety performs two functions: it prevents the sear from releasing the hammer, thereby preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin; it also locks the slide in place, preventing retrograde motion of the slide and automatic ejection of the empty cartridge. Thus, the presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber confirms that the thumb safety was engaged at the time the gun was fired. Given that the thumb safety was engaged when the gun discharged, it is also likely that the normal trigger and hammer mechanism of firing the gun was bypassed because the thumb safety would have also prevented release of the hammer.

The gun likely discharged as a result of the effect of the magnetic field on the firing pin block. The firing pin block was probably drawn into its uppermost position by force of the magnetic field. The firing pin block has to overcome only light pressure from a relatively small spring to release the firing pin. The pistol was likely drawn into the magnetic field so that the muzzle struck the magnet's bore first. With the firing pin allowed to move freely in its channel, the force of the impact on the muzzle end was sufficient to cause the firing pin to overcome its spring pressure and move forward to strike the primer of the chambered round.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This would be an example of when to leave your gun & not take it with you to the doctor's office:

"Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment"
    http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092

The only time I would not take my weapon, would be if it would be out of my control for any length of time. If I'm in for a checkup or shot, I'll take it.....If I'm undergoing anesthesia or an MRI, I'll leave it home.
    That's a crazy story. Thanks for that link.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Sounds pretty stupid and uninformed to me. Steve48

You have to have some respect for the doctor. It probably was a small examining room and I know I get worried all the time having my gun pointed at my kibbles and bits all day!!!
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Doctors are just hired-help. You are the customer. Fire the stupid ________ (you fill in the blank).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

said she felt "very uncomfortable and unsafe to maneuver in such small desk space with a gun in front of me."
    Yeah, She thought the gun was going to jump up off the table and bite her in the @r$e! Stupid people! Once again I feel the need to refer to Bill Engvall (a great comedian).
    Stupid people should have to wear signs that just say, "I'm Stupid". That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you? You wouldn't ask them anything. It would be like, "Excuse me...oops, never mind. I didn't see your sign."
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    You have to have some respect for the doctor. It probably was a small examining room and I know I get worried all the time having my gun pointed at my kibbles and bits all day!!!
    i go along with that if:
    a) she said something Then and There, instead of complaining in a fashion that makes it seem retaliatory for the officer inquiring as to why his test results were taking over a month to return.

b)she tried to institute policy change to the effect of disarming patients without using character assassination,.

the timeline makes it pretty obvious she has no respect for persons serving in the LE field, and i'd go so far as to say no respect for anyone dealing with weapons in general. this is fairly common amongst some healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, exceptions to the rule, im sure, but still a fair share of them). theyre into fixing people, and dont see that sometimes, saving lives can mean using PREVENTATIVE measures outside the scope of drugs and excercise...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links