Hard to believe

Hard to believe

This is a discussion on Hard to believe within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Published Sunday, December 17, 2006 WATSON CLINIC Dispute Over Gun Leads to New Policy Doctor complained after Lakeland police officer brought firearm to exam. By ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard to believe

Hard to believe

Published Sunday, December 17, 2006
    WATSON CLINIC

Dispute Over Gun Leads to New Policy
    Doctor complained after Lakeland police officer brought firearm to exam.

By Robin Williams Adams
    The Ledger

LAKELAND - A dispute between a Lakeland Police Department lieutenant and his former doctor has led to a new Watson Clinic policy:

Unless law enforcement officers are on official business, the clinic doesn't want guns carried into any of its buildings. Officers who aren't there in that capacity are requested to store their firearms in their vehicles for safekeeping.

As far as anyone else is concerned - clinic guest or clinic employee - guns aren't an option.

The safety and security manager will be contacted immediately if there's a "reasonable suspicion" someone who shouldn't be carrying a gun has one there. Patients who refuse to comply with that policy will be discharged from the clinic.

"We can live with it," Jack Gillen, LPD's public information officer, said about the policy.

He said he doesn't expect the policy to cause difficulties, although he said LPD won't force officers who aren't in uniform to comply.

"That would be the officer's decision," Gillen said.

The clinic didn't previously have a gun policy because no one saw a need for one, spokeswoman Nancy Martinez said.

Having a gun at the clinic became an issue this summer after Lt. R. L. Schrader, in his 17th year with LPD, had an early morning appointment with Dr. Mariana Fernandez, his primary care doctor, on July 31. He removed his sidearm, handcuff case and shield, placing them on a desk or counter in the examination room, near where he was seated, according to an investigative report by LPD Capt. William Harrison.

Fernandez didn't say anything during the exam but, in a citizen's complaint to LPD, said she felt "very uncomfortable and unsafe to maneuver in such small desk space with a gun in front of me."

In mid-August, she said, Schrader became upset during a telephone conversation because test results weren't ready. That conversation prompted her complaint, according to Harrison's report.

She filed her complaint with LPD on Aug. 17. And, in an unsigned letter from the clinic, Schrader said he learned she was dropping him as a patient because of "stress between doctor and patient." In her complaint, Fernandez said she felt "This patient has disrespect for me as a professional and abused his position as a law enforcement officer."

Harrison, however, decided Schrader "conducted himself in a professional manner and his behavior did not rise to the level commensurable for disciplinary action."

Harrison's report is dated Dec. 8, almost four months after the complaint.

A large part of the delay, Gillen said, was difficulty in talking with a nurse who worked with Fernandez.

Although Harrison talked to Fernandez on Sept. 1, he wasn't able to interview the nurse until Nov. 2.

In her complaint, Fernandez said Schrader told the nurse, Chris Larson, that he took his gun off "to intimidate me and see if I would loosen up a little because I am too serious."

Schrader, responding to the complaint, called that statement a "blatant lie." He said he was "extremely upset that a person who claims to be a professional would assassinate my character by making up such a serious charge."

He said the "loosen up" comment came from the nurse, who he said "would continually ask me how the doctor was because she said Fernandez needed to loosen up."

"I did not have disrespect for her prior to this character assassination," he said in an Aug. 29 response to the complaint. "I treated her with the respect deserved from one professional to another."

Harrison said the nurse attributed the situation to "a simple breakdown in communications."

Larson told him that "demanding schedules, cultural differences and intense personalities can create stressful conditions where miscommunication can flourish," Harrison said.

When he spoke to Fernandez, Harrison said, she said she wasn't interested in creating problems for Schrader since she had achieved her main goal of having him transferred to another doctor.

Physicians have the right to discontinue a patient-physician relationship if something within it isn't working, just as patients do, and the clinic has defined practices for both, Martinez said.

If a doctor dismisses a patient, she said, a standard letter is sent to ensure the patient can receive emergency care for 30 days and also informs the patient on switching to another clinic doctor, obtaining a doctor outside of the clinic and transferring medical records to a new provider if outside of the clinic. She said there isn't a charge for records going directly to an outside physician.

Schrader said he is content with Harrison's report, but that he isn't pleased with how Watson Clinic acted.

Although Fernandez said the clinic would help him find another Watson Clinic physician, Schrader said, he decided to get an opinion from one outside of the clinic.

"It soured me terribly," he said in a telephone interview. "I really shouldn't let it, but it has."

http://www.lakelandledger.com/apps/p...612170410/1134

What is wrong with people? Now they are disarming the Law Enforcement.

Assistant Administrator
    How to comment politely .... hmmm ............. nope, no polite words come to mind
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Shheeeees...........Sheeple! I'd want to change Doctors after that POS.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I hope no one in law enforcement or the armed citizenry goes to that doctor's group ever again.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    It's really sad!

I think we started to "lose" when guns became "instruments of death" instead of just the tools they are. We have to get the "people" back into thinking of a gun as just as much of a tool as a hammer or saw before we're really back in the plus column again!

(Wow, who kicked that soapbox over here? )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would quickly tell them what i thought about the whole situation and that i would be telling all of my gun carrying friends and that they would be finding new doctor's as well, your not the only game in town doc.. I would also tell them i would be posting their new rules on the internet.

VIP Member
    I bet more people under this 'physician's' care have died, then people have died from that LEOs gun.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Not Just Anti...

But also a two-faced, spineless, coward. She should have said something to the cop's face. Instead, she write a letter after the fact?

I hope she doesn't ever call on a cop when she needs help. If I were a cop and she called me, I would respond with a 'letter' to the BG begging him to 'stop being bad'.

Sometimes arrogance and stupidity 'dance' together!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    This doctor needs to see a doctor...must be suffering from Hoplaphobia.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If this Doctor really cared, they would refuse to treat people who drive vehicles to the clinic since so many more people die in vehicle accidents than from guns... oh, and don't forget to quit treating people who ask for a glass of water at the clinic since there are more deaths due to drowning every year than from guns... I mean if we are going for safety, lets go for safety!
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Ya know... the officer had every right to get upset, too. His appointment was on July 17th and his test results weren't ready a month later...

Well, what if it was a biopsy? Blood test to determine a possible deadly condition?

He had every right to get upset with her and I concur, with the others. Her response was incredibly immature.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Goes to show there are dumb educated sheep.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hm ... gettin' the x-ray machine in a twist. Goes to show that ignorance and vindictiveness crosses educational and professional boundaries. No surprise, there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    (A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
    (B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
    (C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
    (A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
    Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
    (C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
    Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I was hopeing someone would post those stats, I had seen them before but couldn't remember where.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links