Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation - Updated Post #21

This is a discussion on Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation - Updated Post #21 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This time of the year is insane for us, the laws roll in almost as fast as we can check them and it normally doesn't ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation - Updated Post #21

Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation - Updated Post #21

This time of the year is insane for us, the laws roll in almost as fast as we can check them and it normally doesn't get better until some time in February.

There's no way I can list all the laws in their own thread and to be honest it would be pretty rude to try and do it so I will hit the 'highlights' of what has come in some far this year.

I wont link to them all either as that would be rude too you can find all of these under the Proposed State Legislation menu item on the site by clicking on the appropriate state name. BTW, we are also testing out a new 'thumbs up or down' rating system on the site.

These are not in any order BTW, sorry!

Virginia:

HB535 would require background checks at gun shows by any vendor.

SB279 would provide an exception for concealed handgun permits for 'qualifying retired member of the enforcement division of the Department of Motor Vehicles'

SB287 would make it a class 6 felony to transfer a firearm to a person that is prohibited if the seller does not peform a background check.

HB448 creates a means of reporting to the state police when a felon's firearm rights are restored.

SB520 would make it a class 2 felony for anyone that 'is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not a licensed dealer.'

HB878 requires LEO to certify NFA applications within 15 days provided the applying person is not prohibited.

Oklahoma: SB1264, SB1266, HB2351

Take the time to read HB2351 - they should call this bill the 'taking stupidity out of schools' bill

Missouri bill SB656 removes the language that requires firing a revolver and semiautomatic pistol for live fire requirements for a concealed carry license. The AND would be replaced by either.

Florida

H0523 allows tax collectors to issue concealed permits, while H0525 makes ALL concealed weapons application information confidential.

Indiana

SB0045 would add a mandatory 8 hours of training for anyone applying for a license to carry after December 31, 2014

SB0169 sets penalties for anyone 'to provide an individual with a firearm if the person knows or has reason to believe that the individual: (1) is legally barred from possessing a firearm due to the commission of a crime; or (2) intends to use the firearm to commit a crime.'

HB1018 sets up preemption laws for firearms carried on state property.

HB1017 would provide immunity from civil liability for damages 'if the other person's use of force was a valid exercise of the other person's right to self-defense.'

Colorado

HB1041 appears to allow anyone over 21 to carry a concealed weapon without a permit as long as they follow the same guidelines and restrictions a permit holder would and they are not prohibited.

SB038 would eliminate the governor's ability to 'restrict the distribution of firearms during a state of emergency.

New Mexico

HB44 has been introduced, requiring background checks on all firearms sold at gun shows except 'relics' (C&R firearms)

Missouri

SB491,SB613, HB1164, SB548, HB1129, SB556.

Most notable (bad) is SB556 which requires reporting of lost or stolen firearms ... the language in 319.515 'owner should have been aware' is dangerous at best.

On the positive side HB1164 would drop the minimum age for a carry permit from 21 to 19

SB549 attempts to set up rules for 'failing to stop illegal possession'

SB565 is the old 'lost and stolen' and again contains language such as 'should have know' in relation to a lost or stolen firearm.

Mississippi

HB64 would allow school districts to appoint certain employees authorization to carry concealed weapons on campus.

HB139 would prohibit cities and municipalities from running gun buy back programs.

West Virginia

SB199 outlines the right of private property owners to prohibit carrying of firearms on their property.

SB298 clarifies the distinction between hunters and shooters in the field. It would allow shooters who are in possession of a firearm in or near the woods to not have to possess a valid hunting license.

SB80 changes the laws about carrying a weapon on the capitol complex.

There are of course more but those are the highlights. At this point we are pulling close to 100 new gun law bills a day so make sure to check back often.
    Last edited by dcdalton; January 10th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    "Colorado

HB1041 appears to allow anyone over 21 to carry a concealed weapon without a permit as long as they follow the same guidelines and restrictions a permit holder would and they are not prohibited. "

...say what?! well, if this goes through i may just have to start loving my state again. YAY!

We seriously need to get the .gov out of our 2nd Amendment Rights. Lose the silly permits, regulations, infringements, etc.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    "Colorado

HB1041 appears to allow anyone over 21 to carry a concealed weapon without a permit as long as they follow the same guidelines and restrictions a permit holder would and they are not prohibited. "

...say what?! well, if this goes through i may just have to start loving my state again. YAY!
    You're response seriously made me laugh my butt off.
    An Informed Gun Owner Is An Anti-Gunners Worst Nightmare - Stay Informed @ American Gun Owners Alliance

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida

H0523 allows tax collectors to issue concealed permits, while H0525 makes ALL concealed weapons application information confidential.

Per 790.601, all personal info is already confidential.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Kentucky

BR86 would exempt firearms from Sales Tax.

Ex Member
    Hear that sound?????????? THAT sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The silence from the anti's on this site is DEAFENING. Probably had to check back in with those PAYING THEM TO BE HERE to see how they should respond.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Florida

Per 790.601, all personal info is already confidential.
    Pretty sure that is in reference to the tax collectors being able to issue them

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    "Colorado

Agreed! We'll have to keep an eye on this one!

HB1041 appears to allow anyone over 21 to carry a concealed weapon without a permit as long as they follow the same guidelines and restrictions a permit holder would and they are not prohibited.
    Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture...but that sounds an awful lot like Colorado looking to become #6 of the constitutional carry states.
    Kavalander and DanielC like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Hear that sound?????????? THAT sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The silence from the anti's on this site is DEAFENING. Probably had to check back in with those PAYING THEM TO BE HERE to see how they should respond.
    i just laughed so hard i may have peed a little....
    lionround and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Can't speak to other states, but there's a snowballs chance in H-E-double hockey sticks that anti-2ndA legislation gets passed in our 24-10 conservative dominated Senate, and our 113-50 House.
    Missouri is a G-U-N state. You need to dig a little deeper.

SB491 - I find nothing relating to firearms in this bill. This is a crime bill creating new classes of felonies and misdemeanors but not relating to guns.

SB613 - An antifederalist bill making clear that this state will not allow the Federal government to infringe on our 2nd Amendment Rights. It doesn't get any more pro 2ndA than this...READ IT: http://www.senate.mo.gov/14info/pdf-...ntro/SB613.pdf

SB548 - Single sponsor by in inner city Senator that will go nowhere.

SB556 - Same Senator, same outcome

HB1129 - Changes the legal age to carry from 21 to 19, hardly "anti-gun", and coming from Chuck Gatschenberger, from Lake St. Louis, where progressives fear to tread...like those semi-rural, hobby farmers are going to elect ANYONE who would limit their liberties!

HB1164 - The "Missouri Firearms Freedom Act" states that a firearm, firearm accessory, or ammunition manufactured in and possessed within state borders and stamped "Made in Missouri" is subject to NO federal regulation (we have some slamming guns being made here, including just about the ultimate precision AR (American Made Sporting And Competition Rifles | Rhino Arms)), and I'm sure they had a hand in this. Further, it allows first responders to carry without a permit. READ IT: http://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bil...df/HB1164I.pdf

So, three of those are very pro 2ndA, one of them doesn't apply, and the other two will go nowhere at all.

I'm not saying I completely agree with the bills that stick our finger in Uncle Sam's eye and tell him to go fornicate with himself, but I certainly like the sentiment!

There are allot of states you have to worry about. This is NOT one of them. If anything our liberties are expanding!
    Kavalander, Aceoky and Patti like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

For the Virginia folks (my former home), these three are VERY DISTURBING!!!!!!

HB535 would require background checks at gun shows by any vendor.

SB287 would make it a class 6 felony to transfer a firearm to a person that is prohibited if the seller does not peform a background check.

SB520 would make it a class 2 felony for anyone that 'is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not a licensed dealer.'

The third one essentially makes it illegal to do private sales / trades / gifts. A FELONY at that. I hope the Virginia contingency jumps all over this like stink on a monkey. I have a lot of friends and family up there and that would be hideous.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I love my state. Our state legislators only get together on odd number years. Nothing to see here, carry on.

The antis are gearing up here in Oregon for the session that begins in February.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links