Georgia state Legislative session begins today

Georgia state Legislative session begins today

This is a discussion on Georgia state Legislative session begins today within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those of you from Georgia, the Georgia Legislature begins their 2014 session today. From all accounts, it is going to be a shortened session ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Georgia state Legislative session begins today

Exclamation Georgia state Legislative session begins today

For those of you from Georgia, the Georgia Legislature begins their 2014 session today.

From all accounts, it is going to be a shortened session because its an election year for most. This means they will be working briskly on legislation and things could happen really fast.

A number of bills dealing with guns are still alive from the 2013 session. HB 512 Safe Carry Protection Act was the one that got the farthest last year.

SB 101 Firearms; regulate the sale, use and possession in this state is also alive and can be brought back up.

Be on your toes and ready to contact your representatives when these Bills come up.

A little background on what happened to gun legislation last session:

Campus Carry Rights Likely To Be on Legislative Agenda ? Peach Pundit

News Features: The Georgia Legislature's 2014 Session Preview | Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants

Sen. Bill Heath, representing parts of Paulding County, talks about the 2014 Legislative Preview in this letter to the editor. Sen. Bill Heath: 2014 Legislative Preview - Government - Dallas-Hiram, GA Patch
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

State lawmakers to consider letting college students carry guns

ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) Jan 14,2014-
    State lawmakers are back at work now, the Georgia legislature in session as of today. One law legislators will consider again this year is whether or not to allow guns on state college campuses.

Gun advocates say students should be able to protect themselves. But those against guns at school say it just creates more problems.

Robert Eager of the Students for Concealed Carry chapter at Georgia Tech thinks the bill has a good chance of passing into law this year. Eager said it's necessary because students are prime targets for criminals.

"Students are carrying expensive equipment to and from class and going to labs and the library late at night and are prime targets for criminals because they're unable to defend themselves," Eager said.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Pete63 like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

The AP is reporting:

No action to be taken on conference committee bill

AP Mobile - Home
    Senate Majority Whip Cecil Staton, R-Macon, and Rep. John Meadows, R-Calhoun, were both part of that committee and said Monday that no action would be taken on that conference committee bill. Instead, Meadows said he is working on new legislation that could be introduced as early as next week, with a focus on mental health issues.
    Looks like SB 101 is dead. So, it looks like they plan on filing a new bill and start with a clean slate.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and Pete63 like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

No Bill has been filed yet, but there is a whole lot of buzz as to what will be in it and what will not........................ It is looking like college campus carry by GWCL holders is off the table for this year.

Ga. lawmaker: Campus carry provision to be dropped

AP News : Ga. lawmaker: Campus carry provision to be dropped

The draft bill would remove churches and places of worship from a list of prohibited locations for those carrying guns and change certain provisions relating to government buildings. For churches, Meadows said it would be up to religious leaders to decide whether to allow or prohibit guns on their property.

He said guns would be prohibited from government buildings with a metal detector, but allowed under the discretion of a local sheriff's department for those without the enhanced security measures. The previous version did not include a role for sheriffs.

The draft bill would also create a process for which school systems would have the ability to arm employees who have passed a criminal background check and have a carry permit. Meadows said the bill would include a mandatory method of securing the weapon either in a holster on the employee or in a secured and locked safe that cannot be accessed by students.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

This Bill was filed last Thursday. This isn't the main gun bill for this session, but it is a good one.

HB 826
    Crimes and offenses; carrying weapons within certain school safety zones and at school functions; change provisions

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/...0132014/HB/826

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/138026.pdf
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

House Bill 807 introduced 01-23-2014

HB 807
    Fire department; firefighters may carry firearms while on duty with permission of their department

HB*807*2013-2014 Regular Session

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/137871.pdf
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Gun bill to be introduced in House

Gun bill to be introduced in House | www.wsbradio.com

Atlanta — House leaders are expected to roll out legislation later today expanding where guns can legally be carried in Georgia but it will not include college campuses........................................

But the bill would allow local school boards that cannot afford school resource officers to designate personnel to carry guns.

“That’s a local control and a cost issue,” says bill sponsor Rep. Rick Jasperse, (R-Jasper). “It gives the local school board the ability to determine who can, if they want them to, carry a weapon in their system and where.”

He tells WSB’s Sandra Parrish the measure also deals with those who unknowingly bring guns to the airport and creates a better reporting system to prevent the mentally ill from obtaining a gun.

The bill would also take churches and bars off the prohibited list and puts the decision in the hands of the church elders and bar owners.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Thanks for the updates. While I don't live in my home state of Georgia any longer, it's good to keep up with these things for when I visit friends and family.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

OK, HB 875 has been filed. It is not yet available here Georgia General Assembly yet.

Here is info on the bill from GeorgiaCarry.org

January 28, 2014

Dear GCO Member,

HB 875 has now been filed. There is no link currently available for you to look up the bill. We will inform you of the link when it becomes available for your perusal. This is a great bill and GCO strongly supports this bill.

The next step is for the House to read it on the floor of the House and assign it to a committee for a hearing. As soon as the bill is assigned to a committee, we will notify you to start making contact with your elected officials and the members of the committee and let them know you support this bill. We will also notify you of the committee hearing date as soon as we are notified of the hearing. Please understand that these meetings are often called on a moments notice and we have no control over that. We will notify you as soon as possible but we cannot guarantee that it will be in time for you to make arrangements to attend.

HB 875 is sponsored by State Representative, Rick Jasperse (R-11) and co-sponsored by State Representative and House Rules Committee Chairman, John Meadows (R-5).

As we have stated in the past and continue to state, please show your elected officials respect when contacting them in any manner. Threats of never voting for them get you nowhere very quickly and hurt, rather than help our cause.

====================

Here is what is in House Bill 875:

Churches / Bars

Removes churches and bars from the off limits list and treats them like every other piece of private property in GA in that the property owner has the right to eject a person from their property.

Government Buildings

Allows firearms in government buildings that are not restricted or screened by security personnel during the hours the building is open for business.

Public Housing

Require public housing to allow tenants to have firearms in their dwellings unless required by federal law or regulation.

Changes to school safety zones:

Licensed holder who is carrying on elementary school shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

Any licensed holder who violates post secondary school safety zone shall not be arrested but shall be fined not more than $100.00.

For a person who is not a license holder the penalty is not more than $10,000.00 and imprisonment for not less than 2 nor more than 10 years or both.

A duly authorized official of a school can authorize a person to carry a weapon in a school safety zone, at school function or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school

Allows local school system to allow teachers and administrators to carry in school safety zones and determine what training the school will require. Those selected to carry will remain unknown to the public.

Licensing:

Removes fingerprint requirement for license renewals

Provides for issuance of GWL to a person who is at least 18 years of age who has completed basic training in the armed forces and is either actively serving in the military or has been honorably discharged from the service.

Allows a person who has had his/her GWL revoked to be issued a GWL if the revocation was more than 3 years of the date of his or her application.

Restricts any person who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent to stand trial or who has been adjudicated not guilty by reason of insanity at the time of the crime

Allows GWL applicant the right to sue if they feel they are wrongfully denied a GWL and to recover their costs and reasonable attorney fees if they are the prevailing party.

Prohibits any person or entity from creating or maintaining a multijurisdictional data base of information regarding persons issued GWLs.

Airport Carry:

Codifies airport carry in non sterile areas. If a person knowingly enters airport screening with a weapon will be guilty of a misdemeanor unless it is with intent to commit a separate felony offense.

GWL When Carrying

Requires carrying of GWL when carrying a weapon or for exempt persons, proof they are exempt.

A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.

If a person is caught carrying a weapon without a GWL the fine in court will be $10 if GWL is produced and was valid at the time of the arrest.

Defense of self or others, shall be an absolute defense to any violation of off limits places.

State Preemption:

Preemption law more clearly defined in our favor. Includes firearms and other weapons. Clarifies that no agency, board, department, commission, or authority of this state other than the General Assembly, by rule or regulation shall regulate firearms or other weapons in any manner. Municipalities may still regulate whether or not you may discharge a weapon within their boundaries.

Gives the right of any person who has been aggrieved as a result of a violation of 16-11-173 may bring action to enforce this statute shall be entitled to equitable relief.

Mental Health:

Requires GA Courts to notify FBI if a person has had involuntary commitment to mental institution, been adjudicated mentally incompetent to stand trial or has been found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Declared Emergency:

No one, while acting during or pursuant to a declared state of emergency, shall:

Temporarily or permanently seize, any firearm or ammunition which was not prohibited by law at the time immediately prior to the declaration of a state of emergency

Prohibit possession of any firearm or ammunition or any component thereof or

Prohibit any license holder from carrying any weapon if such carrying was not otherwise prohibited by law at the time immediately prior to the declaration of a state of emergency;

Require the registration of any firearm.

Strikes firearms and ammunition and components from the Governor’s Emergency Powers Act.

General:

Codify into law some common law prohibitions that prohibit a person from being arrested if they go to a prohibited location to save someone’s life.

Clarifies that private property owners my eject a person from their property but may not criminalize carrying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Exclamation

HB 875 had a public hearing in the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee. There is another public hearing tomorrow at 4pm in the same committee were it will be voted on and hopefully move on to the House floor for a vote.

If you want to watch the committee meeting live tomorrow at 4pm you can use this link to find the video: Video Broadcasts
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Exclamation

For you Georgia folks, Committee Meeting for HB 875 is about to start.

Watch it Live Here:

LOB 606
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

It was suppose to start at 4:00 PM.

Running late I'm sure.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Here in Atlanta we lock up our wallets, wives and daughters when the Legislature is in session!!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    TMoore thanks for keeping us updated. There is a lot of good legislation pending in GA! I just wish that the college campuses could be addressed this year. My daughter is getting ready to go off to graduate school and the area she will be going is really not good. I am having her take a course, get her GWCL and I am buying her a gun, but she will not be able to carry on campus which is the most dangerous area, especially walking to and from her car. It is crazy that our college students can't protect themselves!!!

You're welcome.

HB 875 passed the House Committee last night pretty easily, even though we have had a lot of opposition from Moral Monday, Moms Demand Action and Gun Sense groups, etc.... at the capitol. They are more organized and vocal this year than ever.

With Campus Carry provisions taken out of this years gun bill, this has a high chance of passing. It now needs to get of the House floor through the Rules Committee for a vote and then move onto the Senate. If you live in Georgia, please contact your House Rep and ask for their support of the bill.

Gun bill gains panel?s OK

These were great quotes:

While Wednesday’s hearing was dominated by opponents, including many members of the state’s faith community, Thursday’s session mostly featured supporters such as Elizabeth Finch, who said she often volunteers late at her church in Marietta and wants the right to protect herself while walking to her car.

“I shouldn’t be denied by law the right to equip myself for my own proactive protection, whether it be at a grocery store, a place of worship or my house,” said Finch, who identified herself as a National Rifle Association-certified instructor and the leader of a women’s shooting club.

While lawmakers heard from clergy members opposed to the bill Wednesday, faith-based leaders who support the measure came out Thursday.

Mike Griffin, a lobbyist for the Georgia Baptist Convention, said his employer backs the measure sponsored by Rep. Rick Jasperse, R-Jasper.

“It’s a sanctity of human life issue as far as I’m concerned,” said Griffin, who is also a lobbyist for Georgia Right to Life. “The Second Amendment right ends up protecting all life.”

Video here: GA Legislators Debate Religious Displays, Guns | Video | 11alive.com

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links