Virginia State Senate Special Election

Virginia State Senate Special Election

This is a discussion on Virginia State Senate Special Election within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Democrats win state Senate seat in Northern Virginia ? and perhaps control of the chamber - The Washington Post Well, I'm on a rant this ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl
  • 3 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 2 Post By abigno99
  • 3 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl
  • 2 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By The Old Anglo
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By Tundra5.7
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Virginia State Senate Special Election

Angry Virginia State Senate Special Election

Democrats win state Senate seat in Northern Virginia ? and perhaps control of the chamber - The Washington Post

Well, I'm on a rant this morning. In Virginia, 2 senate seats were up for grabs when they were vacated by the "D"s who won last fall - Lt. Gov. and Att. Gen. We totally lost one seat but the other is now being recounted because the anti-gunner won by 9 votes! And, here's the kicker. The 3rd party independent candidate was a former Republican! This stinks of Sarvis all over again. Whitbeck, the Republican candidate, was endorsed by VCDL (Virginia Citizen Defense League) as pro-2A.

Why does this all matter? The Senate consists of 19 "D"s and 20 "R"s plus this one being recounted. If the seat goes D then the senate is 20R, 20D with the D Lt. Gov. as the tie breaker. If the seat goes R, then it's 19D, 21R and we control the whole assembly and FastTerry can go stuff it.

Rant over.

The good news is we only got an inch of snow yesterday and overnight. Just enough to make it pretty out there.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Our only hope is for the Republicans to continue to remain in control of the House.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

66-33 Republican majority in the house. Hopefully that holds down the fort. As an aside, because of the recent turn in VA political power, I plan to make a donation to either the NRA or VCDL. If I could only do one, which is better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abigno99 View Post
    66-33 Republican majority in the house. Hopefully that holds down the fort. As an aside, because of the recent turn in VA political power, I plan to make a donation to either the NRA or VCDL. If I could only do one, which is better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am a member of both and I can't say if one is better than the other. VCDL is incredibly proactive and dedicated. They insert themselves into every 2A issue in VA, whether a statewide issue or a local one. I highly recommend you get on their free email alert list to see what they do and how you can help if you want to get involved. If only one, I would say join VCDL for $25. Money well spent.

Virginia Citizens Defense League | Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself
    ctr, gatorbait51 and ccw9mm like this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

VIP Member
    Fingers crossed....

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I don`t think it really matters anymore which Party is in control. We have an Anti Gun Nazi-In- Charge in the White House and he and his Mandate Pen may Trump us ALL.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I don`t think it really matters anymore which Party is in control. We have an Anti Gun Nazi-In- Charge in the White House and he and his Mandate Pen may Trump us ALL.
    At the Federal level I agree. In Virginia it makes a BIG difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    It does seem hopeless at times.
    HB43 is to nullify the Feds in regards to gun controls after 12/1/2013. It has to get by the senate and FastTerry first. I am not sure how VA's override Veto rules are but this is one reason why this recount is so critical.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearm.Fan.Girl View Post
    It does seem hopeless at times.
    HB43 is to nullify the Feds in regards to gun controls after 12/1/2013. It has to get by the senate and FastTerry first. I am not sure how VA's override Veto rules are but this is one reason why this recount is so critical.
    I doubt that one will fly now.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I still get the VCDL e-mails and read them thoroughly even though I've been gone from Virginia for 2 years. Great organization.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Here's to clarify my original rant.

Obershein's seat:
    Wexton D 53%
    Whitbeck R 37%
    May I 10%

Northam's seat:
    Lewis D and Coleman R separated by .04% a 9 vote difference in Lewis' favor. Recount expected to be requested today.

With Va. Senate at stake, GOP asks for recount in special election to replace Northam - The Washington Post

The Lewis/Coleman race is critical.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

4 Pro-2A Bills Pass the House and on to the Senate

From VCDL's alert:

HB 357, Delegate Anderson, allows a CHP holder to see his own record as kept by the Circuit Court Clerk. Strongly support. Unanimous

HB 878, Delegate LaRock, requires the Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on a Form 4 if he knows of no reason the applicant would be prohibited from legally owing a Class III item. Passed 64 to 32.

The following voted pro-liberty: Adams, Anderson, Austin, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Berg, Byron, Campbell, Chafin, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cox, Davis, DeSteph, Edmunds, Fariss, Farrell, Fowler, Garrett, Gilbert, Greason, Habeeb, Head, Helsel, Hodges, Hugo, Ingram, Joannou, Jones, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, LaRock, Leftwich, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Massie, Miller, Morefield, Morris, O'Bannon, O'Quinn, Orrock, Peace, Pogge, Poindexter, Ramadan, Ransone, Rush, Rust, Scott, Stolle, Taylor, Villanueva, Ware, Webert, Wilt, Wright, Yancey, Yost, Mr. Speaker

The following voted anti-liberty: Albo, BaCote, Brink, Bulova, Carr, Dance, Filler-Corn, Futrell, Herring, Hester, Hope, Howell, A.T., James, Keam, Kory, Krupicka, LeMunyon, Lopez, Mason, McQuinn, Morrissey, Plum, Rasoul, Robinson, Sickles, Simon, Spruill, Surovell, Torian, Toscano, Ward, Watts

HB 962, Delegate Cline, codifies that a non-CHP holder can have a loaded handgun in a closed, but not necessarily locked, compartment or container in a vehicle. Strongly support. Passed 70 to 27.

The following voted pro-liberty: Adams, Albo, Anderson, Austin, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Berg, Byron, Campbell, Chafin, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cox, Davis, DeSteph, Edmunds, Fariss, Farrell, Fowler, Garrett, Gilbert, Greason, Habeeb, Head, Helsel, Hodges, Hugo, Ingram, Joannou, Jones, Kilgore, Knight, Landes, LaRock, Leftwich, LeMunyon, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Mason, Massie, Miller, Minchew, Morefield, Morris, O'Bannon, O'Quinn, Orrock, Peace, Pogge, Poindexter, Ramadan, Ransone, Rasoul, Robinson, Rush, Rust, Scott, Stolle, Taylor, Villanueva, Ware, Webert, Wilt, Wright, Yancey, Yost, Mr. Speaker

The following voted anti-liberty: BaCote, Brink, Bulova, Carr, Dance, Filler-Corn, Futrell, Herring, Hester, Hope, Howell, A.T., James, Keam, Kory, Krupicka, Lopez, McQuinn, Morrissey, Plum, Sickles, Simon, Spruill, Surovell, Torian, Toscano, Ward, Watts

HB 100, Delegate Lingamfelter, allows a Circuit Court Clerk to not redact CHP information from 2004 through 2008, only if there is no confidential information in those records. Neutral. Passed unanimously.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Lewis won the recount by 11 votes.

And, they wasted no time. This will certainly kill any new pro-gun bills in the works. But, at least, there will be no anti-gun bills because Rs rule the House. Everything status quo. I hope FastTerry doesn't follow the "pen and phone" route.

Virginia GOP calls Dems? Senate takeover ?outrageous power grab? | Fox News

In what Republicans called "a Virginia version of Harry Reid's nuclear option," Democrats in the state legislature invoked new rules giving them control of all state Senate committees.

With Democratic Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam casting the tie-breaker Tuesday, the evenly split Senate was reorganized on a 21-20 vote.

Republicans branded it "a day of outrageous power grabs." They maintained that the existing Senate rules and organization governed for a four-year term, coinciding with the Senate election cycle.

"It is a partisan game to advance a radical agenda without accountability to Virginia voters," said state Sen. Tom Garrett.

"The new Senate rules subvert the Virginia Constitution by creating a veto and vesting it in the chairman of the Rules Committee," he told Watchdog.org.

"It is no overstatement to say that (the Democrats') creation of a super senator in the form of the Rules chairman makes John Edwards (D-Roanoke) far more powerful than even the lieutenant governor."

Garrett, a former commonwealth attorney from Louisa County, said Edwards "can singlehandedly pull any Senate bill from the purview of the full body and kill it in a party-line vote without having the accountability and transparency of a floor vote on the record."

Democrats say they're merely doing what Republicans have done when they held a majority.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

It's not that I think the Democrats have learned that, to win in many places in America, they have to rig the election results with phony ballots and other, illegal schemes. Wait.....yes it is.

Sponsored Links