S.C. Update For CCer's In Business That Serves Alcohol

This is a discussion on S.C. Update For CCer's In Business That Serves Alcohol within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't seen this on here..If i missed it,then please just delete. Bill to allow guns in SC bars, restaurants headed for Gov. Haley?s desk ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan060
  • 1 Post By wester
  • 1 Post By EdJean
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By flaguns
  • 1 Post By deadguy

Thread: S.C. Update For CCer's In Business That Serves Alcohol

I haven't seen this on here..If i missed it,then please just delete.

Bill to allow guns in SC bars, restaurants headed for Gov. Haley?s desk | Politics | The State

it's a start for SC to move into modern times.
    the next job is to allow having a drink while carrying.
    I am aware that there are many people who cannot grasp that many people are capable of having a drink or some wine with their dinner without losing complete control of their faculties but it is possible and SC should be like FLA in this regard.
    in FLA it is ok to drink while carrying it is not ok to use your weapon while intoxicated. so just like driving, I am able to drive home after a drink or wine with dinner without being concerned about blowing more than .08 (an absurd arbitrary number) and I can also carry my weapon while enjoying an adult beverage

I'm glad it passed.Personally i don't drink so ,not being able to drink and carrying doesn't effect me one way or the other.

I'm curious how the will do the cwp now,since they dropped the 8 hr required class for getting the permit.I've heard what they may do,but so far as the law goes,i only believe what i see in writing.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I'm going to say Gov Haley will sign it..I'm glad the fine is kinda stiff for drinking...People don't need to be drinking and carrying a gun..They say i'm going to have one drink and that's it. Then one turns into two. By the time they leave they are drunk.I absolutely believe a few here and there would have more than a drink,or a beer.. I don't think most CCers would want to risk losing their permit..I do drink sometimes but i can wait until i'm home.
    EdJean likes this.

Finally! I get tired of finding we're going out to eat at Applebees, O'Charlies, or some other restaurant that severs alcohol, only to have to leave my gun at home.
    EdJean likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flaguns View Post
    in FLA it is ok to drink while carrying it is not ok to use your weapon while intoxicated.
    this kills me.

You can carry and drink, but you have to lay down and die if attacked. Genius.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

In Utah the bac was the same for carrying and drinking as it was for drinking and driving. .makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey88 View Post
    I'm curious how they will do the cwp now,since they dropped the 8 hr required class for getting the permit.I've heard what they may do,but so far as the law goes,i only believe what i see in writing.
    If I read the final version of S.308 correctly, they did not drop the required training, just the statement for a minimum of 8 hours:

On the following link, scroll down to SECTION 2. A. Section 23-31-210 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 347 of 2006, is further amended to read:

2013-2014 Bill 308: Firearms - South Carolina Legislature Online
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    this kills me.

Whoa there, deadguy, that's not what the FL law says. Flaguns just didn't explain the entire statute on that topic and you made a rash assumption. See (5) specifically:

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.

(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

You got something better in SC?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Whoa there, deadguy, that's not what the FL law says. Flaguns just didn't explain the entire statute on that topic and you made a rash assumption. See (5) specifically:

790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.

(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

You got something better in SC?
    No need to take it personally. It was just a rash assumption
    Aceoky likes this.

this kills me.

you can be sure that I would suffer the consequences of the law rather than not defend myself
    deadguy likes this.

this kills me.

A bit of a stretch here. If you had a glass of wine with dinner and had to defend your self, you would be OK. If you were above the legal limit, then not so much. The point being you don't have to be unarmed just to have a drink with dinner. Just keep it sane.

OV showed me the way, specifically with the citing of #5 in the FL law. I had a strong feeling this was part of the laws in each state where consumption and carry is legal.

The way the FL law is written, it seems it wouldn't matter if you had BAC of .01 or .30 if you defended your property in a justified manner. As it should be.
    Aceoky likes this.

Sponsored Links