Rand Paul to propose carry in Post Offices

This is a discussion on Rand Paul to propose carry in Post Offices within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this in my inbox today. Some of you all might be getting it too from Gun Owners Of America . Senator Rand Paul to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Rand Paul to propose carry in Post Offices

Rand Paul to propose carry in Post Offices

Got this in my inbox today. Some of you all might be getting it too from Gun Owners Of America.

Senator Rand Paul to Offer Amendment Allowing Guns in Post Offices

Have you ever wondered why you can't pull your pickup truck into the parking lot of the Gillette, Wyoming, post office, go in, and mail a letter -- without giving up your Second Amendment rights?

The answer is that a bunch of gun-hating legislators -- who are terrified of the very thought of guns -- slammed through a law prohibiting guns in any federal facility. It is now contained at 18 U.S.C. 930.

The original law contained a provision, at subsection (d)(3), which would allow you to carry your gun for "other lawful purposes" -- including, presumably, self-defense.

But, not surprisingly, the ATF and the other anti-gun denizens of the federal government have read this exception out of the law -- by executive fiat.

But the good news is this: On Wednesday, January 29, Senator Rand Paul will offer an amendment, in committee, to the Postal Reform Act (S. 1486).

The amendment will allow you to drive into a post office parking lot with your gun, and will allow you to carry it into the post office, to the extent state law would allow you to carry that firearm in any other venue.

Because the amendment will be offered in Governmental Affairs, a vast percentage of the committee membership consists of conservative Republicans and Democrats running for reelection in conservative states. So there is a good chance that we can score a major victory for the Second Amendment if you act now.

ACTION: Please contact the senators on the committee (listed below) and ask them to support the Rand Paul amendment allowing Americans to exercise their constitutional rights in parking lots and public areas in federal post offices.

You can E-mail the Senators -- or call them at 202-224-3121.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Boomer,

You need to get rid of the link and redo it.

It has ALL of your personal information showing.
    Aceoky likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Makes sense to me!!!

This happened in a neighboring town I used to frequent 4 years ago (before I moved to FL). Seems like people with ill intents never pay attention to those arbitrary no gun zones.

Hostage standoff at post office is over - CNN.com
    rcsoftexas and tcox4freedom like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well he voted for the National concealed reciprocity thing which Im strongly against, but that is the only thing hes voted for that I wished he hadnt. But he screwed his head back on for this amendment proposal.

Gotta love Rand Paul on guns even if he did screw the pooch on the Nat Reciprocity thing. Still hope that doesnt pass.
    Aceoky and Christopher67 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Boomer,

You need to get rid of the link and redo it.

It has ALL of your personal information showing.
    Thank you!! Fixed.

Now I feel like an idiot though....

Seriously; thanks much.
    Chorizo likes this.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

Cool! I hope this sucker passes.
    Warrior1256 and Aceoky like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    ....to the extent state law would allow you to carry that firearm in any other venue.
    The state should not be allowed to make gun-free zones of any kind, for any purpose, ever. The 2A is an enumerated right and thus the state has NO authority to make ANY limitation or regulation there of.

VIP Member
    We should be able to carry in the post office and in many other places but this is a start .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thank god some senator finally has the guts to challenge this bad law. Our post office is isolated, there are no windows to the outside other than the door on the side. It is a mugging waiting to happen. I only go into it during open hours to check my PO box, even though I pay for full access. But it would be very easy for someone to lay in wait and rob or attack someone, and nobody would know until someone happened by later on.

The other major threat at a post office other than from a robber, is probably from the postal workers themselves. In SoCal a few years ago a former postal worker went on a rampage in Orange County for several days and shot up several post offices (hence "going postal"). I don't need to be standing in the stamp line when some whacked out worker comes in to get even with his boss.

The government does NOT have the right to deny me the right of self protection. It is long past time this sort of thing stops.
    Ghost1958, ccw9mm, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer928 View Post
    The amendment will allow you to drive into a post office parking lot with your gun, and will allow you to carry it into the post office, to the extent state law would allow you to carry that firearm in any other venue.
    This clause gives me pause. I hope the actual resulting law does not allow the PO to post no guns allowed stickers or they will. In states like OH, where the signs have force of law, nothing will change.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I sent my e-mail to my senators. I hope everyone else is doing the same.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    This clause gives me pause. I hope the actual resulting law does not allow the PO to post no guns allowed stickers or they will. In states like OH, where the signs have force of law, nothing will change.
    Might be wrong, but I "think" that means how your state allows carry (permit/license/Constitutional Carry) IOW as I see it, IF your state allows carry (open or CC) then you can at the USPO
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Good for Rand. Hope it goes through....
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Hope it passes making life less complicated for us and more complicated for the criminal, what a concept!
    Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    It will move the post office from Ohio's realm of felony carry into misdemeanor criminal trespass. You are correct, though, in that there isn't really much for us to like about it at this time.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links