The NRA Today?

This is a discussion on The NRA Today? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came across this on the web. http://waronguns.blogspot.com/ NRA Sides With McCain on "Gun Show Loophole" Here's what NRA tells politicians seeking their favor: The NRA ...

Thread: The NRA Today?

The NRA Today?

Came across this on the web.
    http://waronguns.blogspot.com/

NRA Sides With McCain on "Gun Show Loophole"

Here's what NRA tells politicians seeking their favor:

The NRA does not oppose an expansion of instant checks to firearms sales by non-dealers at gun shows, as long as such checks are made readily available and conducted in a non-bureaucratic and speedy manner (within 24 hours) to account for the unique and temporary nature of these events.”

Compare that position with the one they tell the rubes.
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...=150&issue=014

Or perhaps I should have titled this: "NRA Sides With Miller Court on Firearm Restrictions":
    http://www.keepandbeararms.com/Pucke...lerShotgun.pdf

In the same candidate survey, NRA expressed their opposition to gun bans, but made a point of stating that they do not oppose current restrictions on full automatic firearms, short barreled shotguns, and certain destructive devices.

Anybody still believe the current crop of mercenary staffers in Fairfax is interested in "shall not be infringed"?

I was taken to task recently for questioning the passion of some NRA staffers. It seems that I'm not the only one that felt that way. DakotaXD
    Last edited by DakotaXD; December 21st, 2006 at 05:36 AM.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Sorry I don't believe everything I get off of some guys website, or blog. I really didn't see any facts in their either just opinions.

This is kind of the same thing that most of us believe that comes from the mainstream media.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My grandfather always told me that opinions are like as.hol.., everyone has one. Steve48

VIP Member
    I followed the links back to the Neal Knox Hard Corps Report. The last page is where the blogger got his info. I'm still trying to grasp where the link to McCain is in that editorial. Neal is talking about an NRA ILA survey and how it contradicts itself or something. What he is saying doesn't make sense to me. There are no facts, just generalizations and out of context quotes.

Knox rightly tells people to contact the NRA-ILA, which is the lobbying arm of the NRA. Direct your ire and lobbying efforts at the NRA ILA and your elected representatives. Join Neal Knox if you feel he and his group better represent your feelings on the subject.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Thanks Scott.

Well that pretty much says it all. If you really research who Neal Knox (was) then you might not believe everything you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I followed the links back to the Neal Knox Hard Corps Report. The last page is where the blogger got his info. I'm still trying to grasp where the link to McCain is in that editorial. Neal is talking about an NRA ILA survey and how it contradicts itself or something. What he is saying doesn't make sense to me. There are no facts, just generalizations and out of context quotes.

Knox rightly tells people to contact the NRA-ILA, which is the lobbying arm of the NRA. Direct your ire and lobbying efforts at the NRA ILA and your elected representatives. Join Neal Knox if you feel he and his group better represent your feelings on the subject.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Attacking the NRA on a gun site... Who da thought? Then there was "Custer's last stand". Custer "representing the NRA" and his troops "representing those who believed in the NRA" all ended up dead. This is America guy's, politicians and the NRA (and other corporations) are for sale to the highest bidder these days. Here's a group picture of our government and the leaders of the NRA . Here's a picture of what the government and the NRA are going to end up doing to the NRA members . The NRA members are the yellow guy's. I firmly believe the NRA is going to use your money to sell you out. It's only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman View Post
    Attacking the NRA on a gun site... Who da thought? Then there was "Custer's last stand". Custer "representing the NRA" and his troops "representing those who believed in the NRA" all ended up dead. This is America guy's, politicians and the NRA (and other corporations) are for sale to the highest bidder these days. Here's a group picture of our government and the leaders of the NRA . Here's a picture of what the government and the NRA are going to end up doing to the NRA members . The NRA members are the yellow guy's. I firmly believe the NRA is going to use your money to sell you out. It's only a matter of time.

As with any group that is trying to gain an upper hand for their positions, there will be give and take, in order to garner as much support as possible. Are background checks that are "readily available" and "speedy" at gun shows such a bad thing?

Lets face it, there are people who should not be in possesion of any firearm. Instant checks can help weed them out, thus giving anti's less amunition to fight with.

I do not know all of the political wheeling and dealing that goes on in Washington, but I am positive that the NRA is not being infiltrated with people who are suddenly going to turn on the 2nd ammendment.

I do not agree with every single position the NRA takes, anymore than I agree with every single position from any other political group or political candidate.

My goal is to find the groups, candidates, and proposals that best line up with my ideals and support and vote accordingly.

If the NRA suddenly, or even slowly begins to move away from my ideals, I will either find and support, or start my own PAC to further my ideals.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
    As with any group that is trying to gain an upper hand for their positions, there will be give and take, in order to garner as much support as possible. Are background checks that are "readily available" and "speedy" at gun shows such a bad thing?

Lets face it, there are people who should not be in possesion of any firearm. Instant checks can help weed them out, thus giving anti's less amunition to fight with.

I do not know all of the political wheeling and dealing that goes on in Washington, but I am positive that the NRA is not being infiltrated with people who are suddenly going to turn on the 2nd ammendment.

I do not agree with every single position the NRA takes, anymore than I agree with every single position from any other political group or political candidate.

My goal is to find the groups, candidates, and proposals that best line up with my ideals and support and vote accordingly.

If the NRA suddenly, or even slowly begins to move away from my ideals, I will either find and support, or start my own PAC to further my ideals.
    Ironically when people that "shouldn't be in possession of a firearm" were allowed to order them from mail catalogs circa 1900 or so, we had a murder rate that would be the lowest in the world (per capita) right now.

I'm with a couple people here. The NRA is a big bloated beast at this point. They are going to keep doing just enough to get members and not enough to really change it to what we all deserve. Not that I blame them really. Just trying to make money and insure their survival like everyone else.

Although, hopefully I'm wrong and they have a slow strategy that they're using to get us where we need to be. More or less the reversal of slowly boiling the frog in the pot. The realist in me just doesn't buy it though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

If you don't like what NRA or any other group does , You can always Join and then make an effort from the inside to change things.

The more pro Gun lobies we have the better. To date the NRA is the one most noted and most vilified, which in my mind says they are doing something right.

I Have To Agree Here...

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    If you don't like what NRA or any other group does , You can always Join and then make an effort from the inside to change things.

The more pro Gun lobies we have the better. To date the NRA is the one most noted and most vilified, which in my mind says they are doing something right.
    Every organization makes decisions not everyone will like. I am an NRA member, contribute extra when I can, and have probably contacted 400+ legislators to help (my part) make things happen here in FL. I know that the NRA has made useful changes here...

Do I agree with all that is done...no...but what other voice is so 'concerning' to politicians?

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links