How to start a conversation about gun control

This is a discussion on How to start a conversation about gun control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone who's read any of my posts in this section of the forum knows I believe that it's to our advantage to try to change ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How to start a conversation about gun control

Anyone who's read any of my posts in this section of the forum knows I believe that it's to our advantage to try to change the minds of SOME of the "anti-gun" people, especially those who are not frozen in their thinking. I also believe that it makes sense for us to present logical, reasoned arguments when talking to the "antis" about guns and 2nd Amendment Rights, rather than just write them all off as "left-wing nutjobs" who won't ever change their minds.

I don't know how I missed this before, but this is an excellent article about how to change the minds (hearts) of "fence-sitters" and antis:
    How to Start a Conversation About Gun Control | The Truth About Guns

I have to admit I've only done this technique with 3 people so far, but it did work very well; if I have the chance, I may try this with the "Retired Professor" I mentioned in this posting:
    Interesting Opportunity

I've always had a hard time presenting logical, reasoned arguments with most anti-gunners because they do not want to listen and live in a fantasy world where the police will be there to save them if or when a threat occurs and that once guns are banned, the guns are going to vaporize and be wiped from the earth. As far as people sitting on the fence, I think that doing things in the article could possibly help.
    MikeNice likes this.
    Owner/Instructor of Make Ready Defensive Training
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    If someone asks me about guns or gun control i will try to help all i can..If they don't so be it...I do know if someone tries to push something on me,i don't like or care for there are two things i would tell them.The first being keep your nose out of my personal business.The 2nd thing i would tell them i can't type on here.

If they show no interest in learning,then that's their personal choice and i have no business trying to change it or them.

My number 1 start off the conversation is question is: "How many times have the police stopped a crime in progress?" That gets them to think that the police are probably not going to be there when a bad guy comes knocking, but they wil lbe there to invesigate and arrest the bad guy at a later date and time. That then goes to the statment that YOU are the first responder and that YOU have to know what to do. From there it becomes a give and take conversation. However, there are some people that no matter how factual and logical your argument is, they will not change. Those people I just walk away from.
    sdprof and Pistology like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I like it!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    NRA member 18 yrs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKnEA...C4C7BEE0A02E48

Of course some antis or fence-sitters are not going to respond to positively to ANY approach.

But the author of the article has several very good points to make:
    "So when it comes to guns, don’t talk about politics."

Obviously, it takes time for someone to change their mind about something they believe; as the author says,
    "That’s scary. When people get scared they either switch off or get aggressive. Neither is particularly helpful for moving the bullet—I mean ball forward."

I do like the author's attitude about logic vs. emotion, summed up in this sentence:
    "Remember logic didn’t get them into their position; it won’t get them out either."

I also like the idea of "recruiting" these people; we want them (even if they don't become people who conceal carry) to NOT VOTE for more silly, useless gun laws/restrictions. To that end, it makes sense to consider them as "recruits" in a popular movement to allow the "gun culture" the same consideration that they give other groups.

I send 40bob and tacman to there houses dressed like chewbacca. That normally does the trick......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Found this on another gun forum, supporting the idea of "take an anti to the range" idea:

"Just thought I’d share this – I have not personally “turned” an anti-gunner, but I have seen it done a couple of times. All it took was getting them to the range to shoot in a friendly, understanding, and completely supportive way. I am absolutely convinced that two things drive the antis: fear of guns and lust for security (at all costs). Guess what every anti I have ever seen does the first time they pop a couple of rounds downrange? They smile. It is something that has to be experienced. Granted, that may not overcome the other drivers – lust for security – but hey, sometimes you win just by opening peoples’ eyes a bit."

Another website:

"You are correct. About 16 months ago a female friend of my wife’s asked if I would be willing to do a ‘rank beginners’ “intro” to firearms (I do some) class for five over 65, female and liberal group she played cards with (wife’s friend is a shooter).
    I said yes but as the date approached I wondered what I got myself into and was thinking how I would handle the issues (I normally cover the ‘argument’ in all classes but never had one made up of this demographic).
    The women where nice, I put a single pistol, slide open, mag out on a table and told them (with a chuckle) to let me ‘know when it moved’ and began the class. It was 8 hours, no fire, historical background of firearms in the world and mostly in America, the roles played, etc, you know. By lunch they were all excited about understanding that ARs were not assault rifles, magazines did not mean you were a robotic killer even if they held more than ten and safety and proficiency before anything was paramount! They got to examine several types of firearms and breakdown some pistols, learn differences and actually dry fire ‘examined and empty’ firearms. By the end of the day the ALL wanted ‘live fire’ range classes and each wanted to be told where to purchase. This was in CA! So you are correct… fear and (often) friend’s outlooks and attitudes dictate."
    Last edited by RicT; January 29th, 2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post

I don't know how I missed this before, but this is an excellent article about how to change the minds (hearts) of "fence-sitters" and antis:
    How to Start a Conversation About Gun Control | The Truth About Guns

Grab the pom-poms and start a chant: I'm a hunter, tried and true! I'm a carrier, how 'bout you?!

Thanks for the link. Looks like some good ideas, there.
    bigwill72 and ShooterGranny like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    My wife and I have taken a number of "never touched a gun before" friends to the range.
    We start with a pre-arrival conversation about firearm safety and range rules.
    At the range we review the earlier conversation and then familiarize them with the hardware. Naming each part of the guns, how and why they work. We keep extra eye protection and a couple sets of Howard Leight active "ears" just for the new shooters. It makes a difference if you can communicate with them without taking earplugs in and out.
    We start with a 22LR revolver and then move them right up to a S&W M&P15-22... A rimfire that looks just like those evil AR15's they see on TV.
    Usually within an hour we've moved through 22LR's, .380's, 9mm's .40S&W's and 45ACP.. Once we've reached that point, I'll generally pull out a 7" AR15 pistol with a linear comp, load it up with full power NATO rounds and casually unload a 30rd mag downrange while the new shooters gasp about the felt concussion and the huge balls of flame being barfed out the short barrel. Then it's their turn.

We end the range visit by policing up the area and then we usually take them out for a bite to eat someplace casual. In most cases, the folks we've introduced to shooting have become new gun owners in very short order... many are now concealed carriers as well.
    Pistology likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    My wife and I have taken a number of "never touched a gun before" friends to the range.
    We start with a pre-arrival conversation about firearm safety and range rules.
    At the range we review the earlier conversation and then familiarize them with the hardware. Naming each part of the guns, how and why they work. We keep extra eye protection and a couple sets of Howard Leight active "ears" just for the new shooters. It makes a difference if you can communicate with them without taking earplugs in and out.
    We start with a 22LR revolver and then move them right up to a S&W M&P15-22... A rimfire that looks just like those evil AR15's they see on TV.
    Usually within an hour we've moved through 22LR's, .380's, 9mm's .40S&W's and 45ACP.. Once we've reached that point, I'll generally pull out a 7" AR15 pistol with a linear comp, load it up with full power NATO rounds and casually unload a 30rd mag downrange while the new shooters gasp about the felt concussion and the huge balls of flame being barfed out the short barrel. Then it's their turn.

We end the range visit by policing up the area and then we usually take them out for a bite to eat someplace casual. In most cases, the folks we've introduced to shooting have become new gun owners in very short order.

I've had much the same experience, with newbies. Once on the range and seeing what it really is (instead of merely what it's rumored to be), they fall in love with the sport. And then, usually, comes all the questions about self-defense and the realities of this world. Invariably, they end up far more open to it all, than they otherwise would have been. Quite often, they end up carrying themselves.
    Recon1342 and Warrior1256 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I never try to change anyone's mind about gun control.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    My number 1 start off the conversation is question is: "How many times have the police stopped a crime in progress?" That gets them to think that the police are probably not going to be there when a bad guy comes knocking, but they wil lbe there to invesigate and arrest the bad guy at a later date and time. That then goes to the statment that YOU are the first responder and that YOU have to know what to do. From there it becomes a give and take conversation. However, there are some people that no matter how factual and logical your argument is, they will not change. Those people I just walk away from.
    Unfortunately, I have a friend like that. He has a gazillion $$$ and lives in a multi million dollar home in Northern Kalifornia,
    almost in the woods. His home is an easy target filled with "stuff". His take on an armed home invasion is "I'd help them carry the stuff out". After a small incident at Daytona recently (he flew in for the race last weekend) where he saw me stop a pickpocket and hand him over to LE, I needed only to "accidently" display my holstered weapon. My friend was horrified that I actually STOPPED a robery and handed the BG to the cop nearby (20 feet away). The cop never had a clue what was happening and this BG was very obvious. So much for SA.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I've been very successful in having meaningful dialogue with anti-gun folks where I work. Some have done 180s while others have come as far as to understand my perspective but maintain it's not for them. Which, that's ok. I tell them it's not for everyone and I respect that. It helps to have certain skill sets with regard to oral skills, people skills, and logical progression through the subject matter. It takes both people being open to meaningful discussion without being pushy, insulting, etc. It takes being able to empathize with their reasons and presenting another perspective in a manner in which they can empathize without invalidating their concern. It's tricky.
    ccw9mm and molleur like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    As BugDude says, it's not for some and that's okay with me. He nailed it!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links