Looking for an academic response to pro-gun-control "finding"

This is a discussion on Looking for an academic response to pro-gun-control "finding" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In February 2011 The American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine published " Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home " by David Hemenway. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Looking for an academic response to pro-gun-control "finding"

In February 2011 The American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine published "Risks and Benefits of a Gun in the Home" by David Hemenway. I am trying to find a well-written critique online to counter it. Does anyone know of one?

I'm sure the conclusions are flawed, but I'm looking for something I can share with some pro-gun-control people because they consider Hemenway's article incontrovertible evidence against guns in the home.

Thanks.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Why even read this jacked up, cooked, horse hockey? They have proved absoluty nothing other than the obvious: a gun must be present before anyone can be shot with one. It's about like saying 100% of home invasions happen in the home, or 100% of auto accidents involve vehicles.

Just a lot of fast, buzz filled jargon with no specifics slighted to validate their agenda.
    A child with good debate skills could pick it apart.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

That was the biggest pile of donkey doo that I have read in a long time....Anything from John Lott would work to de bunk that.....
    maxwell97 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Maybe someone will know something.Personally,i'm not that bored,yet.

Guys--you're preaching to the choir. I like to work on some not in the choir.
    The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy him forever (Westminster Shorter Catechism, 1647).

Quote Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
    Guys--you're preaching to the choir. I like to work on some not in the choir.
    Then encourage a little critical thinking among the group. It's always more effective to put all the facts and possibilities out there and let people reach their own conclusions than try to convince them in a debate.

The truth is on our side.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Then encourage a little critical thinking among the group. It's always more effective to put all the facts and possibilities out there and let people reach their own conclusions than try to convince them in a debate.

The truth is on our side.
    I do that, but surely there is some research that is on our side that will help them question their assumptions.

Why even read this jacked up, cooked, horse hockey? They have proved absoluty nothing other than the obvious: a gun must be present before anyone can be shot with one. It's about like saying 100% of home invasions happen in the home, or 100% of auto accidents involve vehicles.

Just a lot of fast, buzz filled jargon with no specifics slighted to validate their agenda.
    A child with good debate skills could pick it apart.
    the problem is, and the one the OP is trying to combat, is that there are a ton of people out there taking this drivel as fact. and voting accordingly. i don't have the time or resources, or probably even the smarts to fight it myself, but i can see the purpose of what he's doing and the reason he wants refuting information.
    Broadus likes this.

Oh my, a full 2.25 pages of references for this article.... I'm afraid I'll have to go turn in my guns, I had no idea they were so dangerous!

On the other hand...

This is a little graphic that was posted by one of our mods a while back... I think it answers the question rather succinctly.

gun control and laws.jpg

In one page, no less.

I'm thinking, after I turn in my guns, I might turn in my car... after all, it too might get stolen and kill neighborhood kids who steal it and go joy riding... Oh gosh... I think there's a baseball bat in my garage too.... heavens! (You know in Britain, they're now the weapon of choice, right?)
    farsidefan1 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I'll just respond as I did in a previous but similar thread (Annals of Internal Medicine study)

If somebody quotes this study say "so what?"

Tell them many of the rights in the constitution increase the likelihood of the guilty going free so that they can kill, rape and rob again. Then ask them if the fourth, fifth, sixth and eight amendments should be revoked in response.

Then tell them to embrace freedom or move to North Korea.

(Chances are the people quoting these studies are using them to buttress opinions that will not change.)
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The thing about any type of report that contains statistics or opinions is that it requires rational thinking. The words "Rational" and "Thinking" never collide in the same sentence in the progressive American culture.

Rational Thinking says that parents are responsible for the welfare and safety of their children. "Parental Responsibility" is not on the list of phrases used by liberals today. The greatest thing that parents are responsible for today is providing the snacks after their kids recreation league sports team.
    Tzadik likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Owning a car increases your risks of dying in a car accident. Owning a dog increases you risks of getting bitten by a dog.
    glockman10mm, RickyD and airslot like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    A Gun in the Home by someone who is well trained and disciplined, is very safe.

A gun is just part of the solution one who seeks out training on home defense, has a good protection plan, trains his family, is very safe. Writing a study without taking any of this consideration is just pure propaganda.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    the problem is, and the one the OP is trying to combat, is that there are a ton of people out there taking this drivel as fact. and voting accordingly. i don't have the time or resources, or probably even the smarts to fight it myself, but i can see the purpose of what he's doing and the reason he wants refuting information.
    If anyone is swallowing this excretion whole, without thinking about other aspects of it, then they have closed their minds and will not hear any truth. " there are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see".

The 2A and all the writings put down on paper by the framers and founders regarding their thoughts therein are all the required reading necessary. If they can't or don't agree with that, there is no point in wasting any further time.
    oldskeetshooter likes this.

If anyone is swallowing this excretion whole, without thinking about other aspects of it, then they have closed their minds and will not hear any truth. " there are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see".

The 2A and all the writings put down on paper by the framers and founders regarding their thoughts therein are all the required reading necessary. If they can't or don't agree with that, there is no point in wasting any further time.
    I like your signature, Glockman. I could use a little research to help counter the ignorance that's out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links