Georgia: Repeal of SYG Unlikely

Georgia: Repeal of SYG Unlikely

This is a discussion on Georgia: Repeal of SYG Unlikely within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Repeal Of Georgia's 'Stand Your Ground' Law Appears Unlikely in 2014 | WABE 90.1 FM...

Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hodad

Thread: Georgia: Repeal of SYG Unlikely

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,046
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array RickyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    2,335
    Vincent Fort, the state senator who is pushing for the repeal, is a democrat who generally picks up and supports liberal causes including gun control. In 2012 he was given a rating of 8% by the NRA for his position on gun rights and he was rate 0% by the American Conservative Union.

    The most concerning part of the story is that there was republican discussion regarding whether SYG should extend beyond the home - ***?

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,628
    I am not a resident of GA but have dozens of relatives there and visit fairly often so I do follow the laws of GA. Thanks for putting this here.

    However, let's look at SYG laws. What is new about such a law? All it does is say what has been around for the last hundred years or so. It says a person does not have to leave their homes, housing, public places or where ever when adversity comes knocking. It means when intruders break into your home, you do not have to leave out the back door so they can take the things you worked and paid for or harm remaining family members without worrying about resistence. It means you do not have to run away when confronted in a public area so you can be shot in the back by your aggrerssor. It means you do not have to get out of your vehicle so a lazy, drugged up scumbag can take your car by force.

    The issue is with the SYG name that some law makers placed on the bills that strengthen the original laws. Had it not been for a case last year in FL where it kept being brought up when the SYG was not needed, there would not be any issue today. Those wanting to do away with it has constituents that would be the agressors or family members of aggressors. Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Rangel, Schummer and their like are the ones wanting to get rid of it because those killed under the law are their supporters.

    SYG is nothing new and nothing changed with it other than the name.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  4. #4
    Member Array Voice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I am not a resident of GA but have dozens of relatives there and visit fairly often so I do follow the laws of GA. Thanks for putting this here.

    However, let's look at SYG laws. What is new about such a law? All it does is say what has been around for the last hundred years or so. It says a person does not have to leave their homes, housing, public places or where ever when adversity comes knocking. It means when intruders break into your home, you do not have to leave out the back door so they can take the things you worked and paid for or harm remaining family members without worrying about resistence.
    Not really, that's the Castle Doctrine.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    It means you do not have to run away when confronted in a public area so you can be shot in the back by your aggrerssor. It means you do not have to get out of your vehicle so a lazy, drugged up scumbag can take your car by force.
    Now you're discussing Stand Your Ground.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

    The issue is with the SYG name that some law makers placed on the bills that strengthen the original laws.Had it not been for a case last year in FL where it kept being brought up when the SYG was not needed, there would not be any issue today. Those wanting to do away with it has constituents that would be the agressors or family members of aggressors. Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Rangel, Schummer and their like are the ones wanting to get rid of it because those killed under the law are their supporters.
    Actually most people who *benefit* from SYG laws are minorities. The problem is the race-baiters like Sharpton who assume racism and misinform people who trust them. Sharpton, et. al. were, at one point, useful and necessary fixtures in the fight against racism. Unfortunately, they long ago fell into the trap of assuming that because social change is slow, that society has not changed. Therefore, based on their early experiences, where racism was either blatant or covered with just a cheap coat of paint, try assume that any scenario where something goes poorly for a minority is an indication of a deep, unmitigated, institutionalize bias against said minority.

    At the beginnings of their careers they were quite often right in tha assumption. In this day and age, it's the exception rather than the rule. There's still a hell of a lot of work to do with regard to 'race relations' in this country, but the nature of the problems today are significantly different from the nature of the problems in the 50s. As a result, the tools and tactics need to change, but they don't see that. They see the successes they had, and the toolset they used, and assume that if it worked then, it will work now. (And in the now uncommon scenarios where they uncover an old-style issue, the old tools *do* still work. Not realizing that most of the problems are no longer old-style has them stymied as to why their tools of choice no longer seem to be as effective as they once were, so they crank up the power & pressure.

    Imagine that you've been pounding nails/pegs/stakes for 30 years. Some are bigger than others, so you have small hammers and big hammers. Some are harder to move than others, so you sometimes need to use more force. Sometimes the nail gets bet, so you end up having to puns it flush, it's not pretty, but you got the job done. A lot of the time people insist that the nail is just fine where it is, or that it's not really a nail, but anyone with half an ounce of sense can see that it *is* a nail, and that if it doesn't get pounded back in, that bridge is going to collapse under the weight of traffic.

    Now, one day you come across a nail with an odd looking head (it's got a slot cut into it). You pound on it for a while, and it doesn't want to budge. You pull out a bigger hammer, and eventually it either bends over, and you pound it flush, or you manage to sink that sucker into the wood. Congratulations. Job done, by boy was it hard. The same people who used to bell you that a nail wasn't a nail tell you that it east a nail, it was a screw. But you've long since learned better than to listen to them.

    Now imagine that you start running into more and more if these wierd nails but fewer and fewer of the older ones without that weird slot. You've built up quite a bit more muscle, so now you can get thae weird nails smashed Ito place, and the normal ones go in easy. It would certainly be easier to use a screwdriver, but that wasn't a tool you needed early on, and you can get the job done without it.

    In the mean time, the problem you're trying to fix (loose connectors) is getting fixed, but it's causing unnecessary damage and taking more effort because of bad assumptions. Eventually someone you trust is going to have to tell you that those are screws, but most of them figure you're the expert, so who are they to tell you how to do your job?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

    SYG is nothing new and nothing changed with it other than the name.
    No argument there. The concept that an innocent person has less right to be in a public space than their would be attacker just boggles my mind.

  5. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,666
    I thought SYG law in Georgia stood for "Save Your Grits".

    Which I wholeheartedly support!!!!
    PEF likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member
    Array oldskeetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    I thought SYG law in Georgia stood for "Save Your Grits".

    Which I wholeheartedly support!!!!
    There is a lot of hidden wisdom in that statement. Fortunately, politicians outside of the metro area have "Saved our Grits" for years. They still know "Which side their bread is buttered on".

    If Buckhead, Sandy Springs and Roswell go the way of Lithonia, Stone Mountain and Conyers, 2a is going to have problems in the Metro Area.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array RickyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    2,335
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Vincent Fort, the state senator who is pushing for the repeal, is a democrat who generally picks up and supports liberal causes including gun control. In 2012 he was given a rating of 8% by the NRA for his position on gun rights and he was rate 0% by the American Conservative Union.

    The most concerning part of the story is that there was republican discussion regarding whether SYG should extend beyond the home - ***?
    The republican discussion I noted was actually around LIMITING the existing GA law to only allow SYG in the home, which as noted above, is really castle doctrine. That is the part that really kills me - why are they even discussing this? Most other gun legislation pending in the GA Assembly is pro gun and some members of the majority republican party are having a discussion about the legitimacy of SYG? Vincent Fort is a liberal moron who doesn't have the first clue about firearms. As an elected official he has the right to speak, so let him speak and move on - there is no need for discussion unless it is to tell him how stupid he is...

  8. #8
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,628
    The Castle Doctrine is often misinterpreted. I have gone to court several times where people thought the CD would apply to their shooting thugs. Also, different states have different restrictions on the CD. SYG applies to more places than just in your home. I had a case a few years ago where a man was mowing his yard and a thug went to rob him. He pulled a pocket pistol and shot the thug. Only problem was he was in an open front yard and not inside his house and the thug never produced a gun. After about $50,000 in legal costs later and a stern warning from a Judge, he was cleared due to fear for his life thinking the man was going to shoot him. About eleven months later, he was sued for the personal injury to the thug. His homeowners coverage paid their policy limits.

    SYG only gives more teeth to the CD and public travel.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •