There is Going to be a New Sheriff in Town

This is a discussion on There is Going to be a New Sheriff in Town within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in Alabama, in a small county (~15,000). The current sheriff is retiring and in June the Democratic primary will decide who will be ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Yogi223
  • 4 Post By 12 gauge
  • 6 Post By pittypat21
  • 2 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: There is Going to be a New Sheriff in Town

I live in Alabama, in a small county (~15,000). The current sheriff is retiring and in June the Democratic primary will decide who will be the new sheriff. All the candidates are running as Democrats so voting for a Democrat has it's own issues but if I am going to have a say so in this position I will have to vote for one if these guys. It is my assumption that they all will tell you that they are a "conservative Democrat" and that they are running on the lib ticket because nobody ever wins on the GOP ticket in local elections. (I know it is crazy..Alabama overwhelming votes GOP on the national level and Democrat on the local elections) I believe all the candidates are decent guys but I would like to ask some hard questions to see where they stand.

I have several questions lined up for these guys and I will get a chance to talk to each one before June. I was wondering....What would you ask a potential sheriff? One that, if past history repeats itself, he will be the sheriff for many years to come.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Does he support a citizen's right for own legal Class III weapons/devices? Since carry/class III permits are controlled by sheriffs in Alabama, there is a definite difference in opinions from county to county. I live in Mobile County with a supportive Sheriff while just across the Bay, Baldwin County's Sheriff will not sign off on Class III, A REAL archaic system!!!!!!!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    Does he support a citizen's right for own legal Class III weapons/devices? Since carry/class III permits are controlled by sheriffs in Alabama, there is a definite difference in opinions from county to county. I live in Mobile County with a supportive Sheriff while just across the Bay, Baldwin County's Sheriff will not sign off on Class III, A REAL archaic system!!!!!!!
    Don't you hate, as a grown man (or woman), asking someone permission to take advantage of a constitutional right?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi223 View Post
    I live in Alabama, in a small county (~15,000). The current sheriff is retiring and in June the Democratic primary will decide who will be the new sheriff. All the candidates are running as Democrats so voting for a Democrat has it's own issues but if I am going to have a say so in this position I will have to vote for one if these guys. It is my assumption that they all will tell you that they are a "conservative Democrat" and that they are running on the lib ticket because nobody ever wins on the GOP ticket in local elections. (I know it is crazy..Alabama overwhelming votes GOP on the national level and Democrat on the local elections) I believe all the candidates are decent guys but I would like to ask some hard questions to see where they stand.

I have several questions lined up for these guys and I will get a chance to talk to each one before June. I was wondering....What would you ask a potential sheriff? One that, if past history repeats itself, he will be the sheriff for many years to come.
    While you are sort of trying to drive at a political /2A question, I think I'd want to know if any of the candidates was a certified peace officer and had any experience in LE and/or running a jail, if that is part of what they do.

If you don't get that basic information it won't matter much what his 2A position. He won't be able to do the job.

After you know about the basic qualifications, you might want to delve into their philosophy for dealing with minor
    offenses-- are they going to be arresting the county's teens for 2 minute curfew violations and a cigarette, or are they
    pretty much inclined to do the important stuff.

Then, (I don't know if you have a brandishing law or a printing law) you can ask their philosophy about dealing with things
    like OC, CCers, whether or not they think OC is disturbing the peace or some such.

But start with the basics so you don't hire a back slapper who has no clue how to do the job.

Added a moment later: You don't need to get into national issues. He is being hired to deal with local problems. Make
    sure he isn't the kind who causes unnecessary trouble-expense for the county's tax payers. Hire a smart and wise one and the rest will fall into place.
    archer51 and Yogi223 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Def ask on if he will sign off on Class 3 stuff
    And unless I am wrong tec AL is still may issue but is shall issue correct .. Ie it is up to local LEO to issue ..So ask what he thinks on that

And yeah ask his views on CC and OC etc...

Beware the man who is the FUD in my book .. Sure he is ok with hunting guns but a Full auto gun
    Yogi223 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links