SCOTUS review sought in NJ carry case

This is a discussion on SCOTUS review sought in NJ carry case within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Time for SCOTUS to define ‘bearing’ arms, and state limits? The U.S. Supreme Court is being asked to hear a case that could bring a ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By DaveWorkman
  • 1 Post By gregivq
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 2 Post By tdave

Thread: SCOTUS review sought in NJ carry case

Time for SCOTUS to define ‘bearing’ arms, and state limits?

The U.S. Supreme Court is being asked to hear a case that could bring a definitive ruling on the right to bear arms outside the home, and yesterday 19 state attorneys general filed a brief with the high court urging it to take the case, ABC News reported.

Time for SCOTUS to define ?bearing? arms, and state limits? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

Q: Should people who apply for a CPL be required to provide a "justifiable need?"
    Aceoky, gregivq and ccw9mm like this.

Let me just take a moment to imagine all of them liberal tears lamenting on a sight of national shall issue ruling.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    Those AGs contend that upholding New Jersey’s requirement to provide a “justifiable need” to carry a gun outside the home for personal protection may allow future federal regulations to “effectively preempt” permitting schemes in 43 states, including their own.
    So, the lawsuit is apparently seeking to shoot down the "justifiable need" infringement. Hard to believe that defense of innocent life and having a prayer of surviving violent crime isn't considered justification to carry by default.

If it happens at SCOTUS, then it sounds like it would nix all such arbitrary "need" qualifications on CHL's in all the states that have them. As it should be, IMO. (Actually, the whole silly CHL permissions scheme needs to be vaporized. But, one step at a time ...)

Best wishes to the groups working to make this happen.
    mook012, Aceoky and ctr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    These states are the ones whose AGs have included themselves in the request:
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota and West Virginia.

Ohio has come a long way in ten short years, since having a Republican governor who vetoed legislation allowing conceal carry by private citizens for the first time in one hundred forty-five years.
    Aceoky and WrongRecroom like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

NJ is and always has been a legal cesspool of corruption.......good luck..... a Police State revisited....yet we are walking defenseless targets here.

Very true regarding NJ - the latest out of the 9th looks pretty promising regarding this IMO despite those in power in NJ won't like it any better than those in CA , HI etc.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

This should be good

Hoping this is a win for the good guys

If HI could get shall issue with Permits that would grand even better if they reconzie other states... It sucks so many place I want to go to I dont want to if I can not defend my person..

Heck AZ has had Cons Carry for what 3-4 years now and shall issue for a lot longer and Open carry even longer ... And we have I think the 5 largest city in the country and yet there is no blood flowing the streets and the only shootout I hear about are either gang-bangers or some poor robber seeing it is a poor choice to rob someone in a Cons carry state
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I will add I wish NJ well as any state that bans as I said the m-1 carbine by name makes me worried a bit what is in the water ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    That is a lot of pressure on the SCOTUS to hear the case. It isn't just the NRA, but nearly half of the states in the country involved.

I wonder if anyone will be able to get Christie to opine on his own state laws. If he is still considering a presidential run in 2016 he is going to need 2A supporters. I think now would be a good time for some journalist trying to make a name for themselves to push him on the issue. I would love to see the response!

I hope for a big 2nd Amendment win. It would be fun to see the price of fertilizer drop because the antis flooded the market.
    Aceoky and elmacgyver0 like this.

Links