Let's take constitutional carry a step farther...

Let's take constitutional carry a step farther...

This is a discussion on Let's take constitutional carry a step farther... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think there should also be a "home-state rule". What that means is that the firearm ownership laws (if less strict) in your state apply ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Let's take constitutional carry a step farther...

Lightbulb Let's take constitutional carry a step farther...

I think there should also be a "home-state rule". What that means is that the firearm ownership laws (if less strict) in your state apply when you travel to any other state. Basically you'd be able to bring standard sized magazines and sound suppressors with you to any other state. Just some random thoughts I have on some hopefully future legislation. Discuss. Would you be open to something like this? Why or why not?

Far too complicated for LE to enforce. They would have to know the laws of their own state, which is already a challenge for some, it seems, plus the laws of the other 50 states. With a rule like this, you would probably be arrested and taken to the station. There, you would sit for a few hours until someone (a judge?) assessed whether you've violated the laws of your own state. Doesn't sound appealing to me.

This would be most useful in cases of transporting your firearm and firearm related items through restrictive states. But, of course, we already have that protection through FOPA.
    blitzburgh and american23 like this.

And would you be expecting law enforcement officers to be versed in the firearms of all 50 states?

Or would you have to wait until your day in court, after being charged, in order to claim this legal defense?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I am going to be nice and say this is silly.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    If the laws in all 50 states were the same, I could see it. Unfortunately they aren't and never will be. Just like driving laws aren't the same. You're held responsible for the laws of the state you are in, not the laws of the state your drivers license is issued from.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Boy that was quick
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Wouldn't that be a violation of state's rights?

Are you really willing to let California or New York determine what laws are to be enforced in Iowa? If this were to be the standard for CCW wouldn't it also hold true for driving business practices and other areas governed by law?

And why would a State allow the laws of another State to control behavior within its' own borders?

You would also be forcing LEO's to enforce, let's say NY's mag limits in your state that does not restrict. As you said, laws from your home state, carry over to the state your visiting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Tec the FOPA is sort of like this .. ( as long as you dont stop for very long you an have normal cap mag and otherwised banned guns locked up in the car with you in theroy at least ..) same with silencers them and I think AOW do not need paperworked filled to move them short time aroces state lines as long as legal in that state ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I don't advocate ANY additional UNIVERSAL firearm laws beyond those already in the U.S. Constitution. First, I'm a State's Rights believer. Second, if Washington can EVER lump us all together, then it only takes a single "net" with which to snare...us all!
    Aceoky, ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    I wouldn't support any federal legislation shy of a constitutional amendment (not just a law) clarifying "shall not be infringed" to eliminate the silly restrictions some states such as NY, CA and others have passed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Goes directly against common law and defies centuries of jurisprudence. You are subject to the laws of the jurisdiction you are in. Just that simple.
    ccw9mm and gatorbait51 like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Oh, you mean like if I can drive the posted 80 mph here in Arizona, I should be able to do that when I visit Rhode Island?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links