Do you risk concealed carry on college campus/work

Do you risk concealed carry on college campus/work

This is a discussion on Do you risk concealed carry on college campus/work within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know in several states it is not illegal to conceal carry on college or work (certain exceptions aside like primary or secondary schools, daycare, ...

View Poll Results: Do you risk concealed carry where it's "against policy"

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, "policy" be damned!

67 37.43%
  • No, I don't want to get expelled/fired

52 29.05%
  • No but I am thinking about it...

15 8.38%
  • No, it's against the law for me.

45 25.14%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Do you risk concealed carry on college campus/work

Post Do you risk concealed carry on college campus/work

I know in several states it is not illegal to conceal carry on college or work (certain exceptions aside like primary or secondary schools, daycare, post office, prohibited by Federal law, etc) But here in KY it is not a crime to conceal carry (if you have a license to do so, obviously) at college or work. Now, you can be disciplined or fired (with the exception of if it is in your car and the car is not school/employer property) for having a firearm on or about you, but it is not a criminal offense.

I personally believe students should be able to conceal carry on campus as should employees. Obviously to conceal carry (at least here) you have to be 21. For most college students that means you are in your last year or two of college, if not graduate school! For me, as a grad student at a medical school I am in a downtown environment most of my days and nights. I don't think it's unreasonable for at least the professional students (MD, DMD, PhD, etc) to be allowed concealed carry (we have alot more to lose, and a lot more student loans haha). Every semester we have 3-4 "alerts" of students being robbed, attacked, raped, or failed attempts (had one attempted kidnapping last month) at such acts. What complicates things is my line of study takes me in and out of hospitals all the time (I don't think it's illegal to carry in a hospital just against their policy). At least while on campus, if caught I could get (potentially) expelled. I know several employees (all female and all carry purses) who keep a small revolver in their purse (all of them are nurses, reasoning that based on them seeing crazy drugged-up people who threw off 6 security guards, so they wanted more than pepper spray).

So my question is this, to those where it is legal to conceal carry, but against "policy", do you conceal carry? I'm on the fence right now. I wear scrubs all the time but something like a Sticky/Remora holster or belly band would help keep things concealed (scrubs are loose but their waistbands aren't elastic and they are very thin) or maybe something like a 5.11 tactical holster shirt (many scrubs have pockets on inside and out and people keep cellphones on the inside breast pocket to keep them from falling out. So I have options and for my trips to the hospitals to see patients (for research, not as a medical student) I can bypass the metal detectors for the hospitals and schools don't have them. But given cases of students simply brandishing a firearm to defend their campus housing (college owned but off campus site) and getting suspended/expelled for it, well it makes me really hesitant. If it were a job I would carry, hell I can always find another job and there is no criminal charges involved (if I am ever a professor/physician I plan on carrying everywhere). But if I'm expelled, well that record follows you when you're in school. One student at University of Kentucky had a weapon in his car, got fired (was also an employee) but managed to reverse the decision because KY law specifically states employers can't fire employees for keeping a gun in their car (glove box is not considered concealed).

I have done many many many searches for this topic and the results mostly are about whether concealed carry on college campuses should be allowed or not. This is about DO you RISK it?

Who here risks it or would risk it?

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    When you accept a job or choose to go to a school, you know the rules before you start. You have agreed to follow those rules when you accepted. Why do you think you should go back on your word after the fact? My word is my word, if I want to carry and they don't allow it, I don't go there.

VIP Member
    I carry everywhere it is legal for me to do so.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

The AF Security Forces at the gate would frown on that- they're the only ones that get to carry on base.

I'm a medical student as well. We have plenty of crime on and around my campus as we're also the main city hospital. We even had a student kidnapped a block from school last semester. It is completely legal to carry on college campuses in this state unless there is a regulation against it. My school has no such regulation, but we're told no carrying anywhere on the grounds for students, employees, or patients unless you are on-duty LEO. I think the likelihood of being expelled due to carrying a firearm is much greater than needing a firearm, so I do not risk it at all. That said, there are places that I go (gym, grocery, etc) that are more dangerous and I would feel much more comfortable with the best defensive tools. There was a person shot to death in a robbery about 3 blocks from my gym recently. So, I don't see the harm if someone wanted to keep an unloaded firearm in a locked safe, in a locked car at the parking garage on campus for carrying before and after they're on campus.

I do, however carry a folding knife on my at all times. My school policy does state no knives and references state law. Given that vague wording, even a plastic butter knife or trauma shears would be against policy. But, I made the case to a campus LEO that my knife doesn't meet the criteria for a weapon under state law and that it is for utility purposes and it seemed to fly with him, so I don't worry about it.

I work in a Federal Building with US Marshals on patrol and at the entrances. Everyone, even employees, goes through a metal detector. Pretty easy call.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have done so a few times years ago but eventually decided not to do it anymore. The relative risks lean in favor of not carrying, although I am looking for pepper spray now.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

VIP Member
    CANT
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Everyone has to make their own decisions on whether to violate a policy or not. I do not see it as violating my word if I choose to ignore a posted sign (it is not illegal in GA to do so) but that is certainly somebodies policy. Work and school can be different - not everyone is lucky enough to be able to walk away from a job.

The school story hits close to home for me because my daughter is headed to medical school and the school she wants to attend is in a bad area. I find it completely unacceptable that school policy precludes her from protecting herself.

VIP Member
    Incidentally, great first post!
    gatorbait51 and poetdante like this.

Once again we see Administrators who don't own the property often the property is taxpayer or donor subsidized. Deciding that others have no right to safety and that they have no responsibility for their own decisions. They enhance their safety by working only certain hours when crime is less likely and having parking spaces in secured areas proximal to their workspace. Others at risk? A small price to pay for the great man to show his power.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abigno99 View Post
    I'm a medical student as well. We have plenty of crime on and around my campus as we're also the main city hospital. We even had a student kidnapped a block from school last semester. It is completely legal to carry on college campuses in this state unless there is a regulation against it. My school has no such regulation, but we're told no carrying anywhere on the grounds for students, employees, or patients unless you are on-duty LEO. I think the likelihood of being expelled due to carrying a firearm is much greater than needing a firearm, so I do not risk it at all. That said, there are places that I go (gym, grocery, etc) that are more dangerous and I would feel much more comfortable with the best defensive tools. There was a person shot to death in a robbery about 3 blocks from my gym recently. So, I don't see the harm if someone wanted to keep an unloaded firearm in a locked safe, in a locked car at the parking garage on campus for carrying before and after they're on campus.

I do, however carry a folding knife on my at all times. My school policy does state no knives and references state law. Given that vague wording, even a plastic butter knife or trauma shears would be against policy. But, I made the case to a campus LEO that my knife doesn't meet the criteria for a weapon under state law and that it is for utility purposes and it seemed to fly with him, so I don't worry about it.
    I started carrying pepper spray and usually have a knife on me. Our school references the state law as well, which fortunately state law says a regular pocket knife isn't a deadly weapon. My issue with campus security is that one student was shot (albeit on main campus in a rougher part of town) and whenever security is called it takes a good 10min for them to arrive. In a hospital they are on it like a flash so I don't worry there. But in the winter the homeless start to wander in and you see them sleeping in waiting areas for a good half hour before security is notified.

As for college carry, I think it's unfair the university is so strict on it. They slap you on the wrist for alcohol or some other violation of a rule (not every university, just mine as an example). I wonder if there would be any retaliation for me to push for grad students to be allowed to CCW (hell, even the medical school, which has EVERY entrance key carded, I still see some people there that probably shouldn't be on the grounds and could slip in behind another student.

As for the person mentioning my agreement with the university, the university also agreed to provide a safe environment and and a fair education. I guess I should say I will probably carry "after hours" when there aren't any students to notice and any security to ask. I've never even SEEN security on campus, all I see are the occasional alert boxes that are "down" for half the semester. It's not breaking my word, because I never gave it. I never signed anything. All I did was during orientation state I understood the actions the university could take if I violated the rule book.

In all honesty, with no metal detectors and no "weapons prohibited" signs posted, the only way a problem would arise would be if someone saw a DISTINCT print of a firearm (since we can walk around in lab coats and white coats and actually wear anything we want (no flipflops) then the chance is very slim. Women, of course, can carry in their purse.

I can understand about the people who can't afford to lose a job. I can't afford to get expelled. But it is interesting seeing how people respond. I wonder if there is a way to petition for a change in policy of the university but given how liberal and anti-gun UofL is I fear retaliation from the administration/faculty.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I work on a college campus. Unfortunately, in this state carrying would be a felony. I disagree with this and think that it should be legal. Just last October, a law went into effect allowing storage of guns in closed compartments in locked vehicles on school grounds. Prior to this change, the school prohibition was in effect, a total prohibition on anyone who would be on school property for the entirety of their trip.

I don't at work; it is illegal, since I work at a school. If it was a matter of simply violating a work policy, that might be one thing, but risking a criminal record and losing my RTBA is DEFINITELY not worth it to me.

I carry on college campuses, since that is legal in my state.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I carry concealed at work. I have no idea what their policy is, but I know that they offer no on-site security for my protection. If I get caught and fired, I'll find a new job.
    stylus and maxwell97 like this.
    Springfield Armory XDS .45
    Kahr CM9
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links