2002 New Jersey Smart Gun Law Expected To Be Triggered This Year

This is a discussion on 2002 New Jersey Smart Gun Law Expected To Be Triggered This Year within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I can't help but wonder what other little timebombs are out there ready to explode. "...smart guns soon could be the only kind sold legally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 2002 New Jersey Smart Gun Law Expected To Be Triggered This Year

I can't help but wonder what other little timebombs are out there ready to explode.

"...smart guns soon could be the only kind sold legally in New Jersey under a state law that has languished on the books for a decade. The law, which requires the state’s gun dealers to exclusively sell smart guns within three years after the first one hits the market, has been largely forgotten since the Legislature adopted it in 2002. But it could be dusted off as early as this year as technology finally catches up to the vision of lawmakers.

...advocates predict that the first sale is likely to create a domino effect as other companies and publicly funded groups — including one at the New Jersey Institute of Technology — are spurred to bring their own prototypes to the market. After that, it’s probably just a matter of time before the technology becomes standard.

Who is going to want to buy an old stupid gun rather than a smart gun?” Teret, who has been working on the issue for 30 years, said. “I am very optimistic about this.” "

Um...ME!

NJ's 2002 smart-gun law could take effect soon, limit supply : page all - NorthJersey.com
    Aceoky and WrongRecroom like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

I think some folks are "wishful thinking" the technology doesn't really exist
    tdave likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

This is not the first smart gun as I recall Colt had one activated by a ring. Police started to use it and it was found unreliable and dropped. This time to play it "safe" the police will be exempted and it will only be the lone armed citizen confronted by criminals who hears click instead of bang. The state will of course exempted from liability for their complicity in the resulting homicides.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    They say putting the same kind of safety features in handguns would significantly reduce suicides and accidental shootings, particularly those involving children. They could also protect gun users from having their own weapons used against them and reduce illegal firearm sales.
    Law Enforcement should be the first required to adopt the “smart” guns, after all they are at a higher risk of an altercation and having their weapon taken and being used on themselves or others, it is for public safety don’t you know.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Law Enforcement should be the first required to adopt the “smart” guns, after all they are at a higher risk of an altercation and having their weapon taken and being used on themselves or others, it is for public safety don’t you know.
    Man I LOVE your idea! No way they would want that experimental junk.
    msgt/ret, tdave, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

From the article:
    “New Jersey’s smart-gun law is as dumb as it gets,” Bach, of West Milford, said in a statement. “It forces you to use an unproven technology to defend your life, and then exempts the state from liability when the gun goes ‘click’ instead of ‘bang.’ If it’s such a great idea, then law enforcement shouldn’t be exempt, and the free market should be allowed to determine its viability.”
    'Couldn't agree more.
    Aceoky and airslot like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    New Jersey is already a bastion of all things terrible for 2nd Amendment rights. This garbage is just more of the same.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    - If we're on the subject of sci-fi, why not just make police officers learn how to "curve" bullets Wanted style?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Don't live in NJ and don't plan on ever living there.
    Aceoky, msgt/ret and joker1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To be honest, if this technology actually was reliable its not a bad idea. Especially for those of us with kids. I don't agree with the legislation requiring it but in the free market I like it. It allows you to have better access to your firearms while still securing them. Great in concept. Bad in practice unfortunately. This really isn't that hard of a problem to solve technically either. It's just figuring out how to make electronics survive the impacts of firearm internals that is the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

So how long before they will want RFID chips embedded in each gun??? The used weapons market is going to go sky high.
    Aceoky likes this.

I have heard of companies trying to make gps fitted guns in that if your are near say a school the gun will not fire ...

I think smart guns are a horrible idea.. As there is what 3-4 smart guns out there all prototypes and the one I saw that was CA oked was like 10k for a 10shot 22...

Plus guns are simply in operation really ... Why would you want to mess that up.. I mean what you have to have a watch on a ring etc .. So what happens if you are in the area with a high magnetic field where the single does not work or if you drop the gun and have to re enter a pin to unlock it etc ... Or if you took the watch off to sleep .. are you really going to remember to put it on when the alarm goes off ?

Same thing with microstampting and all this .. Warm and fuzzy ideas but as other said your pants will be warm and fuzzy when you hear a click instead of a bang because you forget to put your watch on ...

And that Armtex or whatever is the one that is 10k I think for a 22... I hope gun compaines do what they did with microstamping and dont make any guns with it ....
    Aceoky, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Also here is something to think about for thous fingerprint guns ... If your hands are very dry or chap good luck with fingerprint match up .. Or for those who work around chemical or are musician etc good luck with callouses covered hands ... Heck even over time are prints change a little bit not much but really do you want to find that out the hard way ..

Or if you like wearing gloves to shoot in the winter ....
    Aceoky and msgt/ret like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    I have heard of companies trying to make gps fitted guns in that if your are near say a school the gun will not fire ...

I think smart guns are a horrible idea.. As there is what 3-4 smart guns out there all prototypes and the one I saw that was CA oked was like 10k for a 10shot 22...

Plus guns are simply in operation really ... Why would you want to mess that up.. I mean what you have to have a watch on a ring etc .. So what happens if you are in the area with a high magnetic field where the single does not work or if you drop the gun and have to re enter a pin to unlock it etc ... Or if you took the watch off to sleep .. are you really going to remember to put it on when the alarm goes off ?

Same thing with microstampting and all this .. Warm and fuzzy ideas but as other said your pants will be warm and fuzzy when you hear a click instead of a bang because you forget to put your watch on ...

And that Armtex or whatever is the one that is 10k I think for a 22... I hope gun compaines do what they did with microstamping and dont make any guns with it ....
    I agree. It's a good concept that is bad in practice. I still could see some good applications for it. For instance security for areas where your out numbered by prisoners. Today they are left unarmed. In a perfect world you would use finger prints or implanted RFID to activate however that introduces a whole new set of issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

This is the only smart gun I ever want to own:

LET'S ROCK!
    British by birth. American by choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links