NnnnSssssAaaaaaa data collection from online gun forums

This is a discussion on NnnnSssssAaaaaaa data collection from online gun forums within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just wondering to what extent does the Ennn Esssss Ehhhhhh ;) collect data/user data from various online forums, youtube comments, facebook, texting, news ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: NnnnSssssAaaaaaa data collection from online gun forums

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar

I was just wondering to what extent does the Ennn Esssss Ehhhhhh ;) collect data/user data from various online forums, youtube comments, facebook, texting, news story comments, emails, website orders and correspondence etc... to build a profile on everyone that has a weapon.

Look at all the personal information that is often divulged on forums. What guns you own, how much ammo you might have, if you carry, how you carry, what you carry. It goes on and on and on. I think many of us would be shocked at the detailed profile and amount of info on this that could easily be compiled.

Anyone run across any articles/data on this?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    ever use a club card at the grocery store? they know your eating habits. which can infer a lot about a person. they know what size underwear you wear. they know what prescriptions you take. they know your spending habits. they know who you associate with. they know more about you, than you do. they key is; are you gonna make them collect all that data about you, in particular, and give them a reason to use it? there is a quarter billion people in this country, they aren't keeping tabs on each and every one of us, they can't. they can selectively decide to pick apart an individuals life, but again, give them a reason. so far the only thingi am is a redneck with guns. not exactly an uncommon thing.
    gatorbait51 and GhostMaker like this.

Just don't say things like "gun," "shoot," "target," and "bullets," and you should be fine...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have no doubt that at least most of us on here (and other such places) have a mountain collected about us - IF they manage it as good as they did/do the Obamacare site - well
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

I called my exterminator this morning complaining of ANT TRACKS and this afternoon the DHS was at my door <rimshot>
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Too late, they already know everything about you!
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member
    If I wasn't on "somebody's" list already, I'd be insulted!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    If I wasn't on "somebody's" list already, I'd be insulted!
    No doubt,

I am a COTUS loving, gun owning Christian Patriot - how dare I be "that" clinging to _______________ "
    BugDude and gatorbait51 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I have no doubt that at least most of us on here (and other such places) have a mountain collected about us - IF they manage it as good as they did/do the Obamacare site - well

Well said! Hope that's the case!
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If you think there is such thing as privacy you are fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    I was just wondering to what extent does the Ennn Esssss Ehhhhhh ;) collect data/user data from various online forums, youtube comments, facebook, texting, news story comments, emails, website orders and correspondence etc... to build a profile on everyone that has a weapon.

Look at all the personal information that is often divulged on forums. What guns you own, how much ammo you might have, if you carry, how you carry, what you carry. It goes on and on and on. I think many of us would be shocked at the detailed profile and amount of info on this that could easily be compiled.

Using some common sense, you should assume anything posted on an open source of media could be seen by pretty much anyone.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    No doubt,

I am a COTUS loving, gun owning Christian Patriot - how dare I be "that" clinging to _______________ "
    Wow...a real live extremist right here in our midst!!!
    DingBat, DPro.40 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I figure that if they want to know what I'm doing or saying they can listen and watch as much as they want and that will give others a break but if I want to drop off the grid they will play hell figuring out where I am and that was planned 25yrs ago.
    DingBat and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    ... data collection from online gun forums

With the T-tap style data slurp of the telecomm/internet feeds through key transit points a done deal, it's hard to imagine what general data traffic isn't in the NSA's hands. Been published knowledge since ~2006 or so.

Forums and whatnot? Whatever portion of the traffic goes through one of those tapped transit facilities ... sure.

All portions of all sites, including those that don't go through such large-scale "transit" facilities? Likely not, IMO. But then, it's not as though these public forum posts aren't ... well, public.

NSA collecting ALL Verizon customer records

NSA collecting ALL Verizon customer records
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't know if they're monitoring us, but I do know that the brave, talented and good-looking men and women of the NSA all do an excellent job.
    SgtRick, pgrass101 and 3wggl like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links