John Paul Stevens Wants to Amend the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on John Paul Stevens Wants to Amend the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This type of heathen should NEVER have been allowed to sit on SCOTUS in the first place. Since Stevens believes that the authors of the ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: John Paul Stevens Wants to Amend the Second Amendment

This type of heathen should NEVER have been allowed to sit on SCOTUS in the first place.

Since Stevens believes that the authors of the Second Amendment were primarily concerned about the threat that a national standing army posed to the sovereignty of the states—as opposed to homeowners’ anxiety about violent felons—he thinks the best way to fix the situation is to amend the Second Amendment. He’d do that by adding five words as follows:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the militia shall not be infringed.
    Gun Control and the Constitution: Should We Amend the Second Amendment? - Businessweek

With some of the current cases coming before the court this term, he may get what he wants without actually having to amend the constitution.
    They'll just make it up as they have on so many other issues.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

And the Leftist gun owners will continue to vote for Leftist politicians.
    OD*, Betty, MMinSC and 1 others like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Not surprised at the fawning report coming out of a Bloomberg publication.

Since Stevens believes
    Since Aceoky KNOWS the founders knew what they meant and since he believes they were far smarter than you could possibly be with that total drivel - go pound sand

Hey who is up for starting a BIG Militia?
    OD*, d2jlking, airslot and 5 others like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Oh, man. Just when I was starting to relax.
    OldVet likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I wonder what his opinion would be about similar restrictions on the Freedom of Religion? Can we ban religions, regardless of how stupid and useless they might seem to be OR should we just allow people to believe any stupid thing that they want as long as they don't directly harm anyone else in their practice of those beliefs?

I noticed that he is from Chicago originally and it could be argued that this just reinforces the notion that nothing good ever comes from Chicago.
    Aceoky, NETim, airslot and 3 others like this.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or penicillin...

I HATE CENSORSHIP !!!

More info about me

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
    — George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
    --Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

"The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpation of power by rulers. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally ... enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
    -- Joseph Story, Supreme Court Justice, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, p. 3:746-7, 1833

[I]"The right [to bear arms] is general. It may be supposed from the phraseology of this provision that the right to keep and bear arms was only guaranteed to the militia; but this would be an interpretation not warranted by the intent. The militia, as has been explained elsewhere, consists of those persons who, under the laws, are liable to the performance of military duty, and are officered and enrolled for service when called upon.... f the right were limited to those enrolled, the purpose of the guarantee might be defeated altogether by the action or the neglect to act of the government it was meant to hold in check. The meaning of the provision undoubtedly is, that the people, from whom the militia must be taken, shall have the right to keep and bear arms, and they need no permission or regulation of law for the purpose. But this enables the government to have a well regulated militia; for to bear arms implies something more than mere keeping; it implies the learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use; in other words, it implies the right to meet for voluntary discipline in arms, observing in so doing the laws of public order."
    -- Thomas M. Cooley, General Principles of Constitutional Law, Third Edition [1898]

I'll give Stevens credit though. He's trying to do the deed legally by actually amending the Constitution.

But he's still a frikken' doorknob.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

I would hope he fully understands what it requires to amend the COTUS and it is not gonna happen too many of us in free states would see to that AND there are more than enough to accomplish it
    d2jlking, VNvet, airslot and 2 others like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    I would hope he fully understands what it requires to amend the COTUS and it is not gonna happen too many of us in free states would see to that AND there are more than enough to accomplish it
    I have my doubts.
    Aceoky, airslot and blitzburgh like this.

What the good gentleman fails to grasp is that at the time the very idea of a gentleman being denied the means to protect himself and others would have been as far outside their ken as the idea of someone being denied the ability to dial 911 in ours. The Constitution recognizes the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the idea that you could be denied the means to preserve any of those is imbecilic.

Further, and to expand upon the "Bearing of Arms is a right of the People, but that means the State Organized Militia not you and I" is that even if that were the case in the Constitution, most state constitutions bear almost the same words and it's quite clear that they mean the people of the State, not the State itself.
    Aceoky, NETim, airslot and 14 others like this.

Of course he does, and I want him to move to a country that already has restrictive gun laws and leave my country alone.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    But he's still a frikken' doorknob.
    I beg to differ, doorknobs are useful.
    Aceoky and Sister like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    This type of heathen should NEVER have been allowed to sit on SCOTUS in the first place.

Gun Control and the Constitution: Should We Amend the Second Amendment? - Businessweek
    I've no problem with people who oppose the Second Amendment wanting to amend the Constitution. The drafters specifically allowed for such amendments.

Arguing for amendment is much better than arguing for unconstitutional restrictions.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

The 2nd shall not be infringed. The word "shall" has a long standing legal definition, i.e. can not, will not or shall not. The word "shall" would need to be redefined before anything else happening.

But, the professional politicians now in control have no concern about the History/Traditions of Our Country or Definitions of Words that that we us to operate as a Lawful Society.

Respect for the People of Our Country, Our Constitutional and Bill of Rights or the written Word of God is very hard to find in Our Government Buildings of Washington, D.C. and far to many States. If the professional politicians don't like what is written, they'll just change it. That part is easy. After-all, it's for the good of the people.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links