South Carolina 2A carry news

This is a discussion on South Carolina 2A carry news within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For you SC voters, make notes of the names that voted with you and those that voted against! We lost this one, but we can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: South Carolina 2A carry news

VIP Member

For you SC voters, make notes of the names that voted with you and those that voted against! We lost this one, but we can vote the anti's out now that they are named.

Republicans Kill South Carolina's Pro-Second Amendment Bill

Joshua Cook February 20, 2014

Sen. Lee Bright, who is challenging Sen. Lindsey Graham, sponsored a bill that would restore Second Amendment rights to South Carolina citizens. Recently Governor Nikki Haley (R) backed the proposal that would "make it legal for most South Carolinians to carry guns – concealed or in the open – without a permit."

The bill, Constitutional Carry, stated that the 2nd Amendment is the only permit a citizen needs in order to exercise his right not simply to keep arms but to bear them as well. Unfortunately, the bill failed with a Republican majority in the senate. Only 4 Republicans voted to advance the bill out of the judiciary committee: Lee Bright, Shane Martin, Katrina Shealy, and Tom Corbin.

Sen. Larry Martin (R) was a strong and vocal opponent of the bill. One of his constituents, who asked him to advance the bill, received this response from Martin: "If the Second amendment has been as you interpret it, why hasn't SC law reflected that for the last 140 years? I'm sorry but you are describing an "unlimited" right that has never been the case with the Second Amendment. My view of the 2nd Amendment has always been the right to own guns and keep them in our homes, business, and property and not to wear a gun whenever to wherever I pleased."

Last week the 9th Circuit Court ruled on a 2nd Amendment case citing that citizens not only have the right to "keep" arms, but the right to "bear" them, contradicting Martin's interpretation.

The key part of the court's ruling was:

The Second Amendment secures the right not only to "keep" arms but also to "bear" them—the verb whose original meaning is key in this case. Saving us the trouble of pulling the eighteenth-century dictionaries ourselves, the Court already has supplied the word's plain meaning: "At the time of the founding, as now, to 'bear' meant to 'carry.'" Heller, 554 U.S. at 584.3 Yet, not "carry" in the ordinary sense of "convey[ing] or transport[ing]" an object, as one might carry groceries to the check-out counter or garments to the laundromat, but "carry for a particular purpose—confrontation." Id.

Sadly, South Carolina is one of the 6 states that prevent citizens from exercising the full rights provided in 2nd Amendment.

As noted by Breitbart, Arizona made the move to Constitutional Carry in April 2010, when Governor Jan Brewer (R) signed a law recognizing an AZ citizens' right to carry handguns openly or concealed without a permit. When she signed the bill she said, "This bill not only protects the Second Amendment rights of Arizona citizens, but restores those rights as well."

Mississippi has adopted Constitutional Carry for those who carry firearms openly and Oklahoma passed an open carry bill in 2012.

Governor Nikki Haley has openly supported the bill and recently signed Restaurant Carry into law that allows CWP holders to conceal carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Gov. Haley made a statement regarding Constitutional Carry, "Criminals are dangerous, and I think every resident should be allowed to protect themselves from criminals."

Read more at Republicans Kill South Carolina's Pro-Second Amendment Bill : Freedom Outpost
    Aceoky, OldVet and John_W_in_SC like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

My view of the 2nd Amendment has always been the right to own guns and keep them in our homes, business, and property and not to wear a gun whenever to wherever I pleased."
    So I guess he "thinks" one's Right to worship ends at his front door> The Right to peaceably assemble ONLY inside his own home - what a DOOFUS - leaving out the BEAR arms part of the 2nd - not by accident either

It is a GREAT thing that "his stupid opinion" doesn't really mean a thing

Wish you all the best in getting rid of such stupid "Representatives"
    Sister likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    So I guess he "thinks" one's Right to worship ends at his front door> The Right to peaceably assemble ONLY inside his own home - what a DOOFUS - leaving out the BEAR arms part of the 2nd - not by accident either

Wish you all the best in getting rid of such stupid "Representatives"
    And that is exactly what the tea party in SC is doing - getting rid of these Doofuses! Lee Bright (hopefully) will be replacing Lindsay Graham (RINO) and Martin has got to go too.
    Aceoky, deadguy and WHEC724 like this.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    It's bad when even the Republicans screw us over. Maybe the difference between the 2 parties is really much less than I thought.
    RoadKill, Sister and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Everyone has a right to do as they see fit,that's legal obviously..What someone decides to do is a personal decision and none of my business..I will write and email and do what i can to help with gun rights..I wouldn't ever email or call anyone to hurt OCing,but i won't ever do anything to help it either. I wouldn't ever OC but it's each to their own.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    I am outraged by that mans ignorance! I hope yall replace him quickly. We need to stand together and cut the cancer from the body anytime is rears its head. I am sorry the bill failed.
    Aceoky and Sister like this.

A politician is a politician regardless of what party affiliation... The only worry about the money, getting rich!!!
    RoadKill likes this.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    It's bad when even the Republicans screw us over. Maybe the difference between the 2 parties is really much less than I thought.
    Most, definitely. The pro big-government democrats (...essentially all of them) and the pro big-government republicans differ on smallish social issues. They both greatly dislike conservatives. There are 2 things that may happen in the future. The republican party can either shift to being a conservative party - or a third party will eventually rise up. Personally, I can't stand the 2 party system. Our laws have become incredibly obtrusive and complex. The party overlap is too great to be divided in half.
    SigIsTheAnswer likes this.

VIP Member
    For those that haven't gone to a tea party meeting I suggest you try it. This is exactly why the IRS is going after the TP, power in numbers and slowly we are winning and they (Gubment) knows it. We (ALL OF YOU) need to use your vote to fight this anti 2A group no matter what party they are running for.

Another bonus of the TP meetings is that you learn about new gun ranges opening up and make great shooting friends!
    molleur and Aceoky like this.

~ Jesus ~

I started going to Tea Party meetings off and on a few years ago. I am the youngest person there every time. But my political beliefs are in lined with theirs. I just hope the youth wake up and stop being brainwashed by ;liberal professors on how to act and think.
    molleur, Sister and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Great post, Sister. I, too, am surprised by the Republican vote. I may be a registered Republican, but that doesn't mean I vote Republican. Those folks would be out the door with my vote.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Send them to college and they still come out Stupid.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWarden View Post
    Send them to college and they still come out Stupid.
    Stupid is as stupid does, so says Forrest Gump!
    Sister likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    I started going to Tea Party meetings off and on a few years ago. I am the youngest person there every time. But my political beliefs are in lined with theirs. I just hope the youth wake up and stop being brainwashed by ;liberal professors on how to act and think.
    I notice at the meetings that there are not that many under 30yo (40 actually). That's a shame since it's the under 30 that this gubment is targeting for 0 care and are getting screwed out of jobs.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I notice at the meetings that there are not that many under 30yo (40 actually). That's a shame since it's the under 30 that this gubment is targeting for 0 care and are getting screwed out of jobs.
    I am 28. And you are right. Luckily there is a lot of conservative youth in my area. My local High School just start the High School Republicans group.AWESOME! I am just sad that the Repubs are turning into Democrat Lite.
    Aceoky and Sister like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links